HybridZ

Ported Turbo manifold (pics)

Garrett76Zt

well, I have been in the process of updating some things on the Z. I upgraded the exhuast wheel on the turbo and promptly lost control of how much boost I was making! My wastegate setup was too small and restrictive coming of the turbine housing. So i decided to get a different external setup and have my good buddy Ivan do some port work on the new Exhaust manifold.

New wastegate is a Turbonetics Deltagate. Hopefully its big enough, but if not the deltagate uses the same 2-bolt flange as the bigger Tials, so that should be no big deal. Anyways Old wastegate setup was off the turbine housing, and the New setup is off the manifold, so this should free up some flow.

Here's some pics of the new stuff.

Old Manifold on top. Ported Manifold on bottom.

IMG_1852.JPG

Runner one

IMG_1853.JPG

Where it matters! Turbo flange, Cyl #1-4 all collect here.

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

Old wastegate setup

IMG_1857.JPG

New Wastegate setup

IMG_1856.JPG

I'll prolly have this stuff coated before I throw it on.

Finally I can run some controlled boost through this thing!!

don't be afraifd to open up the area where runners 1, 2, 3, and 4 come through to the collector. It's think there so it will take awhile, but it will help flow quite a bit. the gasket matching that was done is a great start, just don't stop there. Work further in the ports and open up that area as mentioned above.

I have ported the high nickle stock f54 cast manifolds for years, but I've stayed away from welding new access ports for wastegates into them even though its said to be safe when using the high nickle rods....prone to cracking eventually.

Instead, I went the long route and built a 316L Stainless wastegate adapter that killed two birds w/1 stone . It adapted for a Tial 40mm gate and also moved the larger T/4 compressor housing away from the intake man. and block. This particular one actually lowers the turbo as well to fascilitate my large diameter Intake manifold. Also it made a perfect approach for the 3" downpipe with 45 degree mandrels getting away from ANY 90's in the whole system.

If your wondering......the black finish on the Ex. man. is a 2000 degree ceramic coating I sent off to have done a few years back before it was SO overpriced.

Looks like this:

Turbo_wastegate_adapter_005.jpg

Installed ...it positions the gate in a great spot for a natural choice to re-enter the Ex. system or do a screamer pipe.The flange for the gate is able to swivel on this one for ease of orientation.

Turbo_wastegate_adapter_013.jpg

I personally don't care for exhaust entering the cabin or the staining of the engine bay with the fumes/soot from tuning days or long hard pulls.To each his own as usual on this one.lol.

.............Vinny 8)

it looks decent, there is a guy in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (a suburb of Tulsa, OK where I live) that does my porting. Does an awesome job for a great price. I'd love to see how good your EM would have looked after he got done with it

Thanks guys,

One thing you'll really benefit from that adapter is allowing SO much more room for the larger TO4E frames.Take a close look at the space now between the fenderwell and compressor housing.

I built that thing over a year ago from about 12 pieces,including the welded bolts.Its certainly NOT an item to be mass produced .......obviously NOT from me anyway,lol.

Feel free to copy the design if you like it......I have NO intension of cloning it any time soon.I'm buried.

I am just trying to point out that porting a factory ex. manifold is a plus ! Welding on it can be entirely subjective to the quality and knowledge being applied to it........but it WILL eventually crack.How long or how many hours of heat exposure would that take ???I don't know.

Perhaps if only used as a second car and blasted with heat a few times a month, it could last for as long as you own the car. So I'm NOT saying its a waste of effort or time by any means.

I DO feel that if you were to grind the wall thickness as close to the same throughout the manifold,particularly close to the new wastegate flange welds......it might last longer ?

In the end.........I want a tubular tuned manifold like I've got sitting on the shelf waiting to be finished before I die.

Vinny 8)

I love that idea Vinny. Thanks for showing us this. This could also be incorporated into adapting other size bolt pattern turbos up aswell.

Funny how no one asked questions about the head you are using in that picture' date=' or did I miss something in a different post/thread?[/quote']

Good eye there Spotfitz !lol. Its really nothing special.....just a modified N47 w/heavy porting,unshrouded valves etc.Gave me a little higher compression ratio off boost.Very lively and I loved it.Coupled with the custom intake, it really opened things up for breathing better.Its houses a mild Erson cam....but I found nothing wrong with the stock P90 cam really.Good street car set-up.

.............Vinny

I guess it's just the angle of the pic but it looks like there are no intake ports. As if they were welded up. I started having visions of cross flow heads.

Ohhh, I gotcha'. I was wondering what was driving that thought. Not enough view of the head to know what # it was, i thought to self.

Its covered with silver duct tape to hide special porting,hehehe. We all know it can only be shaped one way on a stock ex. man..but the intake is open for liberties.

Someone start a thread of pix of tubular turbo ex. manifolds that members have done.

Vinny

oh oh.. duct tape.. LoL

I was gonna ask... um.. Vinny what

top secret 007 stuff are you hiding from us?!

Oh I KNEW I shouldn't have said anything. You guys don't miss a thing.lol.

Its really nothing that probably hasn't been done 50 times before I would think.We've been porting on these things for so many years...its ALL been done by now.

Did that longwinded statement divert your curiosity enough so I don't have to say "no pix" ...??lol.

Vinny 8)