HybridZ

Prosche 930 Cv adapters completed

ezzzzzzz

After seeing Blueovalz' 930 CV adapters and axles I just had to follow. These things are hugh! I had the basic adapters machined at a local shop per my drawings. The cold-rolled round stock mild steel cut into four pieces cost $44.00. The machine work was another $275. I did the final drilling and tapping in about 6 hours. The adapters are held to the stub axle companion flange using 10-1.25 mm bolts or studs. The 930 CV's use 3/8-24 bolts. The original 82 Nissan 720 R180A front differential companion flanges are stock. The original CV bolts are machined down (for a prior Type II CV adapter) but the stock bolt would likely work fine. I need to install the rearend and measure for Sway-A-Way axles now. I suspect I'll need the same ones Blueovalz used and machine to accomodate the required length. These will never blow up! Check out my gallery for updated photos!

(pride swelling up inside me as a small tear begins to fall from my left eye). Looking good! And yes, these things are huge, but I was surprised by the fact that, aside from the adapter plates, there was no net increase in weight between these and the ZXT axles I used earlier.

I thought about keeping with the metric hardware, but availability was better for the 7/16" studs I used to attach the companion flanges onto the plates, but I did use 10mm X 65mmw socket heads to attach the CVs to the plates.

Thanks for the photos!! (Don't be like Mike) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here are some final photos of my install. I also moved the differential over 7/8" to center it with the transmission output shaft, but the differential is sill higher than the tranny output shaft (but parallel). Then I made a Ron Tyler (RT) mount by tapping the 1/2" holes cast into the differential housing to a 9/16" NF thread, and attaching the RT mount to the differential via 9/16 NF bolts. Then I also attached an adapter plate to the bottom of the differential using the same methods (tapped and bolted). The machine shop charged me $25 to cut new grooves into the axles (to position the CVs perfectly) for the cir-clips and to cut off the remaining ends.

Here is the RT mount with the crossmember mount. I did it this way so that I could remove the crossmember (to work on the suspension) without unbolting any of the RT mounting assembly.

standard.jpg

The RT mount in place (notice the tapped holes on the bottom of the differential. This is how I attached the top (RT mount) and bottom crossmember to the differential

standard.jpg

Here is the short side in the car (missing a few bolts, and the sway bar is positioned over the axle (it will be under the axle for final assembly)

standard.jpg

The neat thing is that I can put the axles in and out of the car without removing any stubs or companion flanges. Also, the adapter can be bolted to the companion flange and then this assembly can be bolted onto the stub axle. I did add about 4.5 lbs to the axles with this conversion, which was the weight of the adapter plates.

standard.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, I'm off to the machine shop in the morning to get these EMPI axles cut to length and grooved for circlips. Shown is nearly everything needed. The R180 6 bolt flanges are already under the car. Shown are the adapters (black oxided), 930 CV joints, backside flanges (to hold in the grease), '78 930 CV outer flanges, and hardware. The axles are 396.875mm long. They will be shortened to approximately 355.4mm. The CV boots and gaskets are on their way to the house. I'm so close to driving this car again!

DSCF0080 (Small)_thumb.JPG

These diff flanges are found in the early eighties 720 4x4. That front diff is a R180A using the bolt-in flange with the 6 bolt (tulip CV) pattern. Of course, it allows the use of early diffs with modern CV joints.

• 1 month later...

WooHoo! I finally got everything together and assemblied the CV axles! It took ages to get the proper CV flanges and boots. The adapters are bolted to the stub axle and diff flanges. A test fit prior to assembly went too smoothly to believe. These axles can be installed and removed without having to disassemble any parts. One step closer to putting the Z back on the road!

DSCF0203 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0204 (Small)_thumb.JPG

Wow, nice work! :2thumbs: They're so clean it's almost a shame to mount them on the car where no one will see them :mrgreen:

If you document with a bit more detail (hey, you already have pictures) we can "sticky" or FAQ the thread.

Davy

I'll get some info together. BlueOvalZ should also be a contributor. He was my inspiration to build mine. There are many variables to choose from when building a set of CV axles. I'm adding some more pictures of the axles being installed. Ignore the surface rust on the adapters. That will be treated and painted a bit later. In order to use the forward mount anti sway bar I had to shorten the links and modify the chassis brackets to move the bar forward about .5". It is as close as it will get in these pictures with the car on jack stands and the suspension in full droop.

DSCF0206 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0207 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0217 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0219 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0220 (Small)_thumb.JPG