HybridZ

Anyone considered dropping an SRT-4 engine in a Z? Mates up with a Jeep RWD trans!

Guest bastaad525

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be way off here but could you adapt a tranny from a GM or Ford using one of the plates from KEP I think I read once that they will adapt any engine to any tranny. Worth a call, at least they may know of someone.

Isk

• 5 months later...

ppl just hate DSM's.. because you can make them super fast for super cheap, and plus there hard to beat on the street... can never tell if a dsm is just lightly modded or full tilt race car.

god i love dsm's!!!

I do, too. If Nissan or Toyota had built the Zero we would still be fighting WWII (kidding)

No, I'm not talking about the looks, the miata has that....I'm talking about the british reliability.

Everyone, and I mean everyone I've ever known that had an eclipse has had to have me pick them up, help them fix the eclipse, and when they REALLY blew it up, I lent them my Z, which never let ANYONE sit.

But they ARE fast.

1st Gen DSM's, atleast the 6/4 combo ('92) dont have any real crank walk issues. As a matter of fact, havng been involved with them for years, Ive never seen one die for that reason, ever. Its just something poeple perpetuate 'cause they heard it from someone else.

as to the thread, the more options for the Z, the better. The issues I see though are the transmission being able to handle the power and the cost of the parts start to get prohibitive. You mentioned 3000$ + 1500$ for the motor/tranny, 4500$ will put an L28et in the car and well along its way to kicking serious ass, or go a long way to getting V8 destruction.

I like the idea, its different, but I dont see it as an option thats any better than the other options available just yet. Down the road if the price for SRT motors drops some it may start to look alot better.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bastaad525

best point by far... I guess as far as cost effectiveness goes... not really a whole lot of reason to look into doing this swap.

But again, the same could be said of just about every swap out there for the Z except the SBC 350 and L28ET swaps :D

Never seems to stop anyone :twisted:

But no... I wouldn't do it, come to think of it. Even out of the non-cost effective swap options, there are others I feel are more bang for the buck, like SR20DET.

SRT-4 engine IS a sweet engine though... after one year I'm still loving this car except for a few scares about Dodge quality, but performance wise I still can't believe how quick it is for what I paid for it.

The Fairlady Roadster was a 4 cylinder wasnt it? I know my base model Fairlady Z came with the L20, but its still a 6. Anyone wanna buy it? =/

My meaning about cost effectiveness wasnt expressed as well as it should have been. Indeed an L28 and SBC are the 'cheapest' choices but the LSx swaps have the advantages of being very new technology and very very bad-ass when you start looking for serious power. The SBC certainly puts down some violent numbers but lacks the refinement of the LS swaps.

Now, again, I'm all for the swap, I just dont see anyone/many doing it because it doesnt offer anything another swap doesnt offer for considerably less. The SR20 swap is a turbo 4 that is proven to be one bad-ass little motor and the cost (I will admit to not having researched this much) will end up a little less steep.

That said, down the road some if the SRT motor prices start to come down it could start looking like a very cool option. Whats the deal with the SRT motor in Dodge thingy. What the hell is it called.. Caliber or whatever. Isnt it based on the SRT-4 in the Neon? Wonder how it would work out...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...