HybridZ

2jz...Z

AdrianZ

So I just put a down payment on a 98 N/A 2jz out of a supra. with 60k miles.

Why you ask?

well i got a deal! $650 for engine, tranny, ecu, and wiring. if the hybrid Z fails i can always put it into my 98 supra.

why am i putting this motor in the Z and not the supra? well emissions in CA for the supra stand so a fat turbo's a pain to deal with. and the 240Z i have is a lot lighters.

I also know a loud about these motors and even already have some parts i need to turbo it.

so do you guys think I'm crazy or can i get a Go for it man?

lastly what will i call it?

One thing to watch out for is you are going to have to get a Turbo head to turbo right? A large majority of the manifolds will not bolt up the NA head. Outside of that I think it would be a cool swap, though I do think it will be a lot of work to convert with all the oil squirters, pistons, head change, manifold change, etc. But thats up to you. I say go for it, there a couple members here who have done it with good success.

Tyson

well with most of the TTs already single and all the IS300s and other 2jz-ge (no turbo) engines out there they have a large support for the N/A head. in fact they have a clubna-t (dot com) just for people turboing N/As.

I'm not sure if i'm going to install the oil squerters but I have a set of Stock TT pistons and rods which have been proven to hold up to high hp. even hitting over 1000hp!

I want to use the vvt-i head because it's not done very often. and I've spent a LOT of time researching this and i think i know how i'm going about it. So i should have the hp of the big boys not that I'm shooting for 1000hp but what i'm really aiming for is torque and spool. I hate these supras with 800hp but only have power after 5,000rpm.

should be fun and it would be great to take down guys with their own motor :)

Okay then, I just starting my research on the supra motors. I know they can handle the HP. Most of what I've read from dealers, forums, and the such is that their exhaust manifolds do not fit the NA head. I'm going to have to check out that website, you seem to know what you're doing. Just thought I'd share my concern about an NA. Have you ever thought about doing a 1.5JZGTE? Using the 1JZ head on top of the 2J block, since the 1JZ head flows better.

Tyson

I've heard of a few people doing this. I've never seen anything to supportthat the 1jz head flows better but i think it's not as strogn and more prone to blow.

as for manifolds they make a few N/A turbo manifolds. I even saw HKS twins on a JDM VVT-I supra before. DaveH has a 9sec (is i'm not msitaken) 1/4 NA-T supra with a HUGE GT4something turbo i think he's stepping up from the GT42.

my friend kirk has a NA-T with 1000cc injectors, AEM, and a SP76

where did you find it so cheap?

someone on supra forums did a full TT motor swap with 6speed and 6speed rear diff. He just wanted it out of his garage. and since I told him I'd take most of what he was selling he let me talk him down :) I still have to go pick it up. and it's a bit of a trip i was thinking about renting a truck and making a road trip of it.

also he has the rear diff and axles for sale. don't think i'd use them but i might.

Oh it is a 4speed auto tranny but they can be built or i can always get something different for it

Yep, the n/a motors are CHEAP!!

You can run the stock longblock with a thicker head gasket to drop compression and still make 500+ rwhp.

Installing the GTE rods and pistons in the n/a motor would be ideal. The oil squirters are not that important. In fact, some theories are that not having them will decrease windage and free up a litle more HP. On the other hand, squirting the oil up under the piston may help with cooling... the jury is still out on that one, except for the 1000RWHP guys.. they use the oil squirters...

The heads are different between the GE and GTE, but there are now many more choices for manifolds for the GE head than there were, say, 5 years ago due to the popularity of the NA-T guys. Thus, the price for aftermarket items has come down as well. The n/a 5-speed ($500-$800) can handle 500 rwhp as well and is significantly less expensive than the Getrag 6-speed unit ($2500-$3000). I prefer a seperate standalone EMS, but the stock TT harness with an AEM or a piggy-back FMU will net good power as well.

Anyway, you should do it!! The power potential is there and I atleast, have not even scratched the tip of the icebrerg, so to speak, on mine :-)

Oh I forgot to mention. the block does not have an oil pan, alternator, or A/C compressor. the A/C compressor I'm not worried about because i took out my whole HVAC system. and i was even looking at a dryslump pan but in the end i may have to make a custom one to fit it into the Z.

The stock USDM rear sump pan fits the Z perfectly. Clearance is not an issue. the steering rod is SUPER close to the driver's side engine mount, but I had my engine mounted ~1/2 inch from the firewall and everything clears fine. I just had to remove the stock latch and use hood pins to hold the hood down (didn't bother me though). My engine was mounted using a cradle welded to the framerails and the stock Supra mounts work perfectly.

Also, I am only using 3 pulleys (crankshaft, alternator and water pump). The alternator is moved to the driver's side and mounted to the former a/c compressor holes and a single small belt (I have the NAPA part # I am using if you are interested) connects the 3 pulleys.