HybridZ

V-8 Distributor-LESS ignition!!!!!! A reality!!!!

• Administrators

Ok guys… How many of you V-8er’s have dreamed about getting rid of that distributor at the back of the engine all together? I know I can’t be the only the V-8 Z guy that has had this thought cross his mind. Wouldn’t it be nice to hook up your timing light and seethe timing pointer actually be STATIONARY, i.e. no spark scatter? No more fly weights and spring tensions to deal with and gum up and stick as they age? No more corrosion build up on the inside of the distributor cap to clean out on a regular basis? DIS is sounding pretty darn nice eh? Remember when electronic ign came about and available for us regular car guys and how much of a benefit it was to us tuning our cars for max output? I personally see DIS as step or three better than what electronic ign was to points! (boy did that sound like a sales pitch or what? Sorry guys. DIS is just plain COOL!!! I, in no way benefit if you go DIS other than to see others move that much further into the electronic age).

We’ve recently been playing around with some of these DIS parts and will hopefully have my first distributor-LESS system up and running in one of my Z’s within the next couple months. My first project is my SOLO-II F-prepared 240 Z powered by one of my mild race flat top L-28’s with Maxima N-47 head. Then my V-8Z project will also get the distributor-LESS ign as well, but not till later in the year, sorry. Even one of our beloved moderators is toying with this exact same system on his SBC V-8 Z… (I’ll let him make himself known if he so chooses to make it public).

Any how, I went down and purchased a complete 6 cylinder AND 8 cylinder distributor-LESS ign system from the wrecking yard. Ign modules, coil packs, crank sensors, and crank wheels, all totaled under $100 for both a 6 cylinder AND an 8 cylinder system. Now there is one more piece to make this system work. You can either have a complete standalone EFI system that controls the DIS, such as Mega Squirt, or an ign only system such as Mega-Jolt control this DIS set up. For those of us guys that are allergic to carbs, the Mega squirt EFI controlling the DIS ign is the way to go. For those die hards that love their carbs, (and there is nothing wrong with that, carbs make AWESOME power when tuned properly), the Mega-jolt system would work for you.

There is a bit of research to do on your part to get this up and running. Myself, as many others feel, getting rid of the distributor is a step forward in the realm of maximum performance potential.

Here is the Mega-Jolt ign only info…

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis.html

Here is the Mega jolt source to purchase a prebuilt or DIY DIS controller..

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/10

Here is the link for those of us that also want MPFI along with our DIS!!! Within the link you’ll find info that directly covers the DIS ign…

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/

The parts are Ford parts. I know, I know…. FORD.. YEUCK!!! I for one am not a Ford fan especially ancillary parts. The only Ford parts I truly appreciate are the small block engines which are EXCELLENT power plants, no matter what anyone else says. Any how, Ford engineers did an AWESOME job designing and building this DIS ign system for 4, 6, and 8 cyl engines. The more I research the Ford DIS and the more I play with it in on my DIS test bench, the more I appreciate the efforts put forth from the Ford engineers. Kudos to Ford on this DIS!

For amore in-depth look at our venture into the DIS set up and the details pertaining to our DIS test bench, read this thread. Lots of good pics as well…

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=14920

For those curious about the progress of our current DIS project and even more tech info...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781

We have gone so afar as to build a test bench to run my EDIS-6 and EDIS-8 systems, (Ford refers to the 6 cyl wasted spark DIS system as EDIS-6 and the 8 cyl system as EDIS-8). The test bench has been invaluable and will help answer many question in the future as well.

Any how, Here are a few pics of our test bench with my EDIS-8 for my V-8-Z sparking away. Ron had the idea of completely cutting off the ground electrodes for a more “photogenic spark display”. I agreed and promptly chucked up each spark plug in the lathe and completely removed any remnants of the ground electrode what so ever, effectively making these cheapo AC plugs “surface gap” plugs. They sure do light up nicely, don’t you think?

This pic is the test bench and the EDIS-8 system sparking all 8 plugs on the left…

EDIS8Medium.jpg

SPARKSMedium.jpg

Yeah, I'm the one "working" on this. Well not really, yet. I have the EDIS-8 parts and a 50 series 36 tooth sprocket I'll try to use as a trigger, but this project is off until the Z gets back from the body shop. I just got the 327 (which I rebuilt recently) back in the car and started today. It's off to the body shop to get the rear-end damage repaired.

I hope to do the EDIS install soon after it gets back.

I HATE distributor weights and springs. I HATE spark scatter.

I WANT programmable vacuum and "mechanical" (rpm-related) advance.

I already run the Megasquirt, and plan to go to MSnS E soon to get the ignition control.

Paul, thanks for all the work you and Ron are doing on this.

Oh, I love the "flux capacitor" you installed there :)