HybridZ

rewiring 240z entirely

CableSrv

Ok guys I could use some help, I'm starting to get tired of the wiring in my 240z as it's falling appart and simply not grounding good. I'd like to rewire the entire car but come short on what exactly do I need.

I was thinking of getting the 21 circuit EZ kit but the question is, is that all I need ? would this replace everything ? if not what parts would it not replace.

Obvisouly the ignition, coil, and distributor would not get replaced but anything else ? is there a computer box ? i'm assuming no but never know if something is hiding somewhere!

Any help you guys can provide would rock :D

Are you talking about getting a kit like THIS ONE except a 21 circut ?

I was thinking on doing the same as you. You don't have any computer stuff in your model. I don't either so I belive it should be fairly easy to install.

I'd make sure though, to get the kits that come with all the bells and whisles. If you buy the basic low buck kit, it don't even come with the ground wire etc. The kit I have linked above comes with everything one should need....

http://www.ezwiring.com/twentyone.htm

I just finished the same installation and am compiling my notes right now so I can post a "how to EZ wire" sticky. its super easy to do and really shouldnt take you more than 18 hours to complete. I kept my stock tail light mini harness and plugs and crimped the new harness into that. I would highly recommend cutting out the male and female ends of the stock harness plugs so that you can cleanly install the new harness and make sections of it easy to remove in the future...should you need to do so.

the key to a successful and clean install is planning I cannot stress that enough, but I'll try... PLANNING...ok there.

there is a sticky already for the Painless Wiring kit that was moderately helpfull in my install, but it still required a good deal of thought on my end to get it all working right.

things you may want to get:

heat shrink tubing, black- Get this at your local hardware store or computer

networking place. if you buy it at home depot or

pep-boys your getting ripped off.

Non-insulated butt-joints- These are great for getting that nice mechanical

in addition to a good solder joint. use the heat

shrink on these.

Test leads, alig. clips- These are so helpful for testing circuits before you

make them permanent.

a nice wire stripper- a must have tool, really speeds things up

another nice crimp tool- Make sure its not going to hurt your hand after

hour and hours of crimping.

ring terminals- you wont need many as the EZ wiring kit comes with a few

and thats really about it, patients, planning, foresight

goodluck! feel free to email me with any questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-21Circuit-wiring-harness-ITS-EZ-AND-PAINLESS_W0QQitemZ4605495077QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that was the kit I was thinking about, for 130+ I thought it was a good deal.

So your saying that with just that and of course the tools needed I could rewire the entire 240z ? aka no old crap left? besides the male/female connectors that is.

next question is.. do you know if that EZ kit comes with all the grounds needed ?

btw I do have a wirestripper, heatshrink tubing, and plenty of solder!! And yea I read the thread about the painless kit and saw your post. My concern wasn't installing it but would that be the only thing I need besides tools. I wasn't sure if our cars had random box's that I have no clue what they do hidden somewhere in my car. Yea i know it's old but there is always the mysterious box out of know where!! or that random extra screw.... or fuse...

Look at all what you get in this kit. Yea, its more bucks, but I really like the seperate harness for most of the circuts.

You can unplug mostly all the bundles from the main harness while doing the job, and plug in each circut as you go... it beats trying to handle the whole 21 circuts worth of wire all at once. This is the same kit as the "This one" link I posted above.

PP18kit.jpg

OH YEA!! I had one more question. Can I swap out the original connectors to weather proof ones ? you know the ones with the rubber seal ? If so do you know a place that sells them ?

http://www.waytekwire.com/

what your looking for is Delphi connectors http://www.waytekwire.com/delphi-connector.htm they are very nice, but pricey. not that thats a really big deal considering you dont really need that many.

as far as grounds go, your going to have to add grounds to a few of the components such as the fuel pump, electric fan, stereo ETC. I personally don't find that to be a big deal, but some people might.

Joel, that kit looks really nice, I do like the fact that each circuit is separate and that you can disconnect them at will...that really is a nice feature. IMHO though, and for my personal projects, I would save that little extra cash and still chose the EX wiring kit. its so simple its almost painful, and diagnosing any problems would be a piece of pie. another thing I just thought of is where do you mount the bulky connector? its nice to have straight wire just in case you want to route your harness somewhere that might have some kind of interference or aesthetic complications.

just a thought :)

That is one sweet wiring kit. I've wired many street rods and 57 Chevys. The only thing I had acess to was the old blue/breen/red/yellow/black wires. Keep in mind, this was quite a few years ago. Many years before the new wire kits were ever thought of. To have worked with one of these new kits would have been a dream.

The simplest way to wire anything is to take it system by system. A good fuse box and relays for everything. It just takes time, but when you are done, you can be proud to say "I did it myself".

Ahh, the days working for FMC wiring up heavy duty cargo loaders for airlines...every wire on those machines were red. When I built the wiring harnesses, we had little sticky numbers we put on each wire end. Now that my friends, was a real pain!

Sparky,

What did you think about the quality of the kit you bought? As I am about to start re-wiring my Z and was looking into one the EZ wiring kits. Did you find any draw backs with the EZ kit? Just trying to collect as much information, befor I make a decision on the kit to buy. Thanks...

Sparky' date='

What did you think about the quality of the kit you bought? As I am about to start re-wiring my Z and was looking into one the EZ wiring kits. Did you find any draw backs with the EZ kit? Just trying to collect as much information, befor I make a decision on the kit to buy. Thanks...[/quote']

I think that if your on a budget, and you have a bit of knowledge concerning automotive wiring, you cant go wrong with the EZ wiring Kit. I would like to have seen a heavier gauge wire used for the headlights along with a relay, as well as a dedicated brake light wire (you have to split the "third brake" wire) other than that I thought it was just about right for me and my project. I suppose that later on when I upgrade the headlights to a higher wattage bulb I will install two relays along with the heavy gauge wire, but considering the price advantage over other kits, im willing to put in a little more work.

Guest SouthGaZX

lol if you want to be able to remove each circuit just buy male and female termianals.. crimp male onto one end of wire... female onto other end.. plug wire in... its only a little larger than the actual size of the wire... oh.. and wire electrical boxes for heatcraft.. we build industrial airconditioners.. the some of the elec boxes prob have as many if not more wires than a 240z lol.. considering some have 12 motors, multiple relays, contactors, and circuit breakers.. if any of you need ne help just mail me... ill try and help.. i've recently rewired my z but did it ghetto style buying small fuse blocks that were available at auto zone.. lol the terminals the fuses plug into are CHEAP.. it works.. im just worried about it eventually melting the terminals... SOOOOOOOOOOOO.. another option is to go to a junkyard and yank a fuse holder from a random donor.. thats if you trust wiring the car by looking at a haynes manual and looking at the back of the fuse holder to see how the circuits are arranged.. such as which fuses are in the same circuit etc... but thats just me.. im all about saving a few bucks..

(kinda a pointless reply.. sorry... maybe it gave a few ppl a few ideas though)

lol if you want to be able to remove each circuit just buy male and female termianals.. crimp male onto one end of wire... female onto other end.. plug wire in... its only a little larger than the actual size of the wire... oh.. and wire electrical boxes for heatcraft.. we build industrial airconditioners.. the some of the elec boxes prob have as many if not more wires than a 240z lol.. considering some have 12 motors' date=' multiple relays, contactors, and circuit breakers.. if any of you need ne help just mail me... ill try and help.. i've recently rewired my z but did it ghetto style buying small fuse blocks that were available at auto zone.. lol the terminals the fuses plug into are CHEAP.. it works.. im just worried about it eventually melting the terminals... SOOOOOOOOOOOO.. another option is to go to a junkyard and yank a fuse holder from a random donor.. thats if you trust wiring the car by looking at a haynes manual and looking at the back of the fuse holder to see how the circuits are arranged.. such as which fuses are in the same circuit etc... but thats just me.. im all about saving a few bucks..

(kinda a pointless reply.. sorry... maybe it gave a few ppl a few ideas though)[/quote']

lol No thanks lol I'll do mine the non ghetto way. lol

Guest SouthGaZX

yeah the stuff from autozone i thought would be better quality.. turned out not so good.. but as far as using another fuse block from another car... people do it alot.. i think its mercades that has the NICE looking fuse block.. maybe BMW.. people have been using them.. i thought about getting one also.

here is a link to what i bought from autozone.. its not really that bad.. just looks cheap i guess... lol cost is cheap also... get what u pay for http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blade-4-Fuse-Block-Hot-Rod-Race-pro-street-rat-custom_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33578QQitemZ8030394467QQrdZ1

also here is a link to a wiring harness w/28 circuit fuse panel.. way overkill... 320 bucks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Centech-Wiring-K-20-BU-Custom-Wiring-Harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34207QQitemZ4588115901QQtcZphoto

Guest strokerZ

We are about 70% finished with the install of the 21 EZ Wiring circuit on the 240z. This kit is very nice and easy to use with well marked wires. I will be posting pics shortly of the install.

hmm.. the more and more i look at the kit i bought and the ez 21 kit... they look different...

it seems I didn't get the ez wiring kit but got the "It's a snap" wiring kit.

http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/new_page_6.htm

comes with gm column connectors which I can assume I'll just take off and use the wires to wire my column correct ? or will this not work at all ?

stroker, does the EZ21 wiring harness have labeled wires? I went to the site and saw that their EZMINI 20 harness is labeled every 5 inches or what not. Is the EZ21 similiar? I just noted that the EZMINI20 is only $130 as compared to the EZ21 being $165. Also they take credit cards correct? Just trying to make sure! Need to get this taken care of soon!