HybridZ

Ported Turbo manifold (pics)

Garrett76Zt

Just a Note. When we compared the interior diameter of the runners on a STOCK Nissan Eurospec Turbo Manifold (the three-piece unit) they were actually BIGGER than the Tubular Header JeffP had made at South Florida Performance.

None to happy with this revelation, JeffP was in a funk for an extended period over it....LOL

Anyway, the stock Eurospec manifold is very nice, and has the ability to porte almost EVERY part of the manifold due to being a three piece unit. Aside from the addition of the "Spacer-Wastegate" shown above, a little porting by the head for flow and I think it would be the ultimate part...factory cleaned up, cast iron, durable, and easily capable of the exhaust flow required for probably 600 horsepower.

Unfortunately they are NLA from Nissan, so the only way to find one is in a Junkyard on the Continent! Very nice piece if you can get one, though! I believe the proper Nissan Term for it's caasting base metal now would be referred to as "Unobtanium"... Anyone in for casting knockoff pieces out of STanless Steel Scraps in their backyard Casting Blast Furnace? LOL

Just a Note. When we compared the interior diameter of the runners on a STOCK Nissan Eurospec Turbo Manifold (the three-piece unit) they were actually BIGGER than the Tubular Header JeffP had made at South Florida Performance.

None to happy with this revelation' date=' JeffP was in a funk for an extended period over it....LOL

Anyway, the stock Eurospec manifold is very nice, and has the ability to porte almost EVERY part of the manifold due to being a three piece unit. Aside from the addition of the "Spacer-Wastegate" shown above, a little porting by the head for flow and I think it would be the ultimate part...factory cleaned up, cast iron, durable, and easily capable of the exhaust flow required for probably 600 horsepower.

Unfortunately they are NLA from Nissan, so the only way to find one is in a Junkyard on the Continent! Very nice piece if you can get one, though! I believe the proper Nissan Term for it's caasting base metal now would be referred to as "Unobtanium"... Anyone in for casting knockoff pieces out of STanless Steel Scraps in their backyard Casting Blast Furnace? LOL[/quote']

NO KIdding ?? I can't say that I remember seeing the 3-piece variety before. Any Pix of one ??

I haven't seen JeffP's manifold,but it would seem that if he has a well thought out tubular design......it would have more flow regardless of the Euro's porting unless they were both a "LOG" design rather than full path tube all the way to the main turbo flange.

Really......you don't want a tube thats huge anyway unless your specifying for a certain type of HP at a certain rpm.Your main restriction will always be the size of the turbine's exit/discharge diameter.So if your not Large there......no need to be large at the manifold too.

Realizing of course that the back pressure "AFTER" the turbine impeller is a different story altogether.

I'd be interested in viewing the Euro turbo manifold though ??

.............Vinny

JeffP has some pics of it on his site here: [url']http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page11.html[/url]

OH YEAh........I remember that manifold now from years ago ! Strange that there was any need for a different casting tooling. You'd have thought the expense would have made them go with only ONE design.

Thanks for the link......and yes, it would make for easy port work,IF its really needed ?

................Vinny

The reason for the Euro Manifold is simple: The US does not have conditions conducive to turbo application for more than a few seconds at a time. The Euro Manifold does NO "warp up at the ends" like the stock US and JDM manifolds do, and will take SUSTAINED turbo usage---running on boost for hours as opposed to minutes at a time.

Europe is probably the only place where you can hold you foot in the throttle and use the full rated BHP for an hour at a time! (260Kph)

Hell, at Bonneville, the course is only 5 miles long....

Anyway, if someone used that stock US Spec manifold for very long on the Autobhan I suspect some stresses from thermal growth would manifest themselves. The slip joints on the Euro Manifold allow for the expansion.

And if the SoFlorida Performance had similar joints, they wouldn't warp off the head 3/8" after a few runs!

Remember the Eurospec Turbos were rated at 20 more HP than US Spec Vehicles... With a higher top speed. When you look at the manifold, you can see it's a better piece than the US/JDM unit, hands down!

As for if porting is needed, the first photos on this post show that there are flow restrictions that need to be addressed at the head juncture, as well as proper porting of the turbine inlet housing to match at least.

By Euro, I mean EURO.... GERMANY!

The JDM L20ET has the EXACT SAME manifold as the L28ET we got here in the USA.

The Euro Manifold was on continental cars---the manifolds usually come out of Germany. I have had one pass through my hands to JeffP, and one that I had to disassemble to fit in my personal Clothing Bag (disassembled in the back of a Nissan Leopard, under the watchful eye of an Uzi-Toting Poleizi at Degaulle Airport departure curb at about 230AM one morning after spending the day in Paris!)

The guy who was my source is no longer shipping internationally due to some developments like loosing several shipments in the Katrina Morass (tracked 3.36 R200 Ring and Pinion Sets to the trans-shipping/customs house in Alabama the week Katrina hit---then, noooothing! Like they disappeared!)

He will be making the pilgrimage to MSA this year, though... Perhaps he could be persuaded to bring parts (which I think he's doing anyway! LOL) Frank and Xander---are you following this thread?

I have that one manifold, with some alterations on the stock expansion joints. That coating after porting is in the works for this one for sure.

Well...I don't know this fine fellow who has access to the manifolds. Perhaps you can persuade him to work on bringing me one over or shipping one out to Missouri. I don't forsee anything but SNOW weatherwise here,so no real shipping risk/loss.lol.

Let me know in a P.M. if you can.I'm interested in using one.

.............Thanks...........Vinny 8)