HybridZ

cummins deisel turbo

Alf

i am looking to turbocharge a 350 small block chevy and i am not sure which turbo i should use. i heard the holset hy35 or hx35 turbo off of dodge cummins deisel pickup trucks is a good potential power producer. these turbos are rated for engines from 5.0-6.5 liters. a 350 falls in this group nicely but what about the extra rpms from a gasoline engine, is it big enough? has anyone used one of these turbos? i am looking for around 500hp from this engine. thanks.

depends on what holset..

alot of volvo 4cyls get full boost by 3200rpms.. if not less.

the V8 will be fine.

Alex Costa is putting a HX45 on his Mustang.

ill be putting a HX35 on my blue Z L28ET sooner or later.

mike

i'm not exactly sure about the engine configuration yet, i plan on getting a tech book on turbocharging. i will probably put a cam, optimize the heads for forced induction, intake, windage tray, and well see about the bottom end. i dont want this to be complicated. i want to build a super drivable yet powerfull engine and if i fall short of the 500hp mark i dont really mind(400 is enough) i'm not sure on how much boost to run though, any ideas?

ALF,

I am totally doing the exact same thing you are doing. mine is a 72 240z I have the same questions you have! and also i want around 500hp just like you. any info on what to go with would be great! oh and my cousin that went to wyo tech for high performace engines and turbo diesels just got back home from boot camp yesterday so i'll hit him up on what to do over christmas break for you! but if you hear anything or have any ideas let me know also thanks!!!!

Alf, i'm not sure what it will be like. I am a college student trying to pay bills and take classes and with the spare money i work on my cars. so it will be a slow process. but there is a place a few miles from where I live here in nebraska that builds engines, they are one of the top in the nation. i'm going to go there maybe over christmas break and ask some questions on how to set it up and what goes with what and what would be the best. i figure i'll let the pros tell me what to use so i dont mess anything up. but in general, less is more to me, battery in back, electric fuel pumps off of the fuel cell which will also both be mounted in back, electric fans, electric water pump, and so on. the less belts that I see the better i like it!!! i like it simple and clean with lots of power. othere than that i'll have to wait to see what the guys say.

man the whole college deal sounds like me, i'm a freshman in college 1300 miles away from home. i got my z and engine for free (i only have about $1200 in the entire car) i built it so i could bring it with me and have something to work on. i figured a turbo would be right down my alley, cheap and effective, and i don't think you will ever see another turbocharged SBC Z31.

man the whole college deal sounds like me, i'm a freshman in college 1300 miles away from home. i got my z and engine for free (i only have about $1200 in the entire car) i built it so i could bring it with me and have something to work on. i figured a turbo would be right down my alley, cheap and effective, and i don't think you will ever see another turbocharged SBC Z31.

Ya i had to buy one of my z's for $450 and then i bought a better one that was actually cheaper for 400, i have all new panels and floors etc. which cost me about $2000 now it is in the body shop i'm having everything installed, all rust taken off, all of the side markers, gas lid, vent, rear bumper and all the holes and dips back there filled in so it will be one smooth car!!!! thats going to cost me about 2 g's more. I have the 350sbc 4 bolt, bare block ready for work, but i will work on the car first i think, get it all done roll cage breaks tires rims, dash, i'd say i have about $10,000 left in just that! its so depressing!!!!then the engine when i get all the body work done i'll prob end up going twin turbo but who knows?? and hey there are actually alot of turbo z's out there. anyway i have years and year till i will have her done!! i'm going to do it all right the first time nothing half ***, so it will take twice as long but it will be twice as good!!!LOL i think this summer i will get alot done. Between my 2 jobs, i should get alot of hours and more money!!! LOL i worked about 80hrs a week last summer just to get money for body panels and now with my second job i figure I can work 105 hours a week if i can physically take it for a few weeks, that should buy me a turbo or two at least!!

Isn't the turbo on a cummins a variable geometry turbo? If it does, then that takes care of the lag for the most part. The problem I see is figuring out how to control the variable geometry valve. Well if it doesn't then I know a Banks diesel tubro does. I believe 2 out of the "Big three" companies had VG turbos stock on there diesels trucks.

The VG valve is a type of funnel the focus exhaust to cause it to exit at a higher vilocity. Think a hose running water, it just comes pouring out now if you lower the pressure it trickles out, now imagine putting you thumb over the end, it sprays out because of the water wantigng to exit through a smaller opening. Now imagine that on a turbo but variable.

how about this setup?

383, 8:1 comp. ratio, 1.94, 1.50 in. valves, chevy ram horn exuahst manifolds .450 lift cam(duration and LCA optimized for turbo aplication) edelbrock dual plane intake(performer, or performer RPM, 750 DP holley, holset hx35. 7psi boost. on pump gas

if i could make a reliable, simple 400 chp i would be happy.