HybridZ

A New Direction

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Guest TheHappyHeathen

I had been planning on making suspension work the first thing I did on my car, but plans have changed, because, well, because my baby broke down on the bridge and her engine's shot. I am planning on a full on engine/tranny swap since I'll have to do major engine work anyway. I see a lot of people are going for the LS1, what's the best way to jump into this whole business? I have buddies that know cars and access to a lift, but what's the break down of engines for compatible swaps and corresponding trans. and why one over the other? I hadn't planned on swapping, so I haven't done my homework. I am a firm believer in doing things right, so you only them once, I don't wanna put something in and crack a block or drop a trans.

I've been away from this forum for a year and a half, and during this time, it seems that a lot of people are going with the LS1. Nice motor, but it doesn't seem to be as easy a swap as a Gen I motor, and it's much cheaper to build a stroker with the older block. You'll get more a lot more performance (potentially) for your dollar.

That being said, when my motor blows up in my 93 RX-7, I'm considering an LS1 transplant because it's torquey compared to the rotary and it weighs almost the same. That, combined with the fact that I would get considerably better gas mileage is incredible.

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Hey, thanks to all for the insight. Hopefully I'll be back tearing up the roads soon. I love my honda, but not that way. So, while I'm tearing things apart, what's the best way to get more performance out of the LS1? And any thoughts on what to do with the trans I already have, it works, but does anybody want a 25 year old stock transmission?

This is an ironic thread !!!! I am from San Diego Ca- and I know Live In Hiram Georgia. My wife keeps asking me when will I get started on the motor swap, and I am procrastinating (spelling). I have looked at every small block combination and vendor I could find, and looked at the LS1 and LT1 combos on ebay and here in the southeast. From the spreadsheets I have created the cost for example a new 350 deluxe or zz4 fastburn with a TKO 500 transmission and JTR kit - compared to a used LS1/T56 including Johns cars mounting kit, going to Speartech to modify computer including misc stuff-headers,exhaust, cooling fan, fuel pump..........run pretty close in cost. I making my choice best on my skill and limitations and long term on what and how I want to enjoy my car.

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Just read the whole John's Cars site, why not go small block? I'm not going to race this thing, I just wanna smoke tires and get a little rumble going. I really wonder about buying a complete camaro/firebird, that's gonna be tough, I don't have the money to buy a newer, running Camaro. Like a said, I wanna do this right, and get everything I want, how much should I be expecting to lay down?

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Hey, I didn't quite follow where you were going Dude, are you saying the JTR small block set-up costs about the same as the LS1 or that a new engine costs the same as LS1 salvo?

Yes, when you compare a new G.M. crate SBC motor with a new TKO 500 or 600 tranny set-up versus a used LS1/T56 combos the final costs for a running car are close. Hopefully, you may run into a killer deal on a LS1/T56 combo with low miles and in good shape that would be perfect. I am leaning towards a SBC/TKO combo, however I am in envy of Phantom, DaleMX and several others who took the LS1 leap and have been successful with the swap.

Yea, I got lucky on Ebay with mine. I got the LS1/T56 from a 99 firebird with 28,000 on it and paid a little less than 4000 with shipping. Getting a whole car is not necessary. I used aftermarket parts and Datsun parts.

Speartech made the harness.

JTR did the headers and radiator.

Fan came from a Taurus.

Ripped out most of the electrical system and re-wired it myself (that was stupid, should have gotten the painless lighting and relay kit).

John’s cars supplied the mounts, the adapters for the Datsun senders and the A/C (not yet installed).

I removed the power steering pump from the engine and re-routed the belt system. Got a cam , heads, LS6 intake, 30 lb. injectors, ported TB, and did a homemade air intake then tuned the computer using EFI live and ran magnaflow mufflers that dump just before the axle to scare away rice and act as a leaf blower for my driveway. At 900 rpm it really has a very noticeable lope to it. I cant go to the store without somebody approaching me and asking me about it. Then I get into a 20 minute conversation and sometimes forget what I went to the store for.

This week has been dedicated to getting heat. The 28-year-old Datsun heater coil, valve, and control module were toast, along with all the open cell foam they used in the unit. I rebuilt the unit and hooked it up tonight and tested it. Oh joy, heat! Tomorrow the dash goes back in and I’m on the road for the winter.

FWIW I am now in the process of fitting the LS1 with a 2003 Vette over the radiator air intake fitting and matching air filter to the Z. Looks like it will fit with some metal removal in front of the radiator and the hood has that clearance down the middle of it and that gives plenty of room for the fitting. The air filter box will fit in front of the radiator just fine. That will be really trick!

I wish you the best if you decide to go this route! It’s not real hard, it just takes a lot of work, and a steady supply of money! Just don’t get caught up in the "while I’m at it syndrome". Mine is coming apart later for that type of detail and I’m glad I did it this way because I can see what really need’s to be done, and I have gotten very familiar with the car so that should make it a lot easier.

DaleMX, you are being modest, I have been reading your posts as well as others and you have SKILLS !!!!:).

TheHappyHeathen,

My neighbor has built WS6 Trans AM (LS1) and I can here him come through the neighborhood - and I can visualize his drivetrain in a Z. On the other hand my buddy Troy has a 383 Stroker carbureted Z and nitrous and boy is it a fun car !!!!I will be happy with either at this point.

if the cost of the johns cars kit is making you sweat (as it did me) let it be known that you don't need to buy it. i was able to fab mounts similar to the ones mark made (though not as pretty) in less than a day, in a barn, with only a bandsaw and a lincon 110v welder. by cutting the stock mounting towers off you can leave the alternator and A/C compressor in stock locations and for not too much money have the engine with full accessories mounted in a z.

do what you will, but don't let the cost of a ready made kit keep you from what you want.

--gabe

I have a 383 stroker with a TKO600 for my Zcar, but have the 375WHP/370#ft.Torque LS1/T56 in the Vette. I have less money in the complete LS1 build up and tune and the LS1 will probably outperform the 383 stroker (Although the 383 is rated at more HP) and certainly will be dead nuts reliable. This LS1 pulls like a freight train, should put this 3200# Corvette into the 11.7-11.8 second 1/4 mile range at around 118mph and gets well over 26mpg with a mix of spirited and conservative driving around town and on the highway. I've seen as high as 32mpg. :shock:

My 383 stroker was in my previous Zcar with a T56 and I never got over 20MPG. It also had tuning/ drivability issues, and the T56 was useless when matched to that particular setup. 6th speed lugged the motor so low, I couldn't pull enough vacuum for the cam I was running, and to get into the powerband on the cam, I had to be doing 90mph in 6th, which put me above the magical 1600rpm limit for vacuum.

I'll never own another Gen1 motor when I've either sold or killed this 383 stroker that is sitting on the engine stand, brand new. The new generation smallblock chevy is in my opinion, far superior, far more efficient, and much lighter (almost 100#)! :shock:

Mike :cool:

Great Mike.....just when I thought I had everything all headed in the right direction, you had to put doubt in my head. I love those LS1's. Too bad I already took the plunge. Like I said, a 2800 pound RX-7 with an LS1 would rock, and I'd get about DOUBLE the gas mileage! Those rotaries are thirsty.

Oh trust me, I'm feeling your pain. I'd almost take a huge loss on the 383 stroker just to get into an LS1 for the Z. I'm taking serious notes on Mark Icard's build up with his drysump and related goodies for road race setups.

Mike