HybridZ

how do i swap a VG30DE into 240z???

Guest slideNsideways9

Guest slideNsideways9

I want to swap a vg30de into my 240 very bad but idk if it is going to be a waste of my time, too much work for nothing or whatever. Let me know about the swap please.

anything can be accomplished w/ a lot of time & $$$.

I hate saying this, but do your homework (search EVERYWHERE on the net for info) before jumping into something like this, and be prepared for anything. There are much easier, and well documented swaps out there that i'd suggest.

There is a member here who did this swap, can't remember his name though, use the search function.

If I remember correctly it required that he notch the frame rails at the back of the engine bay to clear the exhuast manifolds. Lots of work.

Like Karay240 said there are easier swaps that net as good if not better performance for less money and time.

What are your goals for the car?

What are you starting with?

What is your budget?

I just noticed you live in Washington, where abouts?

Wheelman

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sparks280zt, that link was pretty cool, but the question @ hand is the DETT swap, not the ET.

This ET swap does bring an interesting example of how tight the fit is. The Z32 motor is DOHC and is SUBSTANTIALY wider than the Z31. This does even include the TWO turbos.

The only 240Z I have seen w/ a successful VG30DETT in "Z Car magazine" back in '97. I've looked and looked for more info, but have been unsuccessful, so if anyone can chime in, that'd be great.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I would think the n/a vg30e will fit with no mods to the steering. It was the turbo that severly got in the way.

you would still need to make the mounts for the motor, and the tranny mount only needs modding (it needs to be moved 1-2")

It would have some wow factor seeing it in though, but It would not be a very budget swap compared to a l28 turbo engine. The n/a's can be made to perform very well. I know of a local n/a z31 pushing some decent power. There are still plenty of aftermarket parts avail, but not nearly like the l28 aftermarket.

cast iron blocks. the vg30de(tt) engines are quite heavy... which is somewhat odd since the vg30e(t) engines are rather light weight for a iron block, aluminum heads v6. 84-86 vg30et is roughly 396. i've heard the vg30dett is well over 500 lbs.

for the most part they are the same (bore, stroke, bearing sizes, bell housing bolt pattern, etc.) but some of the differences are the head bolts locations (naturally since its sohc vs. dohc) and i believe the TT block has spots for oil squirters. i'm pretty sure that the oil/coolant passages through the block to the head are likely different but overall they're the same basic design.

cast iron blocks. the vg30de(tt) engines are quite heavy... which is somewhat odd since the vg30e(t) engines are rather light weight for a iron block, aluminum heads v6. 84-86 vg30et is roughly 396. i've heard the vg30dett is well over 500 lbs.

VG30DETT - 526 lbs. with all accessories attached :shock:

The reason they are so heavy is the four robust camshafts. I bet those cams weigh close to 20 lbs apiece. Even the NA VG30DE is a heavy bastard...

Those wide heads (the engine is wider than a 454 Chevy!) and the prodigious weight makes this engine not a very good swap candidate.

Oh yeah, also, you have to replace the timing belt every 60K miles. :( Not a 15 minute job either. :icon45:

• 2 weeks later...

one was the guys that run the datsun resoration parts business..."too something" is their name and the other was the first to my knowledge, the white 280z that was in Turbo magazine years ago. That guy still owns the car and has a Z shop in the San Fernando valley I 've been recently told.