HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

mull

Bandit- I would search before making any assumptions.

If I have followed the strut/coilover threads correctly, you have to section and weld the old strut housing to be able to install the aftermarket struts and coilovers correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
hey mull, do you have all the video clips to download all in one? i would love to watch your work in better quality?

Shid0,

You can DL from the link Philip provided and use a program like iDVD to make discs viewable on your TV. The quality is excellent when viewed on a TV screen. My set is up on the shelf along with all our movies.

:burnout:

Well, he did say BETTER quality.

Maybe things will change someday, but youtube's vid quality blows chunks.

:icon45:

No, mull would just have to re-upload all the vids. youtube has improved their encoding. But would he do that, when you can just DL the downloadables.

Huddinge kustoms lost the one and only key to their car-transporter. Waiting for them to get the data box coded to match the new key. Always something that gets in the way :-r

The valve/timing belt covers and intake aren't compatible with the powder coating company either. Yey. They claim there's silicone/pollutant in the aluminium that keeps re-appearing when they put the parts in a heated environment (such as when curing the painted parts in an oven). Guess I'll have to go a different route.

Huddinge kustoms lost the one and only key to their car-transporter. Waiting for them to get the data box coded to match the new key. Always something that gets in the way :-r

The valve/timing belt covers and intake aren't compatible with the powder coating company either. Yey. They claim there's silicone/pollutant in the aluminium that keeps re-appearing when they put the parts in a heated environment (such as when curing the painted parts in an oven). Guess I'll have to go a different route.

Best way I find to get rid of any pollutant before paint is buying some paint prep which will just about remove skin be care full with that stuff or $12.95 CDN of break cleaner that should get rid of it but it not as potent or fast as the paint prep... when we had a bad spray on my car the first time I had to wash down my entire hood and front fenders with the stuff brought it straight to the primer...paint prep comes in 1 gal or 4 liter paint cans.. and costs alot more...

Best way I find to get rid of any pollutant before paint is buying some paint prep which will just about remove skin be care full with that stuff or $12.95 CDN of break cleaner that should get rid of it but it not as potent or fast as the paint prep... when we had a bad spray on my car the first time I had to wash down my entire hood and front fenders with the stuff brought it straight to the primer...paint prep comes in 1 gal or 4 liter paint cans.. and costs alot more...

Brake cleaner will not remove the impregnated residue he is talking about. It's actually in the aluminum, and as the part is heated to have the powder applied, it will start to sweat out the pollutant towards the surfaces. Chances are it was an additive/adhesive to have the aluminum covers come out cleaner and better than using a base aluminum that was cleaner and more expensive to begin with when the parts were cast from Nissan.

It's common for companies to cut corners on the aesthetic parts, especially the japanese. They look very nice, but that's where it stops.

• 1 month later...

I know I am a bit behind the time line of when you first started your Z project. Loved the videos on the rust dissection and repair. Lost the link between #16 and here but will go looking for the others. My Z is a Michigan Z and while I had it stored all winters but one, I think it was on the road for a few others before I got it. It is a 75 and I got it in 82. I have some patches in the floor and have had the small holes behind the wheels done with metal but I am now looking at what needs to be done to replace the floor pans. Might go with straight panels and frame rails to expedite the process. I have seen some neat ideas but not going to go as far as you did. Really impressive but not for me. Most of the remaining rust is pretty much confined to the floor. Thanks for the videos and inspiration. Work starts tomorrow! Hope I can find the threads between then an now. You should also put it together on a dvd and see if the speed channel will air it. Might be able to offset some of the rusto repair bills with it. Thanks again. Dave

• 3 weeks later...