HybridZ

Fiberglass Dash Finish??

Mayolives

I have a fiberglass dash (PDK) that will be installed in my dedicated track car. The stock finish is a semi gloss black that reflects too much sun light. Any ideas on a good finish that will not reflect sunlight? Is there a spray on product that will work? I have considered having some type of material adhered to it but I think this could turn into a big pain to make look good.

It was truck bed liner. The albedo (for lack of a better term) can be changed, depending upon the how "wet" the material is applied. I used a product AutoZone sells (about $8 per spraycan, and one can bareless covers a dash) that is very durable when it hardens. Spraying it on "dry" provides a very low reflectance, but also makes the surface so rough that it makes it hard to clean (pulls lint out of any cloth used to wipe it down). A "wetter" application will provide more sheen, which is because it's smoother, and also allows easier cleaning. Flat black paint works well for this appicaton too, but it scratches more easily and will kick up a shine if coated with products like Armorall.

SEM is a paint manufacturer that specializes in vinyl/leather/plastic (mostly interior stuff) paint in spray cans. Used properly (clean, clean, clean) you can do a very good job with it. You can find it in most auto body paint stores, and now, I think, they have come out with some factory colors, instead of generic, although, the generic ones look good also. There is a thread here somewhere with all the directions.