HybridZ

Custom Intake progress. (pics)

2802NR

• 1 month later...

OK 2802NR I would really like a set of those runner as well, and if you are going to be making the intake flange I would take that too. Crunch some numbers and get back to me. I could really use that stuff for my future projects. Thanks for the inspiration!

2802NR:

Your setup (airbox-wise) is exactly what I had proposed for a manifold design a year or so ago. I addressed what I consider an issue of rather uneven distribution of air to all cylinders.

I can't remember whether it was here or on ZCar.com, and really isn't that important.

Since I was thinking in terms of a turbo'd engine, I didn't get into tuning like you are.

I am anxiously awaiting your results!

I'm always thinking in turbo terms... but in an NA application, do you need to taper the plenum towards the ends?

Less air has to pass the ends of the plenum, and velocity needs to be kept up there, right?

Or is that strictly for boosted engines?

Guest JAMIE T

I think it's actually more important on a NA motor than with forced induction. It actually speeds-up and straightens the airflow to the valve. Basically you're turning the whole runner/port into a velocity stack. Good info on this guys! Way to go!

• 6 years later...

Holy cow it really has been 6 years since I started this project. Hard to believe it's taken this long to come back around but as I tore down my L yesterday to fix a dead head gasket, I finally had a chance to mock up this project that is nearing completion.

downsized_0728121327.jpg

I'm really happy with how things fit, it sits nice-n-low in the bay which gives me more room than I anticipated for some intake options, should I ever go forced induction.

I plan on doing a little more clearance on the flange, then I have to come up with a jig for welding the injector bungs. After that I'll have it finish machined and hopefully I'll hear it breathing by the end of the summer. B)

The plenum I finally decided on measures roughly 3.5 liters, 125% displacement. Throttle body is a twin 48mm off of an LT1 corvette. I spent alot of time doing the math for all this stuff, I just hope my elevation (4600ft) doesn't hurt my design.