HybridZ

300ZX Z32 LS1 Swap

Guest camaro5842

Guest Ghostrider88

yea, thats some serious cash, but would be totally a sick car. I've been looking into it and its actually not much more expensive for the LS2 engine which is another 50-60 hp. Thats the motor I'll be putting in.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emailed them about the kit for the Z32 and as of now there is no such kit. They are currently looking for a customer willing to donate their car to do the conversion.... In my email it was noted that said customer would receive a discounted labor rate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ghostrider88

there shouldnt be any sort of firewall conversion. its really just motor mounts and transmission fittings. the LS is no taller than the VG30DETT. and it being slightly longer is corrected by the radiator upgrades.

I have done this swap with an LT1 and it was not too bad. You would need to build a new firewall/tranny tunnel to do it right and have the proper clearence up front and around the transmission. Here is a link to my pics of the build and a little vid of the startup.... http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/DanShields_2007/

Has anyone tried to adapt the Z32 tranny to the LSx engine on a swap? Ive seen some very powerful TT Zs that the tranny is still holding up on so im sure it could hold out for a basic LSx swap.

I'm not aware of anyone but I know you could make an adapter plate to mait the LSx block to the Z32 tranny although if you could have a chance to put a T56 in the car I would personally do so over the Z32 tranny just my .02

• Administrators
Has anyone tried to adapt the Z32 tranny to the LSx engine on a swap? Ive seen some very powerful TT Zs that the tranny is still holding up on so im sure it could hold out for a basic LSx swap.

I haven’t seen or heard of anyone doing that, though that is not to say it hasn’t been done. There is currently a Z-32 tranny adaptor for the L-6 engine.

I have also heard and witnessed the Z-32 trannies holding up to big power, but having owned a couple Z-32's and driven a few of these trannies, I personally don’t like them, at all. They are known for soft/weak synchros and with some mileage on them, are quite crunchy in some gears, typically 4th and 5th, are the first synchros to go, then 1st. Mine currently has intermittent 5th gear crunch, even during very slow shifts, though other times works fine even for spirited up shifts?!?! My 4th gear shifts fine, for now any how, 2nd and 3rd are also just fine. My first gear is so bad I am just looking for an excuse to rip this POS tranny out of the car and put something else in its place. Wont down shift into 1st at all unless the car is not rolling, i.e at a complete stop! SUCKS for tight autcross tracks when you need to shift down to 1st, as this tranny wont!

If I were I were to stick with a monster VG30DE/TT I would ditch this tranny in a heart beat and finding a way to get the T-56 to bolt up, and with any other big torque engine conversions, I wouldn’t hesitate in using the T-56 especially with the SBC and LS-x as it bolts right up, no special clutch etc, weighs “exactly” the same the Z-32 5 speed, is known to be bullet proof and isn’t prone to weak/soft synchros.

Just my $.02

I'm not aware of anyone but I know you could make an adapter plate to mait the LSx block to the Z32 tranny although if you could have a chance to put a T56 in the car I would personally do so over the Z32 tranny just my .02

My concern was more of the fact that everyone that does this swap has to chew up the firewall because the T56 has such a large bellhousing compared to the Z32 tranny.

There is another guy here in jax that has done an LSx swap and I believe he left the firewall alone and had the oil pan modified to clear the rack. I think if anything he just had to message the tranny tunnel a little. Plus on the LSx style tranny they have an internal slave wich allows for more clearance. I chose to redo the firewall and tunnel to allow me to set the engine further back and higher up to allow for better clearance and weight distribution. This was my first time doing sheet metal work and I thought it turned out alright. Trust me the T56 is well worth the hassel!

Guest Ghostrider88

THATS what it was. when LS swapping a Z32 you have to use the camaro oil pan. the corvette and GTO oil pans are taller and do not fit without strong customization. with the camaro pan, you shouldnt need to change the firewall at all!

THATS what it was. when LS swapping a Z32 you have to use the camaro oil pan. the corvette and GTO oil pans are taller and do not fit without strong customization. with the camaro pan, you shouldnt need to change the firewall at all!

I believe that was the one he used and you still have to modify the oil pan... I wish I got a chance to get a good look at it but I was too busy at the time. I'll ask around and see if I can't find out if he's still around and get some pictures of the swap...

Guest Ghostrider88

he used the Camaro oil pan? I'm almost certain that it fits with that pan. The Camaro pan is lower than the others and with diff. engine mounts it shouldn't pose a problem for the firewall breadth at all.

yup, the steering rack also poses the problem. because it sits behind the front crossmember it actually forces the engine back unless you modify the oil pan. not only is that a problem but then you also have an oversized bellhousing you have to deal with. the factory tranny tunnel is abnormally small comparitive not only in height but in width. modifying the oil pan allows you to get that extra few inches to slide the engine forward to avoid this problem.... would I do it this way? no because it throws the natrual balance of the car off wich you will notice in driving the car... although I went with the LT1 it is pretty much the same deal....