HybridZ

Why do I not have Oil Coming through ALL Pushrods???

After getting my engine running, I attempted to adjust the valves with the engine running. With the engine running, only three pushrods are pumping oil into the top of the valvetrain, two are pumping like crazy(1 on each side), and the third is just squirting a little. I'm sure this is also why my top end is noisy, even after PROPER valve adjustment, that being engine off, warmed up, and adjusting one valve at a time, turning the crank by hand, intake, then exhaust, etc. What could be the problem?? All pushrods are straight and clear. Help !!!!

Is the oil pressure OK. It sounds like the oil is not getting to the top with nearly enough volume. Could be bearings in the bottom end or maybe cam bearings. I had a big block doing this. Almost no oil pressure at hot idle. This had a spun cam bearing, a couple of the mains were pretty worn also. Find the source of this problem before running this car as it will destroy things quickly.

ASSUMING they are hydrolic flat tappet lifters your refering too...it sounds like youve got the lash too tight on most of the lifters, or the lifter seats are gumed up or stuck in the lower possision, with the engine at idle back off the rocker nut untill the lifter starts clicking, LET IT CLICK for a few seconds while the oil pressure raises the pushrod seat to the max then slowly tighten the rocker JUST to the point the clicking stops,then back it of just till you hear it start again, this will free up most stuck lifter seats, then tighten the rocker JUST to the point the clicking stops, then add about 1/4-1/2 turn more.its not uncomon to see new lifters with the pushrod seats slightly stuck in the lower location,or improperly adjusted lifters get stuck, especially if the engines lash clearances were set before starting the engine and cold, oil flow raised the seats, compressing the oil under the seat forces oil up the pushrod to the rocker, if the pushrod seat in the lifter can,t expand when the lifters on the cams base circle it has no oil to force up the pushrods, on some styles of hydrolic lifters, as theres a valve that only opens to flow when the lifters on the cams base circle, and valve spring pressure is minimal

btw Id add a qt of marvel mystery oil to your engine it dissolves crud, and frees up sticking lifters very effectively

...btw Id add a qt of marvel mystery oil to your engine it dissolves crud, and frees up sticking lifters very effectively

Really?!? How about Berryman's B-12 Chemtool or something like that? Are these products similar? Reason I ask is that I never have used Marvel Mystery Oil and I always thought it to be 'snake oil' since I never met anyone that used it before...

Davy

Marvel Mystery oil is a high detergent lubricant "top end oil" from back when engines needed significantly more user maintenance than they do now from a metallurgical, design, and oip standpoint. ATF can be used in a similar manner. Not snake oil, but if you have something really screwed up, obviously it won't fix that...

MIKE C

is correct MARVEL MYSTERY OIL is NOT SNAKE OIL, its simply a VERY HIGH QUALITY DETERGENT oil that does EXACTLY what it says it does,it CLEANS and removes deposites, I normally put a pint into the 10qts of MOBLE ONE SYNTHETIC I use when I change oil and it does seem to keep the film you normally get on the inside of the valve covers at a minimum, and adding a qt to an engine thats mildly gunked up about 100-400 miles before your next oil change makes a very noticable differance in the crud that drains out

THE STUFF WORKS