HybridZ

camber Plates where to buy them?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 510 camber plates are probably the most direct correlation for the ZX. The Z is tough to fit a camber plate to because the strut tops are so small. You have a ton of room in the ZX and can easily fit a caster/camber plate in there and have it move enough to really make a difference.

You might ask one of the manufacturers. They should be easy to find plates for, you can probably use just about anything.

I think 510 camber plates are probably the most direct correlation for the ZX. The Z is tough to fit a camber plate to because the strut tops are so small. You have a ton of room in the ZX and can easily fit a caster/camber plate in there and have it move enough to really make a difference.

You might ask one of the manufacturers. They should be easy to find plates for, you can probably use just about anything.

Thanks Ill look into it, ever since I lowered my car my rear wheels have looked like thier camber was a bit negative so thats why i wanted to know.

• 10 months later...

It appears, that when switching to either the Techno Tuning or AZC camber plate kits, you would not have the ability of using strut tower bars in conjunction with them.

The mounting plates bolt locations are set-up for stock.

That does seem to be an issue when using John C's EMI kit, since it utilizes the stock perches.

Can anybody confirm this?

You can use a strut tower bar with any of them, you might have to make your own mounts for the strut towers. On the AZC or TTT units that would require either welding mounts to the strut tops (which is stiffer and stronger anyway) or drilling holes in the strut top and making new ends that bolt to the modified strut towers.

Really? dam, i got all excited when i found the techno toy tuning 510 camber plates and it said they were for the 280zx also:cry2: Man, hopefully i wont be needing them anytime soon.

You can use them on the front but with the rear trailing arm set up on ZXs it doesn't work in the back.

• 1 year later...

Since this is the sticky for everyone looking for appropriate information, Ground Control just changed their design so that it utilizes a spherical bearing to properly pivot to the required angle to match the camber setting. Jon posts good images in the thread below:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=150039

I think they changed it a long time ago. I bought the original set of plates that I sold to you about 15 years ago. Jay over at Ground Control said that he didn't even remember selling the flat set (which I find a bit hard to believe). The difference again is fairly minor, but the new set allows the spring to change its angle relative to the bottom of the camber plate. Since on the old style the top hats and perches change angle relative to each other, that bends the spring in addition to compressing it.

Here are the pictures:

Old Style: Flat top of spring hat and bottom of plate. The torrington bearing goes in the recess in the top hat.

DSCN3092.jpg

New style: Rounded bottom of plate meets concave steel bearing thingy on the spring hat, which allows the spring hat to change direction respective to the plate. Torrington bearing is under the concave bearing thingy:

DSCN3093.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Yeah but where is the z and zx stuff...looks to me like he came on this site with alot to offer but isnt offering much to us yet? I'd love to see some camber plates from him for very cheap since he has access.

i got a hold of some stock strut mounts so i will have some plates avaiable soon

theres really no need the spherical beaing is capable of tackling the rotation of the strut...

Ground control and others would disagree. By the way the needle bearing does more than deal with the rotation of the strut. What does the weight of the vehicle rest on with a needle bearing in place? What does it rest on in your camber plate?

Ground control and others would disagree. By the way the needle bearing does more than deal with the rotation of the strut. What does the weight of the vehicle rest on with a needle bearing in place? What does it rest on in your camber plate?

the weight rests on the spherical bearing which is rated more then 4 z31 weighed together.. the needle bearing is only for aiding in rotation of the spring

the weight rests on the spherical bearing which is rated more then 4 z31 weighed together..

The bearing itself (typically a COM10) is rated anywhere from 2,500 (cheap Chinese bearing) to 9,195 (NHBB Astro) for axial load. But the liner will pound out long before the rated load is reached. A spherical bearing used in a camber plate to handle spring loads will usually loosen up and cause problems within a year or two.

Ground Control's original design used the spherical bearing to carry spring loads and Jay changed it for the reasons listed above.