HybridZ

Transmission Dimensions

johnc

Nissan Type C 5 Speed '87 200SX Non-Turbo

Weight: 75 lbs.

Length (bellhousing to end of tailshaft housing): 31"

Shifter position (bellhousing to center pivot): 27.5"

Pretty sure that the 200SX trans is the transmission case to use, as it requires only that the dust collar on the driveshaft be removed. No need for a 50mm shorter driveshaft, just cut the dust collar spot welds, and it fits. All C box transmission internals can be used in the 200SX trans case; I recently swapped my 200SX gearset for a modded 240SX/720 pickup gearset to get the gear spacings set up the way I think I'll like them.

i was thinking of using a 72-74 4-speed in my 73 with a 3:36 diff which now has a zx 5-speed instead of swapping the rear gear (3:90 r-200) as i'm about to drop in a f-54/p-79 flat top motor in the car and i'm gonna pull the trans with it anyway.

the gear ratio's match up pretty close through all the gears with the 4-speed/3:36 and the late 5-speed/3:90 except for the OD which is 2:92 with the 3:90 (i think).

is the zx 5-speed stronger than the 4-speed?

is the zx 5-speed stronger than the 4-speed?

No, except the early 240Z 4 speed (the "A" box unit) came out of a Roadster. That one is weak but you're unlikely to come across one.

Edited by johnc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a z32 transmission sitting out in the garage waiting for my adaptor. Ill try and weigh it for you guys. Its certainly more beefy then the stock unit!!!! And just a head up for those of you looking to do the swap, you can get a z32 trans for cheap. I picked up mine with 88K miles and very clean for 300 bucks including hte shifter assymbly. They are known to hold over 600hp.

Alrighty here are the deminsions,

Z32 Manual Transmission:

Length (bellhousing to tailhousing): 30.25"

Shifter Position (bellhousing to center pivot): 34.5"

Trans MOunt position (bellhousing to center of mount): 24.5"

*z32 Shifter is straight up and down unlike the shifters on the first gen trannies which slope back towards you so this helps offset the shifter location diffference.

Weight on bathroom scales so approximate is 123pounds, NA and TT about the same.

• 2 years later...

Same as the head bolts. This would be revealed in a search of the archives.

EDIT: BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with transmission dimensions or weights.

Edited by Leon

• 9 months later...

Yes they are.

The Z31 300zx has the engine quite a bit forward of the firewall so compared to the fs5w71b from a S130, the shifter will be a bit further from the bellhousing flange......but not as far as the Z32.

I don't know the exact measurement but it should be the same or extremely close to the fs5w71c from the non-turbo as far as shifter location.

I guess you could call it medium distance with the pathfinder Fs5r30 being the short distance and the Z32 being the long distance from bellhousing to shifter.

One thing to know if you're contemplating adapting a VG30 engined car's trans to the L engine is that there were more than 1 starter locations so and that the pathfinder transmission bellhousing shape does not fit the Z32 transmission adapters.

I'm not sure whether the adapters fit the Z31 version of the FS5r30a transmission.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

• 1 month later...

Guys

I plan to install the Borg Warner T5 that came with my donor car for my S30 L28ET swap. I understand the console needs modifications because the shifter sits car forward to much. kudos to this site. I'm looking for pictures showing this interfearence condition.

Seems like I also read a mustang shifter added has a much better feel. This Mustang shifter has a set back/offset to the actual shift rod. Does this solve the problem, make it worse or what?

Really hate to cut on 40 year old console.

thanks guys