HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

mull

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I'd rather get me one of these: http://vansantent.com/model_3_bender.htm

I've been told a "dragging" bender is better than the "pushing" kind.

Those benders work very well, I definitely recommend them because in the last fab shop I worked in we built ones to match those and they worked awesome. You gotta kinda throw your weight into it if you're bending DOM though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest onehundredoctane

heard of the build last year sometime, just came across a 280z for cheap as dirt and had the idea to build it like my Silvia, but now it seems I'm copying you with the idea, o well, heres to Datsun and Nissan.

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mull for all the vids and pics, its a real motivator to get my finger out of my ar$e and start doing something on my Zed. She has been waiting in a shed for me to start now for over 10 years... Just waiting on funds, as house / family commitments have taken priority. I know it has some rust in the floor and subframe, and seeing your project has made me realize that just about any level of rust can be repaired.

Just a note on the room debate inside the car, I'm 193cm and I can just push the clutch all the way to the floor with the seat all the way back (although mine is standard seats and right hand drive, so the clutch is next to the tranny tunnel and not on the outside of the car). Its one of the only cars I have been in where I have to have the seat one or two teeth forward of the limit of travel. Although they seem like a small car they have lots of legroom thanks to the seating position being close to the rear wheels.

One thing that annoys me about this thread is people continually nagging you about posting more videos. I'm sure that you would post them as soon as you have finished another... nagging you is not going to make you rush the project just so you can make a video!

Keep up the good work....

Mull....great progress so far! I'll be in Stockholm on wednesday afternoon if you need any free labor! :-) BTW, I know that you changed the firewall a bit but I'm 6'3" and fit very nicely in my 260. Stock seats but leg room is fine. PM me if you are available, Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240zrb26dett

mull where u at man really want to see more of these incredible vids. great inspiration for me man. going to refer to ur vids often when i work on my z. i'm 16 by the way so your car to my is like a ferrari to a stick.

This thread has been sleeping for way too long, if you ask me. That's what two mighty brave

souls thought too. This is why they've volunteered to get the project up and running once again. Meet Huddinge Kustoms.

Time to mount the rear suspension, seats, pedals, seatbelts and so on in its place.

It's been a long time coming - but here it is - part 18 : )

Enjoy!

PICS

01_G.jpg

Big whee... No weels keep on rollin'!

02_G.jpg

The Skyline suspension put in place. Kind of anyway. Andreas to the right.

03_G.jpg

Henrik drilling out some spot welds.

04_G.jpg

Very nice.

05_G.jpg

Rear suspension is gossiping with the spare wheel tub. It's for sale.

06_G.jpg

Rear rails gone. More chopping up to be done...

bussningar.jpg

Aluminium bushings for the rear suspension.

bakvagnsf_sten.jpg

Always good to have some mounts as well...

FILM

YouTube

640x360

MIrror 1: http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/wmv/mull@hugo18.wmv

Mirror 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/68425592/mull_huddingekustoms_part1_360.wmv

1280x720:

Mirror 1: http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/wmv/mull@huddingekustoms_part1_720p.wmv

Mirror 2: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Woohoo!

So did you fire the last shop, run out of money, or what? Surely there is an excuse for the long hiatus :)

- Greg -

The last shop? You mean PBZ? They're in charge of the power train and so on.

SCE is pretty far away from where I live, etc. Now the Z is less than 10 minutes

away, which should render a lot more updates and a faster build. Excuses would

be that I can't seem to get a proper job, landing mostly freelance jobs, and that

I could've finish the build already but don't want to spend capital doing it. ;)