HybridZ

Maximum Boost on Stock Rods

series1_240zt

You can't go wrong with any of the forged piston manufacturers (JE, ROSS, Venolia, Arias, etc). You just tell them what you have, what you want and they'll make them up $pecial for you;)

As far as rods, I have yet to hear of anyone destroying the stockers with a properly tuned motor, so they are good for 400+ rwhp I would say. In most cases, you'll want to have them prepped (magnafluxed to check for cracks, resized crank ends, and then the rod ends drilled and bushed for the floating pins that will come with your forged pistons). An exotic rod (like a carillo, etc) is probably unnecessary unless you are shooting for the stars in horsepower.

What do you mean by "stock?"

Have they been:

Deburred?

Polished?

Straightened?

Shot peened?

Cryo treated?

Balanced?

Lightened?

9mm ARP Bolts?

Or are they pulled out of a junkyard engine, sprayed with Brake Kleen, and bolted in the new engine re-using the old rod bolts?

What do you mean by "stock?"

Have they been:

Deburred?

Polished?

Straightened?

Shot peened?

Cryo treated?

Balanced?

Lightened?

9mm ARP Bolts?

Or are they pulled out of a junkyard engine' date=' sprayed with Brake Kleen, and bolted in the new engine re-using the old rod bolts?[/quote']

LOL!!

According to the old "How To Modify" book, they saw no problems until exceeding 100HP per hole.

Then again, Electramotive only said their 83 ZXT was rated at 580hp @ 7500 with 21.6psi of boost....

How did they exceed 100 a hole then?

Muahahahaha! (I know John C knows the answer...)

The bigger issue with rods in the L6 is rpm. If you regularly see rpms (both acceleration and deceleration) north of 7,200 rpm then aftermarket rods are important.

...and with an L28ET, why would you want to? The issue is not boost but detonation. You have a good turbo, injs and I/C, so carefully tune the SDS to avoid detonation and you have nothing to worry about, certainly not with a t3/t04. The more you tune to avoid detonation, the more boost you can run, the more power you can make...safely.

boost does not kill the motor-detonation does.there is a limit to boost because of low octane pump gas.if you put race gas in you can run more boost with a better ignition timing curve and get more hp.if you are trying to cobble your car along with stock efi system it will limit out soon.a stock 280zxt engine with a good turbo/efi/intercooler system will live a long time if tuned properly.i have run a stock zxt motor for 2 hours at sears point at 15psi on stock efi system but i was running 110 octane gas.

Have heard of Nissan FJ20DET rods being used in L's but don't know that for sure. Those rods regularly do way over 100hp per hole but my guess is that some aftermarket rods would be cheaper and better.

Bent rods seem fairly common on highly stressed turbo engines rather than broken rods. Stock RB30ET rods will bend if you get too ambitious with your power output.