HybridZ

List your dumbest auto related screw up

Workinprogress

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably not my dumbest but up there with the best.

Driving my car (not the Z) to work this morning it was vibrating pretty bad.

I knew the engine mounts were on their way out and figured maybe one of them had busted.

I continued to drive and it continued to get worse. I decided, stuff it, I'm only 10 mins from work I will ride it out.

In the next 10 mins I figured, this is too bad for engine mounts (had to slow down to 80km/h on a 100km/h highway) and was thinking maybe I hadn't tightened something when I replaced the front suspension.

Well I made it to work and thats when it hit me.

Yep, lug nuts were loose. I had just driven 25 kms with lug nuts that had slowly worked them selves loose. The worse wheel was the front passenger which only had two nuts left (at least they were opposite). Man I felt stupid after that one.

I don't want to put my lapse of intelligence on display, but I will reinforce the lesson relearned. Just because someone you trust hands you a part, it's ALWAYS your job to know. Sh!t Happens. Ignorance my be Bliss, but it also expensive and time consuming.

At the beginning of the summer, when i had my TSI, i had a straight through, 3" turbo back exhaust. It ran great, and tended to be a little flamey. I was at a buddies house in the street by a pile of leaves and little pine needles. He kept egging me on to rev it up, so i did, for about 3-4 seconds, constantly shooting a good 7-8" flame, needless to say, we ran as fast as we could to get the hose, those pines needles burn really fast, lol... =)

Guest chevyrestore

in 1960 my grandpa bought a 1959 chevy truck from the dealer, sometime in the 70s he gave it to my dad, in 87 my dad gave it to me, one day when I was 16 i was on the freeway and it just died, gas gauge was inaccurate, still even knowing that I put a new fuel pump on and did all the diagnosing on why that pump wasnt working, all it ended up being was no gas in the tank!

best words my boss ever said to me and i say it to myself every day of my life

"KISS, keep it simple, stupid"

haha, recently I had just finished taking off all of my exhaust so my s30 would sound like a beast (and it does) but I was also putting new gaskets on the thermostat housing, while I was taking the water inlet part of I stripped the threads, so I went to kragen to by thread repair stuff (actualy works great) but I get home and see this girl I know waiting for me, stupid showoff me said "you have to hear this" I get in the car and start her up... sounded great, but I hadnt put the theremostat housing back on yet... coolant everywhere, including the girl, man did I feel dumb

• 2 weeks later...

First day with the V8 - forgot to Loctite the drive shaft to pinion bolts! WOW - I thought the car was disintegrating! The vibrations were scary. Lucky I was going about 30mph and I stopped immediately before the drive shaft came completely off! And while I was re checking everything - I noticed I had dropped BOTH engine mount bolts - go figure! the vibrations just wiggled the suckers right out! Loctite and ARP are my friends!

First day with the V8 - forgot to Loctite the drive shaft to pinion bolts! WOW - I thought the car was disintegrating! The vibrations were scary. Lucky I was going about 30mph and I stopped immediately before the drive shaft came completely off! And while I was re checking everything - I noticed I had dropped BOTH engine mount bolts - go figure! the vibrations just wiggled the suckers right out! Loctite and ARP are my friends!

I am confused........ If You do not apply loctite the bolts will come loose at 30mph :icon56:............. were these solid engine mounts ?Sorry I am stupid maybe that is why it don't make sense to me.