HybridZ

Edelbrock Carb Help - Mike Kelly

v80z

Thanks for opening this thread. I put Mike Kelly's name down here for 2 reasons. First of all Mike Basically gave this carb to me so no complaints here. 2nd I put his name on to draw attention. Thanks Mike!!!

Edelbrock 1411 performer. Vac 2ndary electric choke 750 cfm for dual plane

Anyway. I finally got the fuel system hooked up and cut the power on. shut it back off to tighten some fittings. Then cut it back on. It seemed that the floats never cut off the fuel to the bowls and it was pouring out the primaries.

This carb, I assume has been sitting for a while and needs a cleaninf. If it were a weber side draft It woul take me all if 20 minutes to resolve the issue. But being as this is the first 4 barrel I have ever laid into I though I would broach the subject with the group.

1. Where can I find a good manual for this carb

2. taking this apart looks caomplicaterd. On the weber I could lift the top plate, change and clean the jets, pull and clean the accelerator pump. pull aND CLEAN THE FLOATS.

To what level of disassembly do I need to go to do this.

Anyway I was hoping that some one with some experience would rea this and say:

" Well all you have to do is >>>>>>>>>>>>>"

Any way thanks

Yup, Carb sat from Last October when the motor was removed from Jim McNemar's car and the gas was drained, BUT I'm sure there was varnish remnant in the bowls... The Edlebrock is the absolute easiest carb to pull appart. Remove the screws on the top half of the carb and pull the whole assembly off... Go to Edlebrocks site for an exploded view and step by step on pulling it appart. The beauty of the Edlebrock is you can pull the top off with the bottom left on the intake if memory serves me...

Now, onto the gas that dumped into the intake and leached into the oil pan... Drain the oil, pull the plugs out of the motor and dry crank it to get any excess out, and then let it sit over night so the last remnants of gasoline will evaporate. This will aid in ring seal issues that might otherwise crop up from the floats sticking wide open.

Mike :cool:

If you are using an EFI pump you WILL need a pressure regulator that returns the excess fuel back to the tank, these pumps will easily provide over 50 psi!! And don’t use a pressure regulator for a carb type system as this type will “Dead Head†the pump (no flow) and EFI pumps rely on lots of fuel flow to keep them cool.

Colin:twisted:

It is just a Holley Red pump 5 psi running through AN6 steel braid. Carb pump no regulator necessary.

I took the carb apart today and cleaned jets and checked the float operation.

I am waiting on a gasket for my holley pump from summit. Once that comes in I will test again and post results.

Thanks

check the fuel pressure, if it's under ~6psi and is still pouring out you might have a stuck float which could happen if sitting a long time with some fuel in it, clean and reassemble. If it's under 6 you don't need a reg, but if it spikes over 6 you will. The edelbrock carb is rated for 5.5psi (at least mine is).

On disassembly I found some varnishing but not alot. What I did find was one of the metering rods had a retaining clip that was unclipped. Hopefully with the carb cleaner I blew through all the jets and the assembly it will make a differrence. Still waiting on a gasket kit from summit for the holley red fuel Pump. then will test again.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran that carb on a warm 350. Took it our of box, bolted it on, set idle mixture and speed and drove it 5 years on my first HybidZ. Easy to work on as stated above if needed, though once it is cleaned up good I bet you are very pleased. Of course there won't be as much fiddling as with Holley if that's what you want. I did not run a regulator by the way...mechanical at 5#.

John