HybridZ

L series dimensions - Stroke, Bore, Chamber cc's, etc

savageskaterkid

I was looking for bore and stroke and all sorts of other things for the L engines, and I can't seem to find them all in the same place. I cannot get the Lengine program to work either. I do have all the info now but I was wondering if we can make a FAQ or sticky with all this info.

Like Bore, Stroke, Chamber CCs, ect.... for all the L series engines. (including diesel)

I was looking threw the old threads and alot of questions about these things and a bit of usefull info scattered throughout the pages newbies being told to search.

Would someone possibly make a FAQ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try a little:

L24:

83mm X 73.3mm

2393cc

Head = 42.4cc

L26:

83mm X 79mm

2565cc

Head = 44.7cc

L28:

86mm X 79mm

2753cc

Head = 44.6cc

LD28:

84.5mm X 83mm

2792cc

Head = ???

That's all I can remember. Although someone may want to double check my numbers.

Edit: added head cc's.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, atleast now its all in the same place. And when I said Chamber cc's i meant the combustion chamber not the entire displacement. But that is exactly what I needed.

Yeah, I figured you wanted the combustion chamber of the head, but what I gave was from memory, and I don't know the combustion chamber cc's. I'll have to look that up. I'll go look for it now.

Yeah! I'm part of a sticky! lol. Now we just need more people to throw in some of their knowledge so this can be truly worthy of being a sticky! Come on people! I know their has to be more info out there!

EDIT:

Do you think someone could change the name of the thread? "possible sticky or faq?" doesn't exactly tell people what's in here. Just a thought...

• 4 weeks later...

I realize this post is kind of old but since its a sticky I though I'd chip in here. The spec for the L28 above are not entirely accurate. The cc's anyways. It's correct in that the early N47 heads were 44.6cc's. But the later P (p79, p90/a)series heads (found on the F54 block) were actually 53.6cc's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest TeamNissan
Does this help?

Thats a good info page, into my bookmarks it goes lol.

Does anyone have the flow rates on each head?

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators
Also, can anyone add the information about which heads have solid lifters and which are hydro?

E-31, E-88, N-42, N-47, MN-47 P-79, P-90 are mechanical.

P-90A is the only head that came with hydraulic slack adjusters and the only way to know for sure with a P-90A head is to remove the valve cover for visual verification.

• Administrators

Flow rates? (every time someone wants to know and/or compare cylinder head port flow rates, I get this terrible uncontrollable twitch in my shoulder…) hypno.gif

This has been covered before. Flow benches are an invaluable tool, much like a Torque wrench but only to the person using that tool, i.e. the person performing the head massaging. Those figures have NO performance value to the customer, end user, driver, tuner, gas pump attendant, neighbors cat, etc. The actual HP and Torque the engine produces as measured on a Dynamometer and/or Drag strip ET and MPH with the vehicle weight, are the figures that really matter most, not port flow rates. Comparing flow figures is like comparing head bolt torque values, i.e. serve no real function, especially from different flow benches utilizing different testing inlets/outlet horns, etc. For those figures to be of any real benefit, the test conditions NEED to be exactly duplicated on the “same” bench for accurate indications of possible flow gains. Flow figures are primarily for cylinder head massagers to use as a guide to whether or not they made any improvements in “static” air flow and that should be done on the SAME flow bench. Generally an improvement in “static” flow is indicative of the head being able to produce more power by virtue of flowing more air. Also, this "static" flow testing is only a very small part of a very complex scenario. Keep in mind the term “static” flow. A flow bench does NOT replicate what is actually taking place within the port in regards to air flow on a “running” engine such as helmholtz, valve events vs engine/piston speed, combustion efficiency due to chamber shape, how the exhaust tract affects scavenging, reversion, and the list goes on and on. Also, just porting a head for MAXIMUM flow can be achieved with overly aggressive bubba style hogging, and that head would be a lousy street engine. The real trick is getting those high flow numbers without making the ports the size of the Holland Tunnel.

In short, flow rates are not to be bench raced or used for anything other than the person performing the port work to use as a “general” idea if an improvement in “static” flow has been achieved as measured on the SAME flow bench after mods have been performed.

With that said, "1 fast Z" has been kind enough in the past to share flow numbers as he progressed in porting some L-series heads, i.e. repeatable useful flow numbers. Maybe he’ll chime in, though good luck getting him to share what the “exact” mods performed were for those different flow figures/graphs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

L28:

86mm X 79mm

2753cc

Head = 44.6cc

LD28:

84.5mm X 83mm

2792cc

Head = ???

so a LD28 crank into a L28 gives a stroker with:

86 x 83

Using http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/cylindervolume.php (my maths sucks without a fancy calculator, better than the MS windows build in calc) to give a cylinder size of 482.32485714285673 then multiplying the result by 6 for number of cylinders gives: 2893.9491428571405

or close enough to 2894cc. 2.9 litres.

Yet I all a read on this forum in terms of stroker builds are 3.0 or 3.1 not 2.9

do the strokers also get bored out, or does installing the LD28 crank into L28 do something I'm missing from the straight bore x stroke lists here?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have a list of throttle body bore sizes for Nissan engines?

I know:

L28ET throttle body= 50mm

KA24 throttle body= 60mm

VH45DE throttle body= 90mm

Anyone have the standard L28E throttle body size? (if different than the L28ET unit, confirmation maybe?)

Also the Maxima L24E?

*challenger and BRAAP both agree w/ 50mm stock L28E throttle body size, although BRAAP isn't taking well to the metric takeover(just playing!)*

2” ID OE L-28 EFI throttle valves with full diameter throttle shafts