HybridZ

Pontiac 350 head question

Guest Spartacus3006

Guest Spartacus3006

Ok guys I have procured a 1972 pontiac 350 engine for my swap into my 1985 t. Now my questions are if I am shopping for heads and other performance pieces for my motor are the same era chevy 350sb parts interchangeable with the pontiac 350sb? Also it appears this has 7a heads any opinion on these heads would be appreciated. If you were to switch head what would everybody go to

Thanks Guys

Guest Spartacus3006

Cool so that means the heads for any of pontiac's engines during that year will bolt on? Sorry if this seems retaarted I am new to the great v8's.

Thanks Guys anyinfo is appreciated

Grumpy's right, secure a set of eagle rods, keep the rpm's under 5500 and let the tire frying begin.

BTW, I have a 1967 Pontiac GTO 325HP 400 with matching TH400 for sale, completely rebuilt by Al Budreaux former crew member of Sox and Martin, 200 miles on it, been sitting for years, probably needs disassembly and reassembly only. I'd take $700 for the whole thing. It has original high rise and carter 4bbl and I have an edelbrock high rise dual plane and edelbrock carb made for it as well, both would go with it. Also have pontiac headers NIB for the GTO as well, don't know if they'd fit the z.

the fastest way to spot a stock pontiac V8 vs a stock chevy V8 engine is to see if theres a valley pan sealing the lifter gallery under the intake manifold and see the distributor does not go thru the intake manifold(pontiac)

as cheys has no seperate lifter gallery seal pan and the distributor DOES inseart thru the intakes rear

In 1972 there were no SBC's in Pontiacs....

The other way to quickly tell if it is a Poncho V-8 is the width of the engine, and if it is stock the color of the paint on the motor. Pontiacs are silvery blue in color. I believe that in '72 Chevy's were still orange...

The distributor also turns the opposite direction....

pontiac never had small blocks or big blocks.

all the modern pontiac V8 engines ( 1955 up ) are based on the same size block.

however, you want to cruise those websites Grumpyz presented and talk with a machinist that knows pontiacs to get proper info.

it has been a while since i've owned/worked on a pontiac ( had several, among em a factory 1965 tri power GTO 4 speed), but if i remember, due to water jacket passages and such, along with the bore size, not all pontiac heads are interchangeable.

I believe the 301 was a short stroked and decked 400 block. This engine was used mainly in the firebirds and was offered as a turbo as well. This engine s not well liked by most pontiac people. If I remember correctly the heads changed between 64 and 65. I have a 64 Tri power GTO and my tri-power will not mate up to the post 65 428 heads I have.

In 1972 there were no SBC's in Pontiacs....

The other way to quickly tell if it is a Poncho V-8 is the width of the engine' date=' and if it is stock the color of the paint on the motor. Pontiacs are silvery blue in color. I believe that in '72 Chevy's were still orange...

The distributor also turns the opposite direction....[/quote']

Chevys were still orange I can concur.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spartacus3006

Wow Guys thanks for all of the info, Grumpy those sites you gave me are a wealth of information! I just got back on the board after be ing out of town for a couple weeks boy was i pleased to get all of this info back from you guys. Out of all of the forums I have ever been on this is the most straightforward no BS bunch of guys ive ever seen on the net THNAKS A MILLION guys!

• 12 years later...