HybridZ

280zx sbf engine/trans mount kit

David K

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest levelhead86

Hey... no super rush here... there's not a lot of us that have/are doing the 280zx Ford conversion, so any information is a huge help. I know in my particullar case, I don't even have a garage so all the work I do is in my driveway. I've gotten a lot of stuff done on a lot of vehicles in my driveway, but pulling the motor, fabbing mounts totally from scratch, etc. is a little much, so every little bit of help makes a big difference, for me.

Guest levelhead86
lol, yeah i see what you mean that does make things tough. Is it at least warm where your from?

Welll.... upstate new york, so it's getting warmer, but generally... it's been 20 degrees, and snowy. It sucks, but I do some offroading so I'm used to trying to fix things in "compromising positions." heheh... it's ok, helps to keep you on your toes. Like I said before, I think all of us ZX'rs having wetdreams about Fords upfront can learn something from you; so thanks again.

Im right here. I move all my cars to a warehouse this weekend so i can start working on them and getting the engine out of the mustang so i can get it tot he junkyard. Everythings been in storage and ive been showing interest in other hobbies for a few months.

Guest levelhead86
Im right here. I move all my cars to a warehouse this weekend so i can start working on them and getting the engine out of the mustang so i can get it tot he junkyard. Everythings been in storage and ive been showing interest in other hobbies for a few months.

Well that's great news then! Hopefully we come up with some engine mounts pretty soon? I'm hoping to get my motor in sometime before this summer; if anybody makes a set for sale.

Well that's great news then! Hopefully we come up with some engine mounts pretty soon? I'm hoping to get my motor in sometime before this summer; if anybody makes a set for sale.

Yeah, itll be sooner than later. My family just bought a huge warehouse about 50 miles from here. Im moving all my cars there this weekend and next week. I have many things to work on.

'98 Plymouth Voyager exhaust manifolds

'99 Ford Expedition shocks & springs, bushings, brakes, stereo

'90 300zx 2+2 engine and trans rebuild (almost done, been wrenching for a year)

'90 300zx 2 seater n/a/auto removal, TT engine/5 speed instal

'90 Pathfinder shocks, springs, brakes, 4x4 transfer case rebuild

After all of those, i can work on the 280zx v8.

Guest levelhead86
Yeah' date=' itll be sooner than later. My family just bought a huge warehouse about 50 miles from here. Im moving all my cars there this weekend and next week. I have many things to work on.

'98 Plymouth Voyager exhaust manifolds

'99 Ford Expedition shocks & springs, bushings, brakes, stereo

'90 300zx 2+2 engine and trans rebuild (almost done, been wrenching for a year)

'90 300zx 2 seater n/a/auto removal, TT engine/5 speed instal

'90 Pathfinder shocks, springs, brakes, 4x4 transfer case rebuild

After all of those, i can work on the 280zx v8.[/quote']

Yow... best of luck to you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys,

Everything is great right now! I got all the cars mentioned above out of my hair, so now i can focus on the SBF swap into my 280zx. This week ill be trailering the Mustang to the house, ripping out the drivetrain, and sending the body to the junkyard. I figure in the next 2 weeks ill start removing the L28 and test fitting the 5.0 302. Sorry for the delay in between posts, my ladys father passed away, i had reoccuring problems with the blood clot in my leg, and the house where i work on my cars is being remodled (sort of). Huge mess over here, might as well do this before everything is clean :)

• 2 months later...
Guest 79280zx

I am a new member...Just bought my first ZX, it is a 1979zx. I have always raced fox body mustangs and 5.0's but always loved the body of the early z's. I was really interested in how the swap went for David K and what he used to do it. He had mentioned earlier that he was going to build a kit and possibly sell it. I would be very interested in buying a complete kit. I saw the link for the crossmember that was for sale where you could use old style ford mounts but from what I read on this thread the 70-78 is a completly different mount. I would really like to have a game plan before I go into it full force. I also have a LS1 that I was considering but since I have always been a Ford person I want to go that way unless the LS1 kit is more readily available. Thanks for any info....Anything would be helpful since this is my first hands on experience with a Z.

I hope I didn't make break any rules by asking...:mrgreen: I did use the search button first but I couldn't find the answer to the kit and the last post was from 2 months ago....

I was really interested in how the swap went for David K and what he used to do it. He had mentioned earlier that he was going to build a kit and possibly sell it.

Im still doing everything. I have the ford stuff sitting in front of my zx, ready to pull the zx motor out and fit it in. The whole car thing is on hold right now, its like 100* outside and i dont have any shade on the property to work on it. Everythings gonna have to wait until it cools down. Just another delay.

• 3 weeks later...

The city wont let me work on cars on the property anymore. I keep getting fined and ♥♥♥♥. Its been so hot that i havent worked on the Z in months. Between the heat and the citys CODE ENFORCEMENT antics, ive lost interest.

My drivetrain is on craigslist. Ill put it on hybridz classifieds too.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/398898449.html