HybridZ

i accidentlly bought two z's (pics)

materchan

the plan was to buy a earlyer z so i wouldnt have to smog it because i have a little feeling that i would fail visual. so i was looking on craigslist for a nice car that mabye needs a little work so i could get it for cheap. i would then over the next few months swap over all the stuff i could on my 76 that would fit. then i found it, a 5/70 240z 4400 z ever made that was fairley rust free. it only cost me $1000 which was just the right price for me.DSCN2275.jpg

the car didnt run because one carb was bad, but the guy threw in a extra set of 3 screw su's. so i threw on the other set and ran it out of a gas tank and it actually worked I LOVE THE SIMPLICITY OF THESE THINGS, i have MS&S on the 76 and it's great for a well modifyed car, but just to get the damn thing running you cant beat su's.

so then i was cleaning it up, repairing what little rust there was when i saw another add where the guy was claiming to have a 72 that he had completly modded the suspension and brakes, but the engine was bad(perfect!!). if i got this i would save my self hours of work and thousands of dollars for parts that this car already had on it. the guy was asking $2k for i and i just had that much that i could spend. so i went to check it out and i was exactly what i wanted. TONS of suspension mods but a bad engine that i planned on swaping out. so i bought it and somehow my parents actually allowed me to keep 3 z's at the house while i sold the 70. well the pics speak for themselves.DSCN2282.jpg

oh yeah and he didn't even mention the 5 lug swap with the 350z wheels in his craigslist add.

he rolled the fender lip to fit some flairs that he didnt get to, mabye ill throw some ZG's on there.DSCN2283.jpg

5 lug swap with 240sx calipers with parking brake, oh yeah and GC coilovers with illuminas.DSCN2286.jpg

almost forgot to show the money shot.

DSCN2285.jpg

this was the ONLY rust i have found so far

DSCN2291.jpg

he has 0 miles on all these parts and he just let it sit for 2 years. he threw in a ton of other parts too.

oh and i tried to run the car out of a gas can without touching anything it started up just fine with a little smoke(all cylinders read 150psi while one read only 95)

here's the add he still needs to sell his 73 which has a VERRY nice v8 swap in it and i can attest to the quality of his work

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/123292828.html

so what do you say, do you see a beast in the making?

Hey, if you're going to part them out, i need new frame rails, cross member, and radiator support. And one fender, and doglegs, and rear hatch rust area repair thingamabob... oh heck, i dont know what I got myself into. ;)

Regarding the above, I know how that is. I have 3 saturns in my grandparents driveway. I had 4 before. And my brother owns the fifth.

I was driving my dad's 96... the engine blew up after an injector failed. Then I bought a 91 for 300 bucks with front end damage that ran. Drove it and decided to fix it. Fixed it, then someone gave me a car and so I sold it being the engine wasn't compatible. After a few years, finally found a 97 that worked. Now the 97 is sitting in the driveway, the 96 has a new engine, the 95 needs a new TPS, the 93 needs AC parts that were destroyed on the 97, and the 91 is long gone.

Get rid of the cars. They will consume you slowly and painfully. I have only one Z and I don't think i can get another. I can't see myself buying another rust-free Z to cut up. And I can't see myself buying another Z to replace the one I have, since this one has sentimental value. Yeah, I need to get rid of the saturns to fund the Z cars.

yeah they are z33 wheels.

my plan is to get the 70 ready to sell and after i sell that i will swap over the drivetrain in my 76 and put it in the 72. and then i will get the 76 running again and i will sell that. so eventually i will be back to only one z and i think that is the way to go.

yeah they are z33 wheels.

my plan is to get the 70 ready to sell and after i sell that i will swap over the drivetrain in my 76 and put it in the 72. and then i will get the 76 running again and i will sell that. so eventually i will be back to only one z and i think that is the way to go.

man i've been working 5+ hours for the last week on these and i cant wait for one of these things to hit the road.

the 62' 356B is my dads, he's had that for about 20 years and i can remember working on it with him when i was 5 or so bleeding the brakes. i wouldn't be into cars if it wern't for him

• 4 months later...

You got a hella of a deal there. Just as I was thinking I got a kick A$$ deal on my 280 2+2. Running, complete, almost 0 rust, an extra engine, 5spd. But I need suspension, this things is drives like its on a trampoline. Any one with good OEM there gettin rid of??

-Mario 76 280Z 2+2, L28, 5spd

the plan was to buy a earlyer z so i wouldnt have to smog it because i have a little feeling that i would fail visual. so i was looking on craigslist for a nice car that mabye needs a little work so i could get it for cheap. i would then over the next few months swap over all the stuff i could on my 76 that would fit. then i found it' date=' a 5/70 240z 4400 z ever made that was fairley rust free. it only cost me $1000 which was just the right price for me.

[/quote']

Funny. Mine is #4396.

Guest iskone

Good deals!

How much did you sell the 70' for?

About 2 years ago number 182 was for sale in Oregon for $2000ish I called 1 day too late.

Isk

man i've been working 5+ hours for the last week on these and i cant wait for one of these things to hit the road.

the 62' 356B is my dads' date=' he's had that for about 20 years and i can remember working on it with him when i was 5 or so bleeding the brakes. i wouldn't be into cars if it wern't for him[/quote']

356B is the coupe right? or is it the roadster? either way, those things are hawt...

• 1 year later...

Mine is #1542. Muahaha, I win.

Really though, nice find. I got my '70 for 200 from a friends neighbor. It's got it's problems though.....

For the price, the Z with the suspension mods is a great deal. The mods alone easily make up for the 1000 difference between it and the 1970.