HybridZ

Want to build LT1 Datsun. How much $$??

93TA

If I want to build an LT1 Z (R200 rear i think, I guess other than that, any 240/260/280Z).. how much money am I looking at? I strongly prefer being able to use a 6-speed T56 transmission if that is possible. That combo is what I have in my LT1 Trans Am right now.

I want to build a Z that is a very reliable LT1 Z. The paint can be bad as long as the body is GOOD. The stock motor and tranny can be very high mile since I want to swap them out anyway.

What am I lookin at?

Welcome to the board 93TA. I've seen cars built for as little as 2 to 3 grand to as much as 25g's. It really all depends if you don't get caught in the "Might as well" syndrome. For example I budgeted 10 grand for my car. Now I ended up with over 20. Everything on my car is brand new. from the trans to the seats. I know Alot of guys will tell you to use the search function here. So try a search on Jagsthatrun. Jags That Run is a web site that sell a kit for the SBC. Broken kitty is another that sells a kit for the new gen3 LS serios of engines. Try a search you'll find ALOT of info.

I would figure 10 grand is going to cover it. It could be more and it could be less depending on what deals you can find. Check around for a wrecked Z28 or Trans Am, or a complete assembly including wiring, PCM, etc. Start looking for a good straight Z in your area. what about upgraded brakes, wheels, other modifications, etc?

If you're really serious you need to start by getting the JTR book to know what's going to be involved with the swap.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Good luck.

Yeah, not sure whether this is good or bad, but I probably wouldn't fall into the "might as well" category.. being that if this happens it will be this next summer or the following summer... I'm a Bio Pre-med major.. and will HAVE to do this low budget if at all.

As far as the actually rolling car... how can I find a good one that won't need alot of work other than paint and the engine swap? I don't want to have to fix everything... as I am only moderately experienced in car mechanics.

Finding a good rolling chassis without rust pretty much means you need to look in the south west. Arizona, California, Utah, New Mexico, etc..

I did an LT1 swap and got the engine from a 1995 Caprice Cop car rather than a Camaro/TransAm. It's the same engine but has iron heads and a cam setup for low end torque. The B-body (Caprice, Roadmaster, Cadillac) engines are cheaper but will always come setup for a 4L60E rather than a T56. I didn't want a T56 so I used a World Class T5 instead.

So far my total cost is around $4500.00 with less than $500.00 to purchase the car itself.

I've done all the work myself except the exhuast. I still have to rebuild the interior and do the body work so I figure I still have another $3000.00 to $3500.00 to go.

That would put it around $7500.00 to $8000.00.

As stated before the end cost really depends on how much you do, how much of it you do yourself and how often you fall into the "While I'm at it" trap. Believe me it's hard to avoid the trap when you see something that really needs to be fixed or replaced while everything is torn apart. The temptation to do it now while it's accessible is extremely strong.

Wheelman

One of the frustrating things about the "how much am I looking at?" posts is that people quote 3k-20k, when I think the question that's really being asked is "How much to get the engine/trans in and running?". Any half brain should be able to figure out cost on brakes, paint, interior and cost of car.

O.k. I'll try one more time. I'll list prices for the most BASIC of basic installs. maunel $34. conversion kit $275. new motor mounts from autozone $45 . headers $170. radiator $140. radiator bracket $65. Electric fan( from a junkyard) $25. new Drive shaft $300 or have your shortended for about $200. Hoses $30 to $50. There you have it. The drivetrain, the car, the cost of the exhaust and so on is up to you. The price's I got are from Jagsthatrun (a.k.a. JTR )website. I hope that helps.

I have read alot about how to do stuff like this and talked to alot of T/A guys... but as far as paint and body.. i don't know THAT much.

How much rust is too much... or... what rust CAN be repaired. I think that will be a big issue for me... knowing REALLY what to look for to get started.