HybridZ

280zx drift car?

Guest zeh ex

AK-Z, isn't the point of using the KA trans because it will hold up to more abuse than the L-series tranny? Around here, junkyard transmissions are like $49.99 plus like a $10 core if you pull them yourself. I would think that waiting for next weeks paycheck would save you a lot more hassle than trying to get your tranny you've already got to work? Just a thought, I don't know what pricing is like in your area, so maybe that's not applicable anyway...

*edit* here is an interesting link for you guys:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115464&highlight=ka+tranny+swap

and

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98875&highlight=ka+tranny+swap

I knew I'd read threads about this swap...I used "KA tranny swap" in the search to find these, among others.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AK-Z, isn't the point of using the KA trans because it will hold up to more abuse than the L-series tranny? Around here, junkyard transmissions are like $49.99 plus like a $10 core if you pull them yourself. I would think that waiting for next weeks paycheck would save you a lot more hassle than trying to get your tranny you've already got to work? Just a thought, I don't know what pricing is like in your area, so maybe that's not applicable anyway...

*edit* here is an interesting link for you guys:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115464&highlight=ka+tranny+swap

and

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98875&highlight=ka+tranny+swap

I knew I'd read threads about this swap...I used "KA tranny swap" in the search to find these, among others.

Its not the price of the unit. its finding one and shipping it up here. There are no junkyards up here selling 240sx parts. Now think how much it will cost to ship a unit to alaska. way more than how much I paid for both of my cars.

Its not the price of the unit. its finding one and shipping it up here. There are no junkyards up here selling 240sx parts. Now think how much it will cost to ship a unit to alaska. way more than how much I paid for both of my cars.

Once I saw you were in Alaska, I thought it might be something like that. I wasn't meaning to criticize, just throwing it out there. good luck with your project, anyway.

Not a prob. I stated all this before (but in another thread, haha).

Oh and another thing, the S14 weighed about 2800 lbs. and the S13 2700 lbs. which is quite close to the 280ZX.

As stated from here http://www.project-mayhem04.com/Tech%20Main.html

You can drift a 280zx, its just you have to be rough with it and throw it into a slide.

My whole opinion on the whole drift thing is; Its just one way of getting around a corner, doesn't mean you have to do it all the time. You waste too much of everthing doing it, time, gas, ware, and rubber.

Let me put it this way: Just knowing how to drift isn't going to get you far in motorsports, you (not directed at anyone) should know how to "drive" first, drifting is a good skill to add to ones arenal though :D.

drifting is all about fun, i think thats where alot of the older generation have problems with it, since racing is about times, and winning and drifting is a sport of its own.

i enjoy autox and track days also, i own race tires, i know the proper way around a corner, but i really get hard about drifting, the whole sliding sideways a few inches from a barrier wall next to another car really does it for me... its more of an extreme motorsport, drifting is the rock and roll motorsport. its kinda like golf vs hockey theres a different skill involved in both.

IMHO the most significant diff between the L and KA FS5W31 trannies was the input shaft bearing, so if you can find a KA bell, then put it and the input shaft bearing on your L trans and you now have a KA trans?

Thanks. I might try that, but can't seem to find just the bell housing. I was just planning to measure everything on the l28 (engine and trans) to get the proper distences and clearences with everything and mod the bell housing to match. I know the l28 and KA flywheels are interchangable (if not the same).

• 2 weeks later...
so i can put an L bell housing on a ka trans and install a l28 into a s13? well with mods to make the engine go in.. but this should work?

hmm. interessting concept. but its been done before in japan with a L28TT IIRC. making like over 800hp. Saw a vid a while ago. It was a drag car though.

so i can put an L bell housing on a ka trans and install a l28 into a s13? well with mods to make the engine go in.. but this should work?

Well, you'll need to bore and counter bore the L28 Bellhousing so it will fit the KA trans main bearing. Estimates say it's about $100 for the machine work on the bellhousing. Otherwise, yes it will fit.

• 2 weeks later...

i drift my 280zx all the time its fine but you gotta actually be an expiranced drifter to do it. first off you have to always have enough momentem to throw the weight to the back then inertia drift work best but if you have an lsd you can ove inertia and powerover to get very nice drifts ill post some vid one i finish compressing it

I agree with you that it takes skill, but I find it funny that people equate "hard to do" with "must be skillled to do". In my opinion these are the types of cars that people should learn how to drift in. This is why the AE86 makes a great first drift car, becuase it's not as easy as people think. It takes lots of momentum and controlling the excess speed and maintaining as much of that energy as possible, since your engine won't be saving your butt at all on the exit.

Oh yea, and i'm looking forward to the vid man :rockon:

vid should be up soon im makeing and compressing a compeleation problem is most of my footage has other ppl in it. im leaving in a few of my buddy in his first gen mr2 and my other friend in his hatchi. also i might wait to get my footage in two weeks im going to nopi for d q(drift quailifing) so i can compete this year ill see how that goes and post a vid of that too