HybridZ

z31 swap

Guest tha-Zic

Hate to bring up the past but I have both a z31 turbo and an sr powered s13...... both mostly stock and vg kills big time. buying the vg= free, buying the sr alone cost more than building a proper 400whp vg.....unless you get a killer deal when when the p.o.s. Ka blows up.. *cough cough*

Hate to bring up the past but I have both a z31 turbo and an sr powered s13...... both mostly stock and vg kills big time. buying the vg= free, buying the sr alone cost more than building a proper 400whp vg.....unless you get a killer deal when when the p.o.s. Ka blows up.. *cough cough*

The cost of the motor or swap itself was not a factor in the debate. I still stand by my statement that the SR dollar for dollar is easier to get 300WHP out of then the vg30et. (doing it correctly)

I love the VG, but dollar for dollar the SR with it's vast aftermarket support will win a dollar-WHP contest to a point. (up to about 300WHP, then the SR will start running into problems with a stock longblock)

Edited by hoov100

The cost of the motor or swap itself was not a factor in the debate. I still stand by my statement that the SR dollar for dollar is easier to get 300WHP out of then the vg30et. (doing it correctly)

I love the VG, but dollar for dollar the SR with it's vast aftermarket support will win a dollar-WHP contest to a point. (up to about 300WHP, then the SR will start running into problems with a stock longblock)

That's really what I'm not getting about your argument hoov, the VG requires almost NO WORK to get to 300hp. It's about equal in what's required at that level as a L28ET, and those dominate these forums as the luck buck king to the 300hp mark.

Doing something "right" is always subjective to the person and their goals. And my counter point to your argument is based off of what people ACTUALLY spend, not on what we can dream to spend. Even people here on these forums spend quite a pretty penny building SR motors. Just because there's lots of availability for parts doesn't make them cheap motors. It just means you have options.

The core items of making power on any stock motor are always going to plague ANY motor. Such as:

Wideband

Injectors

Propper ECU tuning capability

Time to tune it all the best it can be

All of us here know that just throwing parts together doesn't make power. There have been guys that have gotten very impressive results just by taking their time and doing something meticulously and maybe thinking outside the box. Like the guy who made over 300hp on stock turbo ZX injectors by running multiple fuel pumps with over 100psi fuel pressure.

Building a cheap motor isn't something always inherent to a motor per say, but rather a mindset of the builder. And I personally believe (which people are allowed to disagree with) that the VG is a good route to go for someone who's practicing the art of budget HP building. The SR isn't a bad choice either, but the low buy in for the VG makes it specially appealing as plenty of people have made over 400hp on stock longblocks.

What really cracks me up is that you made comments about onesickZ's car and he himself corrected you about what he said and you still haven't acknowledged that correction. That's the truth man, people like him HAVE build HIGH hp VG's for VERY cheap. He CHOSE to have it rebuilt at tuned by someone else AFTER he'd already proven the motor capable, not the other way around.