HybridZ

280ZX ---> S13 front/M30 rear?

Ive got a 1980 280ZX and I am looking into doing some suspension swapping on it, just thought Id get a general concensus on the whole thing before I jump head long into this....

Ive been doing some research on various coilover set-ups for 280ZX's (which there are NONE) and I was led to the Infinti M30. it has an almost exact copy of the rear suspension on the 280ZX. the major differences being the CV axel flange on the hubs and the wheel offset. anyway, the M30 has an almost carbon copy front suspension from the Z31 300ZX. the Z31 shares a LOT in common with the 280ZX, front suspension wise (or at least it LOOKS a helluva lot like it) and i know he Z31 is almost the exact same as the S12 (1984 to 1988 200SX), and people have put the SE V6 SX front struts on 280ZX's to get the big brakes.

anyway, Im thinking M30 rear control arms with a J30 VLSD stuffed into the M30 long nose 4 pinion R200 (another thread) along with M30/j30 hybrid CV axles and then snagging the entire front suspension (lower control arms, TC rods, hubs, struts) from an S13. then Id have a +25MM offset all the way around (allowing my MSW 15x7 +15 meshies NOT to rub) with the option of using S13 coilovers in the near future because M30 guys run this all teh time, only takes VERY minor modification to run S13 coilovers front and back. ....... BTW, a used set of Teins for S13s with 16 way adjustables can be had for anywhere from $600 to $900, with EVERYTHING.

ALSO, a popular brake upgrade in the S13 crowd is J30 calipers (4 pot) with altima discs (11", vented) so, Id be able to BOLT that on as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh I'm looking at S13-15 front suspension for Project S130. Like the idea that the strut just bolts to the lower part, gives a couple of options.

As for the rear, believe that the Z31 rear end was an improvement but I'm not really interested in any semi trailing arm suspension.

Guest Jason84NA-T

Yes, the Z31 rear end geometry is slightly better than the 280 stock for stock, and the M30 is like a revised version of the Z31 STA setup. I have an 88 suspension in my 84 with S13 coilovers. I don't see why you could not do something similar on the 280zx.

so, the M30 is closer to the 300ZX than it is to the 280ZX? I have seen M30 and S130 in the yard, side by side with the rear tires off and the cars on rims, and they looked like a carbon copy. maybe its because the 300ZX has the seperate coil/shock and the 280ZX/M30 has teh strut in the back that makes it look soooo similar?

Ive heard rumors that 300ZX and 280ZX rear control arms are interchangeable, is that true?

sorry, NZeder, the M30 is an infiniti stateside. I think you kiwis would know it better as a nissan Leopard. cant remember the chassis code, but I think its F31.

for the price of the rears, i can get a whole set of used tein S13 coilovers.

yeah, thats $1300 for acoilover set-up. about what Teins top of the line goes for. I realize it would be bolt on and all, but then you'd still be lacking the big brakes. plus, you can get decent S13 set-ups (coilovers) for like, $800 new on Ebay.

I still think Im going to go ahead with this hybridization of suspension parts. should be a fun project if nothing else!

Looks like a S14 front Xmember with the lot will be going under the front of Project S130.

If it works out OK, don't know of anyone who has done it before, I'll end up with power steering and a brake setup that allows a lot of big options. And maybe a double wishbone suspension.

Those Skyline rearends look completely custom fabricated. For that matter, you might as well put in a 300ZX TT rear steering suspension.

We are looking for something semi bolt-in, right? I've got an '88 300ZX full suspension because at one time I was considering a 5-lug swap. I didn't think the whole rear would swap over, but maybe I'll look into that again.

Im pretty sure the S14 is not a double wishbone suspension, at least not up front. only in the rear. It will allow a ton of brake options tho.

Yeh, the S14 front is strut, rear is multi link. Going to look at converting the S14 front to a double wishbone though.

you might want to search fopr R33 front suspension stuff. the R33 and S14 have a lot in common, crossmember wise, and the R33 uyses a wishbone type set-up similar to the 300ZX Z32s.

BleachZee>>>>> I talked to a guy at length that was into triling arm swapping. he had a 510 with a pretty built VG30ET. from what I remember, he had 300ZX, M30 and 280ZX trailing arms laying about. said they would all bolt into a 510. so, i would assume they are all semi-interchangeable. 5 lug would be nice. If I could use Z31 rear arms and get 240SX fronts, I think Id be in business. buuuuuuut..... I just picked up some MSW black mesh wheels last year, and they are 4 lug and OOOOOOooohhhh so sweet. cant give them up just yet.

Looked at the Nissan upper link front suspension like on the Z32. Came close to giving it a go but calculating where the inner link mount would be located was a potential problem that I could not see a solution to. Someone else may be able to do it, on the Z32 it mounts on to the inner guard.

• 2 weeks later...
BleachZee>>>>> I talked to a guy at length that was into triling arm swapping. he had a 510 with a pretty built VG30ET. from what I remember, he had 300ZX, M30 and 280ZX trailing arms laying about. said they would all bolt into a 510. so, i would assume they are all semi-interchangeable. 5 lug would be nice. If I could use Z31 rear arms and get 240SX fronts, I think Id be in business. buuuuuuut..... I just picked up some MSW black mesh wheels last year, and they are 4 lug and OOOOOOooohhhh so sweet. cant give them up just yet.

I don't know why I didn't notice before but you can't swap the entire Z31 trailing a-arm into the S130 (280ZX). The Z31 uses separate shock and springs, like a 510. The 280ZX shock/strut is inside the spring. The mounting points inside the fender are completely different.

so.... the 280ZX arm and strut must be reused.

• 2 months later...

In my case the rear Z31 swap into a 280ZX would be to have the 5-lug and disc brake upgrade all bolt-in. But as you can see here, the strut sets back too far. Even if I swapped over to coilovers it would not line up with the 280ZX strut insert. The Z31 has two positions where the 280ZX has one inbetween these two.

reardone.jpg

but that is a good idea, and might work well on fabbing up coilovers on a 280ZX. Still, the price is about the same as having it done by Modern Motorsports. (I think)