HybridZ

letterbox style hood vents

Guest grimlynsan

To my memory, I don't think anyone has. I personally think that it wouldn't look good on a Z because of a couple fators. The "power buldge" on the early z is too gradual of a buldge, the volvo in the pic has a more acute transision almost to the point that its perpendicular to the ground.

Guest grimlynsan

I too thought this. it is difficult to visualise but imagine an entire hood similar to the one on the volvo on the z. The entire hood would be raised with near verticle sides... It would probably look pretty stupid though

Yeah, the "Competition Hood Vent Kit" or something like that, was actually a vapor-lock band-aid, but it was similar. As someone pointed out though, a stock hood has too gradual of a curve. The part we are talking about sits on top of the power buldge, so that the top of the stock buldge is the bottom of the vent opening.

I had that scoop on my old Z originally, (you can see the front left tip of it in the picture). I disliked it so much, I traded that hood for a stock hood and had to repaint it. In person it just looks so "glued on" and out of place. It doesn't flow at all, and IMHO doesn't even look right on a race car.

Two years ago I worked up an illustration of an idea I had for side venting the modest height Z hood bulge. Shape of vent holes is not finalized in my mind, but I am leaning toward progressive large to small tear drop or oval shaped holes manually cut out from forward bulge area to rear. Depending upon color of car I had also envisioned finding or making decorative chrome or polished aluminum trim rings or "collars" for each cut out hole that would lay close to flush to the painted surfaces of the hood.

You can see my concept illustration wherein the cut outs are not pictured at very large scale at http://www.zparts.com/showcase/sleekz/szconcepts/gnose1/gnose1d.html

A variation of that illustration is in the "Illustrations" gallery of the Z CAR SHOWCASE demo v3 at http://www.zparts.com/showcase/zcsc/default.html

Regarding the "special Datsun factory" hood bulge that Jason Jarvis posted, it seems to me that possibly "InterPart" (now out of business) also listed that for sale in it's old catalogs. Tweeks may also have sold it.

Seems to me that if one wanted that design to look good that the entire original metal hood bulge would have to be cut out and an a complete custom fabricated "raised" metal bulge, with side vents added, would need to be tig welded into place and blended in professionally.

Sleek Z