HybridZ

300ZX Z32 LS1 Swap

Guest camaro5842

Guest TUNEPORTZ32

I just completed a tune port corvette motor and trans swap to a 90 300zx

[originally twin turbo,4 wheel steer car,no firewall mods necessary.removed the factory trans mount from underbody with plasma cutter.cut center section from factory subframe,lowered 2.5 inches and rewelded with bracing.engine fits with gobs of space,radiator is moved to where condensor once lived,very easy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[originally twin turbo,4 wheel steer car,no firewall mods necessary.removed the factory trans mount from underbody with plasma cutter.cut center section from factory subframe,lowered 2.5 inches and rewelded with bracing.engine fits with gobs of space,radiator is moved to where condensor once lived,very easy.

No tranny tunnel massaging required? Which oil pan and tranny did you use?

If you lowered the subframe 2.5" did the rack go with it? Wouldn't that mess with the steering geometry? I would love to see some pictures of the swap...

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators
he used the Camaro oil pan? I'm almost certain that it fits with that pan. The Camaro pan is lower than the others and with diff. engine mounts it shouldn't pose a problem for the firewall breadth at all.

Just a heads up. Currently doing an LSx Z-32 converison, plan to retain the firewall fully intact, i.e. not cutting or smashing of the firewall or tunnel entrance, and after stabbing a 5.3 in the engine bay with the truck pan, (also have the F-bod and C-5 vette pan in hand), I can 100% confirm that the Vette and F-bod oil pan will NOT clear the rack! The GTO pan might be the answer, having to move the engine further forward, (bellhousing mating plane in the same location as the VG30DE). You could use the F-bod pan, but essentially would only be using for the block mounting flange as you build a new pan with a very short length sump with kick outs, only 5" deep to keep ground clearance and oil capacity.

There are some pics showing this clearance issue in this thread;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142025