HybridZ

are YOU really working toward your goal?

Good points in the original post. I found it is usually better to find a complete motor with the go fast stuff you were going to buy that someone has poured $ into & then called it quits for various reasons than to try & build one up. Of course, you then have to be concerned with the build quality unless you know the builder, which is usually not the case.

I tend to spend a 3:1 ratio working on planning/shopping, etc. to actual wrench turning (of course, a lot of this is the heat here in FL in the summer). I've even laid out to scale where each vehicle will go in my next garage when we build further north soon.

On the other hand, to paraphrase my favorite (former) car mag editor Jeff Smith, I'm like a kid with a lost dog that followed me home when it comes to project cars... but my next garage won't hold 11, so I'll have to scale back the fleet :(.

Quote Mikelly & getZ:

To others (Like me) it is the experience of driving the car.

Of course there is always the "while I am at it" syndrome.

IMHO, the end results are always what we strive for, and are usually detoured by the "while I'm at it".

Used Trans Am: $9,000

500 RWHP turbo'd 383, etc.: $10,000

Time to build: 2+ years

Enhanced freeway acceleration @ 10psi in 5th gear vs. a $40K German convertible: Priceless :)

I don't really have a goal. There's almost always something else that can be done or added. If I tried to build my car up with all of the parts I wanted and not drive it until it was "done" (whatever that means) I'd still be saving up and have the L6 in it...which means I'd probably have never driven a V8Z...and certainly never have owned one.

Just found this website while looking for a used part...

http://www.geocities.com/qikfords/Zephyr.htm

I hate to be premature but I am a little encouraged that a test drive before the end of the year could be possible, (that's when the real learning curve happens, while tuning) of course if I had worked on it harder and more often it wouldn't have taken five years to build now would it?!

June 2000 through September 2005 & still no test drive!