HybridZ

#33 240z and #44 tr6 features on dream car garage... anyone have pics?

Sleeper-Z

hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has pics of the specific bob sharp 240z featured on the show "dream car garage" on speed vision. the body kit isn't like what i've seen on the IMSA and BRE cars (not that wide, and no g-nose). anyone one know if these were every in production (fiberglass piece-wise)? I believe i have a replica of the kit minus the front valence... if anyone can share some knowledge that would be great. i wish i knew how to screen capture from a video file...

thanks guys,

steven m.

Guest Dorifto

If you're running Windows XP, and viewing the video in Windows [media player, DivX, etc.], just pause the vid at the point you want to take a snap at, make it fullscreen if you want, then press "PRINT SCREEN" on the keyboard. Then, go into Paint, or Photoshop, or any other photo editing software you might have, and paste it into a blank image. Save via Imageshack or post as an attachment onto HybridZ, and voila, screenshot for everyone. :D

I'm interested in seeing this.

-Dave-O

it doesn't work like that for video files... atleast for me. i just get a print screen of everything except for the video image. i tried a a few applications from the internet with no luck. i also heard of turning off hardware acceleration (via disabling the video card acceleration) with no luck.

thanks for the suggestion,

steven m.

If you're running Windows XP' date=' and viewing the video in Windows [media player, DivX, etc.'], just pause the vid at the point you want to take a snap at, make it fullscreen if you want, then press "PRINT SCREEN" on the keyboard. Then, go into Paint, or Photoshop, or any other photo editing software you might have, and paste it into a blank image. Save via Imageshack or post as an attachment onto HybridZ, and voila, screenshot for everyone. :D

I'm interested in seeing this.

-Dave-O

it doesn't work like that for video files... atleast for me. i just get a print screen of everything except for the video image. i tried a a few applications from the internet with no luck. i also heard of turning off hardware acceleration (via disabling the video card acceleration) with no luck.

thanks for the suggestion' date='

steven m.[/quote']

Go to tools, options, performance tab, advance button, uncheck "use overlays", and it will work.

Good for Top Gear screens :)

Mario

A contact of mine just sent me a top notch shot of the #33 Bob Sharp car in action a few months ago at an east coast track where he was also racing at. According to him the car was originally raced by Bob Sharp as a "240Z" and later by Paul Newman as a "280Z". It was 100% restored in 2002 and now is owned by a prominent New Hampshire businessman.

That shot is now up for viewing in the Racing Z CarsRoad Racers sub gallery in my recently updated Z CAR SHOWCASE. Link to that unique photo display is at

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/zcsc/default.html

I'd not deem this car to have any particularly unique body kit or flares on it. Pretty much stock with painted over cheap? head light covers, riveted on, chopped aftermarket chin spoiler and some modest front & rear flares common on many S30 cars seen in the 70s & 80s. I believe MSA still sells the same flares today. In fact, I believe I have a set of two used ones on a shelf at my parts shop in case anyone wants them. $30. bucks takes the pair. (email me direct at eric@zparts.com if interested)

As for quick, high quality, hassle free screen captures without all the typical hassle of getting simple things like that done under Windows, no matter whether of a cropped area, active screen or entire monitor screen, my advice is "Just Get a Mac'. Just one of hundreds of cool features built right into the Mac's OSX operating system. Takes me less that 5 seconds to grab one and drop it into an email message, Word .doc or photoshop layer using a 3 key combo. Macs are just so "very cool" compared to windoze boxes, IMHO.

sleek: thanks for all the info. awesome stuff i probably would have never have found out about if you didn't come in here. about the mac comment, i'm an ibm and ibm-type style person. never got use to the one button mouse. haha, you sound like a salesman! but on the flares... are they full length that go all the way to the front airdam as the bob sharp one or do they cut short at the fender. let me know, if they go to the airdam, i'll buy them just to get that section.

thanks,

steven m.

• 1 month later...

Hi SLeeper Z,

To go alongside my V8 project I have bought a BRAND NEW ex Bob Sharp body shell RLS30-00017 and am going to build a replica but cannot find any of the panels. This shell has never had a panel or hinge on it, the wire retaining tags are all still straight as they have never held a loom. Are there any stickers, labels on the fibreglass parts or can you point me in the direction I need to go to find the supplier please ??

I would prefer to build an IMSA style car but would be just as happy with a car like number 33 :-)

i definately have. unfortunately i haven't been able to work on my Z as much as I'd like to (completing the 4x4 conversion, possibly going with 35's and/or a front locker). But once i finish, I will keep everyone updated. Worked with fiberglass before (made a simple hood with scoop for my boat), and it was pretty enjoyable, minus the dizziness and itchiness. I would love to have the Z fund itself and at the same time help everyone else out. Also, since i plan on wheel-to-wheel racing, i was planning on having spare panels "just in case".

As far as any tags, none that i saw, and no special markings either.

steven m.

The 33 car usually makes the rounds of all the major Z shows in the northeast. I know I drooled on it at the show in Syracuse two years ago, and it was on the track at Watkins Glen during the Z Convention.

I don't know the man's name that owns it, but the guys in the New England Z Car Club know him. He's got quite a collection of vintage race cars, and I believe this is not the only BSR car he owns.

The current owner of the #33 car (and in fact the owner of the name "Bob Sharp Racing") has it, the 300ZX Newman car, Tom Cruise's 280ZX (Rolling Thunder and Cruise's car for SCCA races), and the 280ZX V-8 twin turbo racecar.

The 240 raced as a 280 (w/rear 280 taillight trim and lights) is either VIN 14 or 16 (I forget). It's the one that the model sat on the roof and dented it during a photo shoot in NYC.

The gentleman who now tunes the engine is the same person who on his first day on the job was told by Bob Sharp to: "go cut the rear rear wheel wells so we can add flares". The metal he cut off is hanging in storage up in NH along with 24 inch wide 3-piece BBS wheels (not for the 240) along with body parts, diffs, etc. And none is for sale.

In the mid to late 70's you could either buy FG body parts from dealers like Sharp or buy the molds themselves. They had them for everything but the roof. The rear quarters were skinned and doors had metal plates at both ends for hinges and door mechs. I bought a parts car from an old 240 dragster racer and he had thrown out all the molds about a month before. I wanted to cry. I still have the two-piece 240 dragster front end he used (fenders and front nose).

The #33 240/280 has wilwoods front and rear with heim joint control arms and the front sway bar goes through the frame rail. There are pics over at classiczcars from the 2005 ZCCA convention. With some luck it will be at the 2006 ZCCA convention in Texas.

I will be going up to the shop in NH the week of the 30th if you got any other questions about the #33 car.