HybridZ

Thoughts on the LS-1 carb intake

Guest BoostedZ350

Guest BoostedZ350

I was wondering has anyone here or do you know someone who is using the carb intake manifold for the LS-1? Upon installing this manifold, how do you go about removing or deleting the sensors and other items associated with the fuel injection system? Do you have to send your harness off to someone like painless to have everything removed or do you just have a tuner remove the items out of the ECU? Just asking, figured someone here would know. Thanx

Just figured I would throw in a link to the manifold....

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...5-P853C122.aspx

Dont put a carb on an LS1.

The whole point of a LS1 swap over the SBC swap is the modern performance, modern technology, and the modern efficency of a V8 engine designed for 3500lbs in a 2700lb car.

If you want a carb put in a 350 4 bolt main with a good set of heads and a big lopey cam that gets 8mpg and you can change 2 things on the tune.

strictly my opinion

Guest BoostedZ350
Jeez. Come to a hybrid site hopeing to find for some open minds.

http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0409phr_gmpp/

500 hp with a stock LS1' date=' cam and carb. Suppose to be streetable too. Try that with a first gen SBC.

The article is actually a little old. I have seen other articles mentioning spark controllers for a carbed LS engine.[/quote']

Very good reading there, thanx for the link. I am simply looking at an easier way to tune the car. This manifold would solve those problems since dynos and good tuners are very hard to come by. I tend to dump alot of money into parts at various stages of my projects and having this intake manifold setup would making tuning the car in my garge at the house alot easier.

Wow thats a AWSOME Idea........ I <3 Carbs.... nothing like taking a weekend to clean them... mmmm the smell of solvent..... I wish I knew about that befor i opened the Electrical beast called the Ls1 Swap........ Seriously the hardest part of my first whole damb swap was the the wiring, I learned old skool with my dad and that was carbs and points......

Ok I am stupid and not dogging anyones creative ideas.... But is not the point of the 2nd gen sbc is to take advantage of the injection/ignition systems?

I can see with a carb and aluminum motor the extreme light weight and simplicity is good. I guess my point is I cant see a carb making more power than MPFI. Also it seems the FI system fits very well under the Z hood. Also willing to bet the FI is lighter than a carb intake combo. If you dont get the jets just right... I could see loosing a lot more power. I.E. tempreture/pressure changes too. For sure you will loose that great throttle respeonce and smooth running even power band.

On the other hand I could see how the wiring issues can be a nightmare and ugly looking.

If I had on LS1 or LS7(505hp ZO6) for that matter I would keep the FI system.

Just my 2 cents worth. It will neat to see how things work out with your swap. Either way its all good.

There is a 1970 Corvette here in West Georgia that has the set-up. He bought everything from Edelbrock except carburetor, and he did the cam and performance valve springs. He is running a Demon carburetor like the Chevy Hi-performance test mule. I have thought about as well, depends on how much you want to spend, and what you are going to do with the car. This is HybridZ, I say do it and if you don't like the performance of the set-up, at the very least you have first hand experience.

Guest BoostedZ350
Personally, if I could get 503 hp out of a LS1 I wouldn't care whether it had EFI or a carb.

I agree, hence the reason I want to go with the intake and carb setup. I have been waiting for over a year for the Kenn Bell Supercharger for the LS-1 and it just doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon. So I am going to go with the carb and spray setup with a good set of heads and a cam.

I agree, hence the reason I want to go with the intake and carb setup. I have been waiting for over a year for the Kenn Bell Supercharger for the LS-1 and it just doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon. So I am going to go with the carb and spray setup with a good set of heads and a cam.

You won't regret it unless you want 20mpg or something. But then again with a modern-day carb you might just get that as well. I get 18-24 with an edelbrock 650. And it's so nice to know that there is only one electronic thing that could go wrong with the beast, the msd ignition. Not a single sensor related to performance on the whole thing. :2thumbs:

And why would you need a computer anymore? and as for wiring harness? If you are talking about thoe 6 or so odd wires that go to my engine? I don't think they need a harness, but I made one anyway.

500 FWHP is an everyday thing on LS1's. That's only like 440 RWHP. For the investment in the manifold and carb, and all the pain in tunning it just seems easier to stay with the EFI in my opinion. I have not dynoed my setup, but others with the same get 420 to 440 rwhp with a good tune. Did I mention it idles like really well and starts the second I hit the key in 30 degree weather. Humm, so much torque that any gear at any speed is ok. EFI is great and I'll never go back.

That being said I think it's ok to run a carb on the LS1, but not as cost effective or efficient as EFI.

500 FWHP is an everyday thing on LS1's. That's only like 440 RWHP. For the investment in the manifold and carb' date=' and all the pain in tunning it just seems easier to stay with the EFI in my opinion. I have not dynoed my setup, but others with the same get 420 to 440 rwhp with a good tune. Did I mention it idles like really well and starts the second I hit the key in 30 degree weather. Humm, so much torque that any gear at any speed is ok. EFI is great and I'll never go back.

That being said I think it's ok to run a carb on the LS1, but not as cost effective or efficient as EFI.[/quote']

Agreed.

Well from that interesting article I do not see any advantage. Both intake systems performed similarly but the EFI will retain good mileage and emissions. Additionally the EFI in this case would cost less depending on if one reuses the tank, ecu, etc... It would be nice to see the EFI setup with the mods.