HybridZ

camber Plates where to buy them?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with the guys with Techno-toy Tuning on Friday of this past week about their product line, their experiences, and some that I've had with suspension designs...

These guys aren't hobby shopping. They are a full production facility that only produces parts full time for a living, and not someone like myself when I ran ZF Racing Suspensions as a side venture, or others we rely on for parts in the Zcar world.

Based on what I learned when I spoke with them, I believe their parts are truly worth a second or third look. The are good looking, and certainly almost "bling" to look at. However, they are sending these parts to teams in Africa in support of Ralley racing. That says a LOT about the integrity of the parts.

The reason I mention this here is that they have now started offering camber plates for Datsun Zs, and they can provide insterts for the monoballs to fit which ever shaft you require for strut insert diameter.

I'll be picking up four plates from them shortly and doing a full write up for the install.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

hi bought set of arizona z car camber plates and coil overs wondering if anyone else here has fitted them

Im running bilstein struts looking at the set up do i need to run a bearing between the coil over cap and the mono ball in the camber plate or does the monoball act as the bearing

also do the mono bearing come in different sizes as the ones supplied dont fit on my bilstein struts othe idea is to mache the strut down the small amount needed to fit

Hope someone can help

thanks

Mick

• 2 months later...

I'll be picking up four plates from them shortly and doing a full write up for the install.

Mike

These look like the best camber plate option in my opinion, just anxious to see how they turned out for you. Are you going to use the full coilover setup they supply?

john

the msa ones only adjust to +/- .7. I think you can straticly place some washers and do better than that "joking".. I just ordered the DP camber plates, 185$ for bolt on that looks to give much much more adjustability than the msa mounts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So my techno toy tuning camber plates came, and they are very pretty, and it appears they may have changed their design from a weld in to a bolt in. Unless I recieved the wrong ones. I sent him [Gabe] an email a couple days ago, but havent gotten a reply back yet, so i figured I'd ask you guys about it. My concern is that they dont really allow for much negative camber adjustment, because whent he plate is lined up with the 1st hole, it looks like it puts the strut in the same place. I can weld up the hole and drill a new one however [or slot it]... and I do have adj. LCAs , so i'm thinking I should be able to get a good amount of adjustment. my other concern is that they dont sit flush because the front of the strut housing bends down. im thinking i should cut that out and weld in a piece so its one flat plane, instead of bashing it flat with a hammer, would I be correct in my assumption? anyways here's some pics, tell me what you think.

i think it'd be better if they had 2 holes in the front spread out so that it can slide over more

camberplates003.jpg

camberplates004.jpg

how far over it sits pushed inboard.

camberplates005.jpg

how they'd sit in the stock bolt hole

camberplates006.jpg

slotted hole. look like enough adjustment?

hope this isnt too much of a thread jack...

• 1 month later...

Front Camber Plates installed today.

Bought the plates from Arizona Zcar as I plan to use his suspension in this project. Nice stuff he has.

Cut out the hole to rough shape with Plasma Cutter.

cut.jpg

Bend the plate to match the contour of the strut top.

bend.jpg

Trial fit the piece in place

fit.jpg

Align the plates. I bent a piece of aluminum to aid in alignment.

align.jpg

Mig weld the pieces in place and grind to look nice.

weld.jpg

See the full restore log:

http://www.desertzassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=759

http://www.desertzassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used MSA's style below for just the rears? I dont need anything fancy, just something to put some +camber back in that the lowering springs went overboard on -camber.

I guess I shou ask if these are ok to use on the fronts also to gain a little bit ore -camber. Until we do coilovers/weld in plates later next year this is just a temporary cheap alternative.

streetcamber.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Arizona Z car weld in camber plates are $99.00 per corner. Which adds up to $198.00 per set.

Ground Control bolt on camber plates are $299.00 per set.

The $185.00 per set does not seem so expensive in comparison.

Brian, did you look at the "racing" version that MSA has (what you have pictured is the "street" version)?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC09

It sounds like you aren't looking to spend that much but I would be curious if you, or anyone else, had any thoughts on that one. thanks

I think those are the EMI plates. If not, they're basically the same thing. Search "biscuit camber plate" and you should find a lot of info. There is probably info in this very thread, I'm just too lazy to look for you.

Question for the AZC and TTT camber plate owners: Did you paint the bottom of the strut tower, and when you adjust it doesn't it scrape the paint right off? I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if it might not be better to do some zinc plating on them before welding them in...