HybridZ

Any lawyers?

240ZR

OK so Sunday night I got pulled over..... I had my registration LOCKED in my gloved box... along with my loaded 9mm I so i told the officer, i didn't have my paperwork with me... but i had my insurance card in my wallet... so i gave him my drivers lic and insurance, he ran my plates, and then come back and asked me all that **** they ask you any weapons, I said no... and 5 mins later he let me on my way... my question is if i had said yes.... would he of had the right to search my car for it? since its locked in the glove box doesn't he need a warrant? or dose me saying yes he has probable cause for a crime being committed or what ever and can bust it open?

240ZR, The 1st question I have is are you 21 years old? (Since he asked you about your gun, I'm assuming the answer is yes and that you may have a permit)

Second question is did you have the concealed weapons permit with you? My guess is that if you had told him you had your weapon with you, he would have wanted to secure the scene for HIS and the PUBLIC's safety. That is exactly what he would have told a judge after you were arrested for not complying with his wishes and for obstructing his duties in investigation with whatever charge was pursueing against you.

Before you or anyone else responds, I'm NOT saying I agree with this tactic. I'm saying that is one of the most likely scenarios to have played out.

If you are legal to carry a loaded weapon, I'd ALWAYS offer it up to the officer. The approach would be to explain that your registration is in the glovebox with your LOADED hand gun that you have a permit for. You simply pull the keys out of the ignition and hand them to him, and then follow his direction on how to handle it.

If you do NOT have a permit, I really don't recommend riding around with a loaded gun in your glove compartment. You will eventually run into some serious poo... Cops will FIND a reason to get a gun off the street. They'll use any reason they can to make themselves feel good...

Mike

Huge difference between California and Florida.

I am interested to hear the answer myself.

The biggest problem I have with gun laws is most times even the cops don't know what is right. Believe me, I have asked and different cops give different answers.

I know in some states, even with a concealed weapons permit, you would have been in violation since the gun wasn't on your person.

Also you don't ever have to agree to let a cop search your car. If he asks and you agree, then you have just given him permission and thereby waived whatever rights you might have had. If they have probable cause (for whatever reason), then they are going to search it anyway. But you don't have to give permission.

Have to wonder why cops ask questions like that. Couldn't have been for his safety since he already had you sitting there while he ran the plates.

You can always claim amnesia.

Well, the crooks never worry about that so why should you?

Never give permission to search your car, especially when you have a gun, let alone 5 or six like I normally have.

Depends on state, cops frame of mind, your attitude, your attitude, your attitude. Be legal, it feels better when you go to bed at night. That's all I can say.

Oh don't get me wrong... I'd NEVER give concent to search. You do that and you're basically forfetting your civil right against search and siezure, and exclussion for fruits of the forbidden tree and all that jazz.

Mike

This is what I was told when I was taking the course to obtain my permit. In California, if you do not have a concealed carry weapons (CCW) permit, under no circumstances can a loaded gun be transported in a vehicle. The gun must be unloaded and secured in the trunk or in the rear of the vehicle. It cannot be within reach of anyone in the vehicle. The glove box does not constituted as a secure area. Also, any ammo or loaded magazines must be stored separate from the gun. It would be best to have a locked container for the gun and separate bag for the ammo and magazines.

I was also told to never volunteer that you have a gun in the vehicle, regardless of whether you have or do not have a permit. However, if the officer asks you whether you have a gun in the vehicle you should always answer truthfully and show your permit if you have one.

California has some of the most stringent set of laws concerning the ownership of handguns and guns in general, including the transportation of them. Furthermore, it is extremely difficult to obtain a CCW permit in California.

1st off... I had my last Car, Car jacked about 2 years ago and that was for my 99 3000GT in downtown LA, I have to drive down there regularly..... I am 22 now... I own the gun legally but i don't have a concealed weapons permit.. they are IMPOSSIABLE TO GET IN Los Angles County...

I have a spotless record... no convictions and no arrests... I got clearance in the army...

.....And I though state law has some provision for carrying a firearm in a vehicle...I mean its secured the same as if i was carrying it in a case in the back of the car... Is the back of a Z really a secure area? ...except in the glove box its locked and the fact its loaded... would it be more kosher if i kept the gun in the glove box and the clip under my seat or in the center console? I can see putting it int he hideaways especial the passenger side one... i could ge the gun pretty easy from there....

I swear to god I am moving to Montana and gonna fab me a shotgun rack for the Z......... Just taking this to an extreme.. but if i mounted the gun to the dash in someway so as it was no longer concealed would it be legal?

Start your learning here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

And yes, if you had told him the loaded gun was locked in the glove box or if he suspected and searched, you would have violated California's Concealed Weapons laws. Weapons transported in a vehicle in the state must be unloaded and locked in a box (the glove box is specifically exempted from the definition of a "locked box".)

If this was a first time weapons offense the officer has the option of treating it as a misdemeanor with a fine of $200. Otherwise, felony, jail time, and your right to keep and bear arms would have been lost for the rest of your life in California and all other states due to reciprocity.

For more information check here: http://www.packing.org. It is very, very difficult to get a CCW in California and typically costs $500 and takes 6 months. You also have to "know" someone reputable as a reference who is also known by the county sheriff. Even then, the CCW is only legal in the county where issued.

Take the gun out of your car and put it in the house. You are jeapordizing your plans on joining the military and the rest of your future.

but if i mounted the gun to the dash in someway so as it was no longer concealed would it be legal?

With a few exceptions (security guards, couriers, etc.), you can only openly carry a weapon when actively hunting or in a county with a total populaiton of less then 200,000 people.

Damn John, good link. Wish I would have had that when I lived in CA.

Although I didn't see anything in there about a "locked box". Hard to drive to the gun range in a Z with a range bag and not have both the ammo and gun within immediate reach.

But I did learn you can carry a loaded pistol in your car if you live in the car. Or are camping. Or if you are a zookeeper.

Not to get political, but is actually quite easy to get a concealed weapons permit in LA. All you need to do is be a movie star and meet the Culver City chief of police at a party. Every now and then the LA times publishes the concealed weapons list and it was 90% Hollywood types. Joey Bishop can carry a gun, but someone running a check cashing buisness in south central can't.

This gets into something each and everyone of you who own a gun should think seriously about. LEARN the LAWs as a law abiding citizen before you BREAK them.

240ZR, your previous issue being hijacked means nothing to a police officer who has you stopped on the side of the road while investigating the possible issuance of citation for traffic or other offense.

You technically broke the law and could have (And likely would have) been arrested for possession of a loaded concealed handgun. Read the links John sent you... As usual, John provided excellent data for you to educate yourself.

I believe you've got big plans in your near future, so don't do something like this to deraille them. Hell of a risk you're taking there. And honestly, If you get car jacked again, I bet dollars to donuts you will NOT get that gun out of a locked glove box before they grab the car you're driving.

AND here's another twist. What happens if the car is STOLLEN with that gun in the glove box? Now you're in serious doo doo... Think before you act. And educate yourself to know you're thinking within the parameters of the law. And I don't care how tough it is to get a CCP. Keep applying. Eventually, you'll get one if you meet all the criteria.

Mike

Have you seen those gun safes that're meant to be mounted to the underside of a desk? Heh, I wonder if mounting one of those in the car would be considered a secure locked location. Either way, if the gun is in a locked glove box, it still wouldn't be readily accessible in an emergency. Just keep a knife tucked by your seatbelt buckle so you can slip it in your hand when you unbuckle your belt to get out.

Have you seen those gun safes that're meant to be mounted to the underside of a desk? Heh, I wonder if mounting one of those in the car would be considered a secure locked location. Either way, if the gun is in a locked glove box, it still wouldn't be readily accessible in an emergency. Just keep a knife tucked by your seatbelt buckle so you can slip it in your hand when you unbuckle your belt to get out.

That is still concidered a concealed weapon and can get you thrown in jail just as quickly. When I was in the federal police acadamy (many moons ago), the rule was inches of the blade dictated if it was a pocket knife and legal to conceal or if it was an illegal conealed weapon. Hiding it conceals it and an officer will draw his weapon on you just as quickly for having a knife as having a gun.

Oh, and that length of blade issue is different state to state as well... Ain't law fun? Confused yet? I am! :lmao:

Mike

Ok, that settles it, CA is out of the states to move to for whatever reason. Here in NM your car is considered an extension of your home and you can carry a loaded concealed weapon as far as I know. The law here is that if you are on your property you can carry concealed without a permit. Permit required elsewhere. We do have and anyone can get CCW permits. Several police officer friends are CCW certified instructors here in my town. I carry one most all of the time. If it isn't loaded, it isn't any good for any emergency purposes, well, sort of, depends on the crook, but thank god I've never had to experience that.

Now all we need is a new private dragstrip.