HybridZ

NA Rb26 anyone?

stony

• 6 months later...

i was just wondering about this.

what kind of numbers and performance specs are people seeing.

how does the engine respond well to a very high compression and high revs.

i'd imagine some valvetrain work would be needed.

whats they likes?! :flamedevi

selling off all the turbo **** on the imported engines could pay for virtually evreything that you need to do the job. or close to it, atleast.

• 2 months later...

I'm extremely interested in a naturally aspirated RB26. I think 300+ horsepower is possible with this motor, and with a high-reaching powerband to take advantage of after a thorough valvetrain rework. I read about a stroked L-series engine a guy and his son built that hit over 300 WHP.

Guest adroit_concepts

I saw an rb26 de on ebay yesterday an was wondering about it myself...lemme see if I can find it again ,it was way cheap too like 900 bucks

I'm extremely interested in a naturally aspirated RB26. I think 300+ horsepower is possible with this motor, and with a high-reaching powerband to take advantage of after a thorough valvetrain rework. I read about a stroked L-series engine a guy and his son built that hit over 300 WHP.

I'm probably going to be preparing a RB30 with some high comp pistons and some RB25DE headwork. the problem is finding some good gas to run in the darned thing if i want to use it as a cruiser.

I just moved out of the old foggies home and im on my own, so i'm trying to judge whether a fueling system and a standalone along with some headwork would be fun with an NA 3 litre RB, or if i should go turbo and get around 500 hp for the same cost, since it's been done on RB30's no problem before.

Im gonna hvae to read some aussie boards a bit more.

i think compression ratio is the most crucial thing, as using a piston with a high dome can get in the way because i think the engine is quite close to interfering on a 9.5:1 setup.

but i have to read more into it. im sure there can be some welding of combustion chamber to build up the comp.

any ideas?

I dont really know much about naturally asspirated RB motors that well, just never had an intrest in something like that. But correct me if i am wrong. If you take an RB25 vs RB26 in non turbo setup they will pull same amount of power in naturally aspirated form. RB26 was design to with stand alot of abuse from boost that means HP vs Torque, in naturally aspirated form it will be feeding alot of torque so there will be some HP loss because of such a high displacement and it wont really make a big diffrence as a matter fact i dont think there will be any diffrence in between RB25 or RB26....the only diffrence is how much money will need to be spent.

Guest adroit_concepts

I tried to find it again and I couldn't but I'll look again ...it was a fluke I found it the first time and thought it was odd so I didn't book mark it ,DOH!

• 2 months later...

Added the pics to my Hybridz album so it can be seen once the original pictures are gone.

skyline_itb.jpg

sklyine_itb2.jpg

sklyine_itb3.jpg

Also If anyone has any pics of the N/A RB powered skyline featured in best motoring vol. 5, I'd really like to see them! (i think someone has that engine as their sig pic)

-Oliver

• 1 year later...

Personally, I'd go with the biggest engine, that being the RB30.

more displacement = more capacity for more power.

RB's don't like to be revved out to high unless it's all built anyway, so building it right from the start may negate any concerns about the RB30 being unable to rev.

RB's are all under-square in terms of stroke length. Closest to square being the RB30. I think the combination of stroke and bore size of the RB30 is the best of both worlds in that it would make great low-rev power and rev to a reasonable level.

8500 has been proven, but for a circle track I'm not sure if the engine can endure that at many laps.

The idea of being able to rev to high RPM isn't really a good measure of an propensity to make power, because you're putting more stress on the components. I'd look at which engine has the capability to make similar power at lower revs, and use that as a base to tune the head to make power at high revs.

And in this particular RB case, the RB30 makes 15% more torque and power, 15% earlier in the rev range, as per RB30DET.com

In any case, I tend to look at things from neither the stroke/bore size or square size.

Take a look at a circle and an oval. if the crank rotates in a circle (you better hope it does!) It seems to me that in order to achieve a reasonable piston side-load and rod-load that will have the best combination of revvability and reliability, you'd want to come as close to a square as possible. that would (in my mind, anyway), make stress all around the rotating assembly spread itself more evenly, being that a square motor is essentially a circle one, and a over/under square is essentially an oval one.

Just something I believe in. if anyone can give me some technical info to think inside/further outside the box, i'd like to hear it cause I'm definitely not an expert at all.