HybridZ

Reduce Jumping Noises

johnc

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Racing-Dual-Coil-over-Coilover-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ8014559397QQrdZ1

COSMO Racing Adjustable Coil Over Kits are made for performance enthusiast who pursues the ultimate handling. These kits draw out maximum performance of the cars. It can improve hard cornering with confidence at all levels. You can also customize the hight as needed for wheel sizes as well as weather conditions.

THE DOUBLE SPRINGS DESIGN ENFORCE THE HANDLING WHEN FAST CORNERING AND ALSO REDUCE THE COMMON JUMPING NOISES HAPPENED TO MOST COILOVER KITS.

And the best part of the ad:

COSMO witticism

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, that's is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,

because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing

you bought it to do. The common law of business balance

prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done.

If you deal with the lower pricing seller, it's well to add something

for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough

to pay for a better service and product.

This link should work:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Racing-Dual-Coil-over-Coilover-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z_W0QQitemZ8014559397QQcategoryZ33586QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Look at the spring rates he's selling John. That may explain the "jumping noises". It's more like the car skipping off the top of the bumps in the road. Dorifto retardedness... :icon13:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105676

• 3 months later...
What are they? How do they install? Why are there spring coils hanging below the spring perch?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Racing-Dual-Coil-over-Coilovers-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z_W0QQitemZ8045071211QQcategoryZ33586QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, they appear to be just like any other coil over set with the exception of using two springs per corner. Typically, a two spring set-up is used so two different rates are combined.....lower rate for the small bumps (street driving and comfort) and when the lower rate spring binds the higher rate takes over for the bigger loads. Seems to me however, that one would be better off with a single spring with the rate you need for your driving style. Also, they appear to install just like all the other coil over sets. This design is nothing new.

I think they mean by the "REDUCE THE COMMON JUMPING NOISES" is by the additional spring. That smaller spring is probably just a spring to keep compression on the system when it is at full droop. My thoughts anyway...

Unless you're Luke Duke or Bo Duke, you aren't going to see full droop until you put the car on a rack or jack it up. When that happens you just be careful to set the springs on the perches right. I've had coilovers for years and I've only missed once. Made one big BONG!!! sound as I drove down the street. Of course this is probably for drifters who run 800 in/lb springs that are 6 inches long and that being the case they might run into that problem more frequently.

They're displaying it wrong cygnus. It has the top spring, then a separator, then a bottom spring, then the perch which screws onto the threaded part.

Oh! that makes a little more sense. I am not seeing the spring perch but seeing the separator. OK all better.

Dual springs seems an OK idea for street but I would think that a sudden spring rate change during hard cornering might upset the car.

Typically, a two spring set-up is used so two different rates are combined.....lower rate for the small bumps (street driving and comfort) and when the lower rate spring binds the higher rate takes over for the bigger loads.

Actually, that's a common misconception about dual spring setups. Both springs are involved at all times so the spring rate you get with duals is not what either spring provides on its own. Here's a dual spring example:

1. Spring A: 250 lb. in.

2. Spring B: 500 lb. in.

Let's apply a 250 load to the dual spring combination. Most people would gues that spring A would compress 1" and spring B would compress 0". Not true. Remember, spring B will compress 1/2" with a 250lb load so it is definately involved. What you actually have is a combined spring rate of 375 lb. in. (the average of 750 / 2) so the dual spring combination above will compress 2/3" and this spring rate is a constant UNTIL one of the springs in the dual setup bottoms.

Actually' date=' that's a common misconception about dual spring setups. Both springs are involved at all times so the spring rate you get with duals is not what either spring provides on its own. Here's a dual spring example:

1. Spring A: 250 lb. in.

2. Spring B: 500 lb. in.

Let's apply a 250 load to the dual spring combination. Most people would gues that spring A would compress 1" and spring B would compress 0". Not true. Remember, spring B will compress 1/2" with a 250lb load so it is definately involved. What you actually have is a combined spring rate of 375 lb. in. (the average of 750 / 2) so the dual spring combination above will compress 2/3" and this spring rate is a constant UNTIL one of the springs in the dual setup bottoms.[/quote']

Thank for the detailed explanation John. I understand however, that yes both springs work together, I only met that once the softer spring is compressed to its travel limit, the harder spring will take over....I didn't mean it doesn't compress until the softer spring stops compressing. I quess this is the kind of responce I deserve by posting a too short explaination!

• 3 weeks later...

I am putting a 350sbc in my car and eventually the banks twin turbo set up. I am looking for a suspension set up that would be best for racing and the occasional street drive. I literally have no idea about any of them. I have read about some, and these on ebay but still i am clueless. any suggestions for an agressive set??