HybridZ

Talkin the talk... q45 r230 r200 z30 & so on & so on

HarrisonTX

Here we go.

hybridz is full of awesome info, and very informative links. I spend hours, searching, and saving posts so when i getto the point, i can just look in my book marks, and find all the info i need.

I have moved on to the rear of the car, and the r200.

I have a bunch of info to read, but im a little confused on the language.

I learned that my 260 has an r180. And an r200 is stonger.

What does an r200 come in? Whats an r230? Whats a q45?

I learned there are different r200s maybe? some links say they are all the same, some mention a q45, is that a type of r200? some are different lenghts?

I know LSD is limited slip, Whats VLSD, and CLSD

the lingo is whats gettin me.

And then theres the z30. z31, z32 talk, whatis all that?

I think a z30 is the first gen z's? when do z31's start?

I hate posting, cause i know you guys harp on using the search, and belive me, i have, sorryguys.

If anyone has anygood r200 links, let me know.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Q45 is a car model, specifically the Q45 Infinity. You'll find a few threads talking about what diff actually came in these cars, but most people now agree that they come with an R200 VLSD (viscous limited slip differential).

r200s come in some 280s, and i wanna say all 280zx's. An r230 is an even stronger diff and the q45 you mention is one of the cars it comes in. Ya know, an Infiniti Q45. The r230 also came in the z32 300zx (90-96.)

As far as there being different r200s, i would say they are talking about the diff ratios they have. Now onto the z31, z32 mess, these are chasis codes for the different Z cars

s30 (1970-1978)

s130(1979-1983)

z31(1984-1989)

z32(1990-1996)

z33(2003 - )

(if any of this is wrong anyone feel free to correct me)

r200s come in some 280s' date=' and i wanna say all 280zx's. An r230 is an even stronger diff and the q45 you mention is one of the cars it comes in. Ya know, an Infiniti Q45. The r230 also came in the z32 300zx (90-96.)

As far as there being different r200s, i would say they are talking about the diff ratios they have. Now onto the z31, z32 mess, these are chasis codes for the different Z cars

s30 (1970-1978)

s130(1979-1983)

z31(1984-1989)

z32(1990-1996)

z33(2003 - )

(if any of this is wrong anyone feel free to correct me)[/quote']

Wow, thanks bud. So will the r230 just fit right in there like the r200?

Whats the long nose and short nose about? i will get obviously getting my driveshaft cut, or a new longer one, so does it matter?

how can one r200 be longer if they are all the same?

Bart's right. The Q45 diff is an R200VLSD unit. The V stands for the Viscous type limited slip unit, a bit different from the 87-89 1st gen 300ZX LSDs.

The 2nd Gen 300ZX came with the R230 which is sizably lager and shown in pics Jamie and Took, found here: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z Look in some of the various Zcar folders for pics of the comparisons.

Mike

A viscous LSD has a fluid inside it that expands quickly to cause the diff to become a LSD? Thats best as I understand it, I also forget to mention that the z31 turbo starting in April 1987 was equipped with a clutch type LSD and i beleive in 1988 they changed it over to a VLSD, these were both r200s

The VLSD works like a fluid coupling. Kinda like a torque converter. I don't think the fluid expands. It's the vanes attached to the side gears moving through the viscous fluid that makes it resistant to spinning.

CLSD= clutch LSD.

More info here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm including a description of clutch, viscous, and kind of a crappy writeup on Torsens.

VLSD contains a silicon fluid in the limited slip carrier. Not to be confused with the gear oil that is in the diff and lubricates the bearings and gears.

This fluid behaves similar to dry sand on the beach. Walk slowly over the sand and you sink because the sand moves from under you feet. This is like taking a slow corner at low speeds.

Run on the sand and it gives very little. This equates to hammering the car thru a turn. Quick hard force creates resistance in the VSLD carrier and both wheels spin for a nice tail out exit from the turn adn a big grin.

Sweet. So, my final 3 questions i think.

1. If i get an r200 without an lsd, just a normal open differential, can i buy aftermarket lsds?

2. Are all r200s the exact same?

3. all i need is the mustache bar from a 280z and thats it?! its ready to install

1. Yes. http://www.westcoastdifferentials.com or http://www.reiderracing.com/pgpowerbrute.htm or do a search on this site for a Quaife torsen type LSD.

2. No. The R200's from 1975 to 1986 used a 10mm bolt where the 1987 to 1989 R200's used a 12mm bolt. 10mm aftermarket CLSD assemblies are not made anymore and are hard to find. 12mm CLSD assemblies are still being manufactured. You have three options, get a 12mm R200 out of an '87 to '89 300ZX or use an existing 10mm R200 and get 2mm thick spacers to fill the gap. This has been done successfully on many builds. Or get a Quaife torsen LSD that is drilled for both 10mm and 12mm bolts. This is what I got for my Turbo car. But expect to pay more than double for the Quaife although it is guaranteed for life under any conditions and requires no rebuilding like a clutch LSD does. The Quaife is pretty close to a set it and forget it option. But $1299 for a Quaife vs. $600 for a CLSD is hard for some people to stomach.

3. Mostly. But you need to make sure the 280Z has the R200 and not an R180. The R180's were installed in the Z car all the way up to 1983. Usually in the automatics. So, if you find a manual transmission car, you'll have a much better chance of getting an R200 mustache bar out of it.

Oh yeah, check out this sticky in the very forum you posted this:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103512

Good luck!

Since you mentioned the r200 VLSD rear end in the Q45, I have a question regarding them. Are they more reliable and any stronger than the r200 LSD? The r200 VLSD's are a dime a dozen in Dallas, Tx. and r200 LSD's are not.

Mike

zfan, im in fort worth, where do you find them?

So not all r200s have an LSD, right?

My brother in law, has a few '85 turbo cars, maybe one is an 84, maybe an 86, i dont remember. he says i can have the differential. From what i haev read, those dont have LSDs so would it even be worth it?

I dont want to spend $1299 on anLSD.

whats with this short and long nose r200s? is that the 12mm and 10mm bolt?

I have found several early nineties Q45's around. Found 2 at the Pick-N-Pull in Grand Prarie and at awsome auto salvage and u-pick-u-pull all on Jefferson in Grand Prarie.

I believe awsome if I remember right has a flat 39.99 for any rear end, of course you pull!

Mike

great! so a VLSD is good? im sure i can find one in kennedale, maybe ill pickup a spare. Whats the going rate for them?

Will and q45 work?

How come some have 6 bolts on the output shaft (i think thats what it is)

my datsun has 4. I thought i would bolt right up with a mustache bar..

Bare with me. I Have never messed with IRS before, ive done plenty of rearend work on my '79 malibu, this IRS stuff is like learning to ride a bike again.

I dont know anything about IRS, or the parts names.

I know im coming across as a moron. I have done tons of stuff, including some fab work to my malibu, and '69 chevy, this little datsun is a little different from my normal line of work.

I really am not so sure about the r200 VLSD, I had a r200 LSD but it when boom. I am currently entertaining a solid axle rear end or the r200/r230 VLSD swap. The R200 VLSD swap is cheaper for sure, probably 7-800 to do the whole swap.

The only thing that sucks is I recently did the whole r200 LSD/ CV axle/billet adapter swap into my Z so I will have to start over if I choose to go VLSD.

Maybe I will pony up and spend the bucks for a r200 LSD to replace my broken one. Right now I am borrowing my friends r200 LSD. Got to love friends like that but I do have to remember to not hammer it!

Mike