HybridZ

l28et question

FI_JUNKY

ok i am getting ready to run a bar and plate fmic 3" exhaust mbc & mfpr on my 83 zxt, other than that it's pretty well stock besides my bov and intake i was just wondering if anyone else is running a similar set up and what kind of power gains i will see at what psi increase. also, what would be the max amount of boost that can be safely pushed with this type of setup and what would be a decent amount?

I have an '83ZXT...the list of mods are:

1) Walbro 255lp/h fuel pump (running stock injectors)

2) JSK Billet Fuel Rail

3) Aeromotive Boost sensitive FPR

4) HKS SSQ BOV

5) Isuzu NPR IC

6) All mandrel 2.25/2.5" IC piping

7) 60mm KA24 Throttle Body

8) Full mandrel 3" exhaust, no cat, no emissions crap

9) Lightened OE flywheel to 17lbs

10) Duel 10" electric fans

11) Removed AC

Boost set at 10psi

My car is pretty damn quick....and I figure hp to be in the 225hp-235hp range - conservatively.

Soon to come....

1) Megasquirt EFI

2) 15psi

3) Custom exhaust manifold

4) Heavily reworked intake manifold

5) T3T4 turbo

6) Fully ported and polished head with no sure which cam to use....

Looking for 300+hp

Yasin

yeah that's another thing, who makes a good cam for the zxt? i am also running the 3" exhaust with no restrictions just straight pipe off of the downpipe. i'm already pretty quick, last night i killed a 300zxtt (pretty well stock) never really had the chance to run one, but i was murdering him on the shifts thanks to my new short throw

i havent really seen upgraded cams for turbo because you want a longer duration with turbo motor and upgraded cams shorten that duration. if you have a good fuel delivery and decent intercooler (do you know the true efficiency?) i think you can run 14psi. you could probobly run more if your motor doesnt have that many miles on it. if you want to run more the easiest thing to do is buy maximum boost by corky bell and setup an engine like he tells you to. gaskets are a big thing in turbo motors so i would spend a little money on that. also make sure your head is in good shape. i dont believe (correct me if im wrong) that you need to to much to your bottom end because our bearings and rods and pistons are strong as ****. just make sure the gaskets (mainly head) and top end is ok and you should be able to run like 16 (with good fuel delivery)

You need to do something about the stock engine management before thinking about running more than 10psi and upgrading the camshaft. You will need more fuel, and a programable ECU to do either. Spend your money on a programable ECU now, is really the best investment you can make, that will get the most out of your existing setup. With good enginemanagement and a decent turbo, the stock cam is good for over 300HP at the wheels BTW.

You need to do something about the stock engine management before thinking about running more than 10psi and upgrading the camshaft. You will need more fuel, and a programable ECU to do either. Spend your money on a programable ECU now, is really the best investment you can make, that will get the most out of your existing setup. With good enginemanagement and a decent turbo, the stock cam is good for over 300HP at the wheels BTW.

where can you find an aftermarket cam for turbo? i thought the duration was good enough for a turbo system so gasses arent trapped. (or something like that) but i definately agree on the engine management (MEGASQUIRT!)

well for around 300-500 bucks you can have a full setup. 300 for diy. 500 for prebuilt. price depends on options and what you want. for instance i am building one with a palm pilot system viewer (only extra cost is the palm itself). you can use a laptop if you want. change fuel, spark, everything pretty much. cheapest ive seen anywhere else is 500-2000 and i cant really see many differences.