HybridZ

280zx drift car?

Guest zeh ex

Ive always wanted a 240sx but ended up with a 280zx. I was wondering if I could build it as a drift car? I gave up on power cuz the car is too dam heavy to bother with anyway. Does anyone here drift with their 280zx? If so wat are the best tire size to run? I have ordered the 15x7 rewinds and planning to put 225 yokohoma EVSs and the tokico springs. Is this good?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 280ZX doesnt weigh that much more than a 240SX. its a common myth. My 280ZX 2 + 2 with power steering, windows, tools, spare tire, spare head (junkyard trip) and me in it (180LBS) wieghed in at 2960. take me out of it, take the head out of it (50lbs) and the tools (30lbs) and the wieght of the car is about 2700lbs. then start taking the spare tire, jack, power steering pump, add a header instead of the cast exhaust manifold and a few other things, and it doesnt weigh that much at all. and this is the 4 seater i have!!! I kow of ONE guy that got his 240SX down to like, 2450, with out him in it. If you had a 280ZX 2 seater and stripped EVERYTHING like he did, you could probably do it too.

280ZX's done make good drift cars because the rear suspension isnt set up for that kind of abuse. how many BMW drift cars do you see? not that many, same rear suspension design. rear trailing arm.

EDIT: why is this in the 4 cylinder forum?

Guest bastaad525

Um that's REALLY odd. I've seen people with stripped or gutted 280zx's (not 2+2's) get down into 2600-2800 lbs range, but I know my '81 ZX with full interior (also not 2+2) came in a shade over 3000lbs. I think it was 3060 but I'm not sure it was like 8-9 years ago. It had power everything and the spare in it, not sure how much gas.

I also know of several people who've had early 240sx's that were in the 2500lb range. A friend of mine with a '91 SX hatch back, with some moderate mods on a the stock KA engine, just recently went down and had his weighed on my suggestion at the equipment rental place I use, and his was in the low 2500 range. Full interior and spare.

I dunno, it was a scale that was certified at a scrap metal yard. it weighed to the nearest 20lbs. 280ZX's weigh about the same and sometimes less than their 280Z counterparts. I wonder how much I could get mine down to by removing the air con, heavy bumpers and maybe a fibre glass hood. Mine is also a slick top, no T's here. that probably makes a bit of a difference.

the only 240SX's Ive seen in the 2500lbs range were strippers with power nothing, and most were coupes. the hatches tend to weigh a bit more, like I think 70lbs.

EDIT: just searched zhome.com for 280ZX specs. LISTED curb weight of 2825 on most models. they ran a turbo car thru the 1/4, and if you input a weight of 2825 and their results (15.3 and 89mph) into a 1/4 mile HP calculator, it spits out about 155hp. if you put in 3000lbs for weight (car + driver) it spits out 166hp. we know stock turbo cars lay down about 150 or there abouts HP.

also, they had a 79 280ZX with a listed curb weight of 2970lbs, and they got 17.0 and 82mph, plug all that in and it spits out 119HP (time) and 125hp (speed), that falls RIGHT in line with most stock L28E dynos. put in 3140 (car + driver again) and it spits out 126 (time) and 140 (speed). aint no way an L28E stock is making 140 to the ground. save for Tony D's. thats another story.

Guest bastaad525

well it's kinda accepted there seems to be a lot of variance between years as well.

If someone asks me "how much does a 280zx weigh" I always say between 2800-3100lbs". There were some year and trim variants that were into the 2800's and as you said, there were actually some of the last of the 280z's that were HEAVIER than some of the 280zx's.

The place I weigh at is an industrial equipment rental place, they do certification and have to get their scale calibrated once a week or a month I forget but it's often.

but a 2+2 fully optioned coming in at 2700 strikes me as very odd and not at all what I would expect.

I know someone else here maybe a year ago took a 280zx down to the track, had it pretty stripped, and was at mid-high 2600lbs just the car no driver.

Ok so dont bother to build a drift car out of the zx? Dam I would prefer a 240sx but all of them are in horrible condition and the ones that arent are automatic, I want to drift my 280zx cuz I gave up on making it fast cause as we all know theyre dam heavy. Oh and where can I get a fiberglass or CF hood? I plan to remove the bumpers on my zx and get the MSA bumper front air dam piece. Also I posted on the I4 forums cuz I want to know if anyone is running a KA24DE-T on any of their Zs. My friend suggested the idea and I was wondering if its worth the time, work and money.

silvias are done to death. i drift my 85 300zx all the time and the suspension holds up just fine. plus you can adapt differet suspensions to the car if you are really concerned about it. weight is not a real issue in the drift, its the weight transfer and your ability to control it. plus you could strip a 280 down enough to free up alot of weight. remember carbon fiber is your best friend :)

i would suggest working on it as a drift car to be different from the rest of the guys getting 240's. just because you have a silvia does nto mean you can drift. if you can drift the 280 you are already a step ahead of a guy with a 240

Ok thnx for the response but as usual ( I dont know if its cuz im a newb?) but i never get any answers and my posts just start unrelate conversations! 1) WHERE DO I GET FIBERGLASS OR CARBON FIBER PARTS FOR MY 280ZX? DONT TELL ME TO SEARCH CUZ I HAVE AND FOUND NOTHING! 2) ANYONE EVER PUT A KA24DET IN ANY Z? IM CONSIDERING CUZ ITS A CHEAP AND RELIABLE ENGINE. thank you

Ok thnx for the response but as usual ( I dont know if its cuz im a newb?) but i never get any answers and my posts just start unrelate conversations! 1) WHERE DO I GET FIBERGLASS OR CARBON FIBER PARTS FOR MY 280ZX? DONT TELL ME TO SEARCH CUZ I HAVE AND FOUND NOTHING! 2) ANYONE EVER PUT A KA24DET IN ANY Z? IM CONSIDERING CUZ ITS A CHEAP AND RELIABLE ENGINE. thank you

Your not getting the answers you want because your posting several questions about many things in the wrong forums. I'll see if I can help you anyway.

1. Motorsport Auto, Arizona Z, Good luck

2. In a Z yes. I've never seen one in a ZX but, that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I'm sure it could.

Don't over look the Turbo L28et it can be made to be very relieble at high HP levels with the right engine management systems. Don't worry about the weight. Make the power and it won't matter.

a 280ZX doesnt weigh that much more than a 240SX. its a common myth. My 280ZX 2 + 2 with power steering' date=' windows, tools, spare tire, spare head (junkyard trip) and me in it (180LBS) wieghed in at 2960. take me out of it, take the head out of it (50lbs) and the tools (30lbs) and the wieght of the car is about 2700lbs. then start taking the spare tire, jack, power steering pump, add a header instead of the cast exhaust manifold and a few other things, and it doesnt weigh that much at all. and this is the 4 seater i have!!! I kow of ONE guy that got his 240SX down to like, 2450, with out him in it. If you had a 280ZX 2 seater and stripped EVERYTHING like he did, you could probably do it too.

280ZX's done make good drift cars because the rear suspension isnt set up for that kind of abuse. how many BMW drift cars do you see? not that many, same rear suspension design. rear trailing arm.

EDIT: why is this in the 4 cylinder forum?[/quote']

Actually I disagree In Europe the e30 is THE car fro drifting (mainly availability as 2.2 miloin units where produced i take )

Round-2-NL-driftseries-3.jpg

driftseries on zandvoort in what is now called the audi s bocht but used to be the nissan bocht

a touring haha

Warneton-9.jpg

Warneton-5.jpg

A 5 series ( all have trailing arms like the ZX!)

Actually e30’s rule in the amateur Dutch series.. cheap rear wheel drive, plenty of parts.. and actually a good concept like a z car ( interchangeable parts etc etc, aftermarket is HUGE in holland)

However who says ZX’s don’t drift well? All i have done is thicker swaybars, some new bushings, and strut tower bars ... and this is all motor!

IMG_9746.jpg

And I am sure a 2 seater zx is the same weight a z done up with a r200 turbo engine T5 etc etc… my 240sx coupe (us spec) was heavier than my Euro spec ZX 2+2!!

Guest bastaad525

And I am sure a 2 seater zx is the same weight a z done up with a r200 turbo engine T5 etc etc… my 240sx coupe (us spec) was heavier than my Euro spec ZX 2+2!!

um, my '72 240z with '81 turbo engine, 5 speed trans, 3.9 diff, medium sized intercooler and stainless steel piping, etc. etc., weighed 2350 lbs with spare tire and half a tank of gas.

Not quiiiiiiite as heavy as what my 280zx non turbo weighed :mrgreen:

um' date=' my '72 240z with '81 turbo engine, 5 speed trans, 3.9 diff, medium sized intercooler and stainless steel piping, etc. etc., weighed 2350 lbs with spare tire and half a tank of gas.

Not quiiiiiiite as heavy as what my 280zx non turbo weighed :mrgreen:[/quote']

Agreed, however most people have late 240/60’and even 80’s anyhow my eurospec coupe weighs proven 2469,21 pounds Stock half tank of gas and all parts in there ( tire jack etc!), My eurospec 2+2 weighs ( that yellow car! ) 2658,64 pounds, with jack and spare.

My 83 Coupe turbo T-TOP AT Usspec ( loaded ) with spares and **** packed in. ¼ tank of gas.. weighed in at 2866,00 pounds!!

So yes a very early 240 is lighter… but would therefore not be best suited for track use ( flex) or you would have to ad a cage… bottom line is, s130 are not heavy boats that they are stated to be.

I will be nice and say this before anyone else does, this is a forum, not a chat room. Please use real words and spell them correctly, dude.

Guest bastaad525

for what it's worth my 240z BEFORE the turbo conversion with just a 2.8L naturally aspirated motor and SU carbs, also weighed with about 1/2 tank of gas and spare, weighed 2320 lbs... the turbo conversion including the intercooler and stainless piping only added about 30 lbs, which REALLY amazed me.