HybridZ

I'm so proud of myself, I learned how to drive stick

zguy95135

I know you guys probably don't care, but now I can drive manual :-D. My dad took out the Z yesterday and taught me how to drive stick, now I have it down almost perfectly. I don't have trouble on hills or in traffic, and haven't stalled the car (well once in the beginning). I got to drive out to my grandpa's house and back, it so much more fun to drive manual then with an automatic.

They call me... the Clutch Master :P

Only 4 more months until I get my liscense... :toetap05:

I know you guys probably don't care' date=' but now I can drive manual :-D. My dad took out the Z yesterday and taught me how to drive stick, now I have it down almost perfectly. I don't have trouble on hills or in traffic, and haven't stalled the car (well once in the beginning). I got to drive out to my grandpa's house and back, it so much more fun to drive manual then with an automatic.

They call me... the Clutch Master :P

Only 4 more months until I get my liscense... :toetap05:[/quote']

LOL. I have been driving stick two years now and I still havent mastered it. :redface:

Granted I can do everything quite well, but I am probably at 7/10 to 9/10 of what a real professional can do. My car isnt shitty enough to master the clutchless on. Iam thinking about buying a junker simply to master shifting without the clutch. I can do it easily on the explorer in 1 and 2 but anything above that, eh heh. Well good job :)

Congrats, clutchmaster, you've done better than most!

Now, think about this; buy your dad the Alan Jackson CD titled, " When Daddy let me Drive" for a Christmas present. Trust me, it will "get to him". and neither he nor Grandpa will ever forget it. You will never really understand what it means to them until you teach your own son.

I learned to drive a stick in a CRX with no back end or exhuast.. The clutch once depressed wouldnt pop back out either - you had to hook it with your toe and pull it back. Wanna talk about trial by fire.. my god.

Thats how im driving my truck now, but mine will disengage if the clutch is held down for more then a second, and then i have to pull it up. It teaches you how to shift faster though.

I learned on a 87' integra. Real easy to drive and I didn't let anyone teach me. I "knew" how to drive stick most my life, just never did it for real. I didn't have any problems getting a feel for what it was really like.

I was able to clutchless shift that car within my first year of driving, but I still can't clutchless shift my ZX. Might have to do with the snycos not being in great shape.

NOT ALL OF US AMERICANS grew up with auto transmissions, althought Id be forced to aggree,that finding a manual transmission thats not in a sports car or truck is not all that comon any more over here!

yet I hardly think that a MANUAL trans is mandatory in a performance car, and I never owned an auto trans untill about 12 years ago, and Ive been driving for 40 years plus

BTW

CONGRATS

zguy95135

No offense, but I hate when people say "stick" in reference to a manual trans. Everytime I bring a car into my auto tech class, the first thing I hear is, "Is it a stick?" And everytime, I answer, "No, it's a car/truck." I never get tired of that joke either. :lmao: I also don't like when people say, "crotch-rocket" in reference to a sport bike. I especially hate when people call an engine a "motor." That's so annoying. "Are you going to do a motor swap?" "No, I don't want to convert it to electric."

Sorry about the rant. lol. Conratulations on learning how to drive a manual.

I remember in 1958 and thereafter sliding around corners sideways on dirt roads in a "goat" downshifting like crazy trying to straighten the curves. No, not a GTO, but a totally stripped down orange grove work truck (basically a pickup) with no windshield, fenders doors, etc. No more fun can be had unless you involve females.

Sorry about the rant. lol. Conratulations on learning how to drive a manual[/b'].

Hey how do you drive an instruction book anyhow? ("manual")

LOL Just messing with you.

Congrats Zguy95135! Now you can drive just about any car out there. You sound like a fast learner. I learned to shift in a '86 Jeep Comanche pickup truck. It was pretty easy to drive but it took me about a week to get it. Way to go!

I learned in built 240z with high comp, a cam, and a VERY touchy throttle. I also think its funny that I replaced a clutch BEFORE I ever drove my car. I picked it up pretty quickly, and I think it has made me a better driver. If i can drive my car, I can drive anything. hehe

This American learned stick from the start (only cars we had until the lexus). Two years ago on a FWD Fiat wagon (Marea Weekend) on some Italian backroads. It probably makes about 120-130 as a guess and has no LSD and 165 or 175 tires. NO traction and no torque, power comes at 3,000+. That was fun. Sweet car though. Italian cars feel so completely different than american cars. I prefer it greatly. Even cars we have in america in europe feel completely different (like the celica). Also there engines make it to the top of the last gear quite promptly almost always, unlike here where often the gears are so long the engine can't push before the top. Also, my cousins focus 86hp turbo diesel has a more nimble engine than my dads old audi 5000s gasoline :icon52: