HybridZ

it's alive and well! my story...

Guest lessthanjabo

Guest lessthanjabo

okay. So, I finished my swap the other day. I did not have any manuals. no JTR... no kits... nothing. I know some of you may think "that was stupid" or brave, even? nonetheless, I have my 1979 280ZX powered by a moderately built 350 w/ 700R4 tranny, up and running.

First of all, let me start off by asking if there are ANY guys who frequent this board around here in Birmingham? I think there is a Z-club that meets over here on Lakeshore @ Loco's? I would like to have someone around that I can at least get my work checked out by someone who's accustomed to this, and make sure I'm not doing anything dangerous ;)

So I've fired up my Z a few times, but never actually made a run until Saturday morning. it was unbelievable!! I sit in the driver's seat and insert the key. the engine tries and fails a couple of times, and finally, we have some magic! the exhaust is rumbling (i am running 2 3/4" exhaust from custom block hugging headers. The exhaust w/ mufflers ends I guess at about 6-8" before the rear wheels. I didn't route it through the suspension and all.) I have a B&M QuickShifter, and I lift up and pull it down into Drive. Before I can even hit the throttle, the car is already moving forward at a slow rate. I ease up to the street and of course I am wrestling the lack of power steering, for my right turn. I manage to overcome the odds, and I pull out slowly onto the highway. I give a little gas to get going. keep in mind, I have no speedometer. I DO have the old tach still hooked up, however, I don't think it's configured correctly. maybe it is, I couldn't really tell. This is my first venture w/ a V8. everything is going smooth, I've been driving in a straight line for about 3 miles, and I get up to the intersate. I hesitantly get up on I-59, and I scrape my exhaust going up the onramp (I only have about 2-3 inches clearance right now) What great timing.... bumper to bumper traffic. yes.... So I'm basically at a stand still, you know, with everyone inching along, slamming on there brakes, whatnot. only I realize, there will be NO slamming on the brakes for me. i must have a lot of air in the lines (yes, i left them uncapped for about 6 months.) I have some brake pressure, but it really doesn't kick in until the pedal is almost on the floor. I am getting nervous as I see images of me rearending someone (my tag has expired in the last 6 months by the way...) but that was no prob. traffic cleared up, and I was on my way! I get off on I-65 and it's wide open. being young still (yes, I'm 21) I still hade to play with it you know? I'm steady cruising around 60 mph, and I drop the hammer for a second... WOW. eveytime I had doubts about this project, this 20 seconds just took those doubts away. I felt my head sink back into the headrest, and I was thinking about how I'm still not even at full throttle. I had to bend my gas pedal forward some, because at it's former state, it would stop at the floor before you could even hit full throttle. I decided I should play it safe, and quit while I was ahead. I turned around and came back home and parked the ZX. not too shabby. cost me around 4.00 in gas for that ~30 mile venture.:icon52:

questions... I have an electric fan that I just have hooked to a toggle switch. I usually keep it on once the engine warms up, but even on, when I come to a stop, there is smoke coming through the air vents in the hood. normal? I'm not sure.

still don't have an air filter. i guess my engine is mounted too high, but I want to go with a hood scoop anyway. when you close the hood, I have about .5" from the bottom of the hood to the butterfly on the carburetor.

when switching gears, you can hear them pretty loudly. it's not a problem i guess. just wondering if anyone else's did this. Keep in mind, this is my first V8 project, and truthfully, the first time I've had an Auto Tranny.

anyway, it's a great feeling to be driving this monster, and to be a new, active part of this community. I look forward to hearing from everyone, and as always, construcive critisism is accepted! don't worry, I'm not one to get butt-hurt. :)

jabo

questions... I have an electric fan that I just have hooked to a toggle switch. I usually keep it on once the engine warms up' date=' but even on, when I come to a stop, there is smoke coming through the air vents in the hood. normal? I'm not sure. [/quote']

No, that's not normal. You are incredibly brave to take the thing up on the highway on your first ride. I tore up the neighborhood for a while when I got mine going then after a few days got up on the loop to go to the exhaust shop. If your engine is fresh don't go too wild on it because you really don't have any idea what all could go wrong. Congrats on it coming together. The first time I got on mine I got pretty tickled myself. I was thinking, now I got somn!

Smoke through the hood. That can be bad. Make sure you do not have any kind of leaks and it is getting on the exhaust and burning off. Also make sure nothing moved around and is touching the hot parts. How is the temp? any guages?

I recall my first cruise in my Z with a tuned properly v-8( long story). It was great, until I had a Chernobyl event due to someone elses wiring(I didn't do it but I sure fixed it)

Guest lessthanjabo

pics are coming soon! as for the smoke thing....

fixed.

don't question my stupidity... no really. it was stupid. but NO SMOKE ANYMORE.

:)