HybridZ

280zx drift car?

Guest zeh ex

L28ET in the S13 is a clean fit and looks stock, well mine does and I've been told this by many Datsun/Nissan owners. The only challenge was/is getting time to sort the front swaybar issue (it and a small part of the front sump want to share the same space). When doing this swap you get a newer/wider chassis and the parts are everywhere for the S13's, not to mention cheap... Is it a good drift setup? I would think so but I can't say for sure yet.

I used to drift my Z unwillingly quite often. Do I like to drift or go drifting for kicks, that would be a NO.

Have I seen or know of guys drifting Z's and ZX's, oooh he11 yeah!!

Are the KA's good motors in my op. I would say they have problems I know how to fix but most are dead before I can find them in the yards so this makes them not worth messing with. Besides I don't like the lower torque #'s compared to the L motor.

There's always the 2JZ option or if you want to stick with Nissan and still be able to get parts you can us a VQ with a turbo setup.

Now that I've done the expencive L motor build I will be doing all I can for a little $$$ as possible in the future. It takes a little $$ but not loads like I put out before if you shop around and keep your mind open, keep that in mind when making power.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I might try that, but can't seem to find just the bell housing. I was just planning to measure everything on the l28 (engine and trans) to get the proper distences and clearences with everything and mod the bell housing to match. I know the l28 and KA flywheels are interchangable (if not the same).

I wish you luck....so there are no 4x4 nissan pickups with 4cyl. up your way?

Bellhousing is the same, just the part aft of the bearing carrier is different.....bolts to the transfer case...but you only need the front part...:)

atx s130, your tring for the nopi series.. me too

i made the formula d pro am cut but dident have the ways and means to get from ohio to laughlin nevada, 40 hours each eay.. so im doing nopi and idc "international drift championship" you outta check them out www.idcracing.com looks like a cool series.

good to see other z drivers trying to take it to the high dollar teams...

good luck maybe ill see you around this season

derrick

usdrift midwest / outbrake motorsports

www.outbrakemotorsports.com

It definately changed the way you precive angle changes. The closer you are to the rear wheels the more exaggerated the angel changes feel.

A longer wheelbase will make it more predictable, but you'll also loose tossability. A short wheelbase, though hard to maintain a drift with, can be iniated very easily.

ALL drifting comes down to prefference. You can drift a bone stock 280ZX, though it's feel won't be very preferrable to anyone. All these drift threads kinda tick me off, because it always looks as though so many people don't really understand anything about drifting (and it's usually the people asking questions).

Drifting isn't about having that perfect setup. Drifting isn't about having the perfect car. It's about having the right car/feel to suite your style. The better you are the more versetile you'll be and be able to drive a large variety of cars. And the better you get the more you'll know with regards to how you want your car to feel.

I say just change the bushings, maybe buy some stiffer rear springs to reduce the squat, then go out there and get time under your belt.

The KA24DET motor would be a bad choice imo. The motor never came with a turbo, and it's not a super low copression motor anyways. So you're either going with low boost or you're rebuilding the motor. You might as well just go with a SR20 since a KA24DET would be illegal anyways. There's mount kits readily availble for the SR20 wich would make the whole process a lot easier. And personaly, I wich my stock L28ET had the stock power of the SR20 (though I should be able to get mine up to 300hp easily enough once I've got the money).

There's a lot of motor options out there, and you don't need a ton of power for drifting. Sure the pro cars have huge HP, but that's because they're pro, what else do you expect? They're going for those huge white clouds while they get sideways because that helps them win.

I would have to dissagree with you.... i had a 240sx before i got my 83 and it had a ♥♥♥♥ load more mods then my z and i can slide the z way easier.... i did my own little set up, little chassis stiffning... and i can slide it all over the place and know when im about to spin out and its all clutch and throttle control why? cuz my e-brake doesnt work, and my brakes over heat and get super bad brake fade... so yea.... it is alot about the driver but set up does have alot to do with it ive been practicin gymkana and thats all set up 2.... but what im tryin to say is that if you gave a pro d1 driver 1 super drift car lol or a stock s13 he can do the same things? I have to say i really beg to differ...

And again, I really disagree. I've seen guys drift bone stock AE86's which have no power. I've also seen guys drift stock S13's. There's tons of driver ability in it, just like racing.

Many people don't appreciate a good race driver till they realise how insanely fast and consistent they can be with even a terrible vehicle.

But I can see why your Z would be easier to drift with. But that still doesn't make the S13 bad man. There's enough people out there that can prove otherwise to that.

Another thing to consider is that your stock Z has more torque in lower RPM than your S13 would ever have. But again, people drift the AE86 just fine with less than 80hp and they're not super light cars.

my words,

anything will drift, you just have to work a bit hard in certin cars.

i started drifting a ae86 with cut springs and 140wt gear oil in the struts almost 12 years ago, and i found that the inputs will always be the same, but every car has its quirks. power or none its more driver than car, but a good car helps be more competitive.

also some cars, like the ae86 show even the slightest mistake in driver input, where powerful car like the s13 can hide your mistakes, and keep speed up, and allow you to modulate throttle more. its all different technics you have to pick up with every car you change too

ive drifted 86's ,skylines, rx7's , z's , supras, and lots more i cant think of, but i enjoy the ae86 the most, it actually feels right, you put in good driver inputs and you get good output.

the z however i have only logged 2 drift events in it, and changed a bunch of stuff over the winter, but last season it was a slide happy maniac, like drifting on need for speed carbon, exactly to the tee. but with the 4.36 gear it made me have to be on and off the throttle too much, the bov was going psssssst every second, i swapped to a 280zx turbo ring and pinion, 3.60 i belive, and got bigger wheels, so i can actually put some power to the ground this season... but the z does definetly exaggerate the angle, first time i drifted it i thought i was getting really sideways, but i wasnt as far out as i thought after i saw some video..

• 5 weeks later...
Yeah sorry for the mispellings I was in a rush (teacher doesnt like it when your on the internet!). I found this site that has 280zx fiberglass body panels think they are worth the money? And as for the L28ET option well I never found one. And I never found a coilover kit for my car I just ordered the Tokico springs from MSA and will buy the non adjustable Tokico shocks son after. For Strut bars should I go with the MSA ones? Heres the fiberglass site check it out...

www.showcars-bodypart.com/280zx.html

Actually Modern Motorsports sells rear coil overs for the 280ZX.

• 1 year later...

I would love to drift mine but I'm not too sure how easily I would be able to drift with an automatic. lol. I was driving it home the other day and took a pretty sharp corner and gave it some gas and it felt like it wanted to go but I didn't give it enough gas and even then I don't think I would have worked. Needs more torque. Plan on doing a manual trans swap and a turbo motor swap with a better turbo and an intercooler someday when I have the money. Can't wait to see the vids.

Would it easier to drift a 2+2 or harder?

It is entirely possible to drift a 280zx. They have good weight balance, front engine, rear wheel drive, good suspension set up etc... If you're worried about an open diff you can swap an 87-89 Z31-T R200 into your car (factory LSD). Or if you're poor, weld the diff. As for the weight, mine is about 2600-2800 lbs.

I would love to drift mine but I'm not too sure how easily I would be able to drift with an automatic. lol. I was driving it home the other day and took a pretty sharp corner and gave it some gas and it felt like it wanted to go but I didn't give it enough gas and even then I don't think I would have worked. Needs more torque. Plan on doing a manual trans swap and a turbo motor swap with a better turbo and an intercooler someday when I have the money. Can't wait to see the vids.

Would it easier to drift a 2+2 or harder?

It would be harder to initiate, but easier to control, once you get it sliding.

idk if autos in a z has an overdrive gear, but if it does, it can be a PITA when your trying to initiate, but the longer wheel base fixes that a bit.