HybridZ

Talkin the talk... q45 r230 r200 z30 & so on & so on

HarrisonTX

Not that simple. You need 1 rear diff., 4 axles from the r200 VLSD, custom axles and adapters plus have your mustache bar redrilled. I think that covers it all.

Mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need VLSD CV axles to run the VLSD. They have a different spline count than the open diffs or the CLSD's. Mark mentioned Leith280zlt1, he was putting NEW clutch LSD's into a diff with the ratio of your choice and selling the assembled unit for a very reasonable price. If you go that way you can use your existing halfshafts and it will just plug right in with 280 mustache bar. The only other thing that might need some attention is the yoke. The 300ZX R200's came with a different yoke. The 280Z or 280ZX yokes bolt right up to your existing driveshaft.

So, a CLSD r200 will bolt right up. I will toss out the VLSD idea

What are the price ranges for r200s with a clutch LSD?

How can i spot a VLSD so i know to stay away from it?

What is the name of the part with 6 holes?

the halfshafts bolt up to that right?

I only have 4 bolt holes?

are these all q45 r200's?

Will someone explain this

lineup4.jpg

The part with the 6 holes is a stub shaft. That stub shaft fits into the side of the diff, and then there is a stub AXLE on the wheel end which you are probably thinking of as a spindle. The stub axle is the side with the lug studs on it, then on the inside there is a small separate piece called a companion flange. The companion flange has 4 holes in it.

Then there is a halfshaft which connects the diff's stub shaft to the stub axle. Yours has 4 studs on the stub shaft end and 4 holes on the companion flange end because your diff uses the U-jointed halfshafts.

The newer diffs use CV jointed halfshafts instead. The CV's are stronger. If you have the VLSD you HAVE to convert to the special stubs and CV's that fit the VLSD. As explained before this is expensive as you need shorter custom shafts, and you end up needing 4 CV shafts to get all of the proper CV joints to make the new shafts work. PITA and expensive.

With an open diff or a CLSD you can use the original stub shaft and the U-jointed halfshaft. Just slide the stub shafts into the diff and bolt up your U-jointed halfshafts.

If you want something stronger that will handle more torque you can convert to CV shafts from a 280ZX Turbo or a 300ZX turbo with adapters made by Modern Motorsports - http://www.modern-motorsports.com. I think they make the necessary pieces to use the VLSD CV shafts as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this was noted already but the long nose R200 and the short nose R200 share the same 8 bolt diffy cover bolt pattern. This means the covers should swap over. This also means you should not need to redrill your mustache bar.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Now that I have the 450Z running, I find that it's "one wheeling" around most of the corners. If you look at the first vid here you'll see what I mean: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982

Has anybody had any luck rebuilding one of these diffs? Or should I be looking for a lower mileage unit to replace mine?

Let me know as I need to get all of this new found power to hook up.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to clarify some information I read on here.

All Q45's used the R200 casing, however they use 300ZX TT SIZED hubs, output shafts, and axles. They also use the same spline count, so you can use a 300ZX Hub or a Q45 hub when upgrading to the Q45 differential.

I think most people look at the size of the axles, hubs, and output shafts and assume it's a R230 diff.

The 90-96 Q45 used a 3.54 and the 97-01 used a 3.69 final gear.

The 90-96 Q45 uses the same 6-bolt axles as the ones found in the 300ZX TT, not sure about the 97+ as I haven't pulled one from a junkyard yet.

This differential is the best kept secret for the Nissan enthusiast who doesn't want to have to spend the money to modify their subframe for the R230 300ZX TT differential.

I have been having a problem with my R200 (Non-VLSD 240SX) differential breaking output shafts. The output shafts are way too tiny, and snap inside the differential.

With the Q45 differential, the output shafts are literally about 2 1/2 inch thick, or about twice the size of the output shafts found in the R200 240SX diff.

Just some food for thought.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

This thread was purged of the elementary Datsun Diff questions/posts.

If you don’t know if the 280-Z "came with" an LSD, please do NOT ask that here!

If you don’t know if the Z-31 R-200 can handle V-8 power with an automatic, Don’t ask that here!!!

All that stuff has been beat to death and most likely answered in other “sticky” threads, so please search and read more, and don’t ask elementary questions in the "stickys"!!!!!

Please keep this on topic.

Thank you,

Paul Ruschman

HybridZ staff

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting around to reading the nitty-gritty on the differential thing just now.. and perusing through the stickies in this sub-forum, it seems a little crowded.

I would hesitantly suggest that this thread no longer hold enough merit on its own for it to remain a Sticky.. Jmortensen's encyclopedic post regarding rear diffies in our Z-cars MORE than covered every subject covered here. *Maybe* add a brief "language primer" (r230, VLSD, q45 etc) to the first post in JM's thread.. but other than that, this thread is confusing, incomplete, meandering, and not as easy to digest and absorb as the two other stickies covering this topic; namely, JM's "Diff/CV/LSD/....." thread and the "complete differential list (please help)" thread started by cyrus.

OP of this thread: I am sorry to denigrate your thread here, but I make this suggestion for the good of the Land. Mods: If you disagree, please simply delete this posting, with my humble apologies :D

• 1 month later...

Oh sweet Christ. I have to clear up a few things since this is a sticky and is full of a bunch of wrong information.

All Z31's (84-89 300zx) came with LONG NOSE R200's

Later 87's-89 z31 TURBO'S ONLY ALL came with some form of LSD (Mostly CLSD)

ONLY the 88SS z31 came with the R200 Vlsd

VERY FEW 88 turbo's are the SS model.

ONLY the 90-96 Q45's(some say 89) have the R200VLSD with the beefy 6 bolt input shafts (30 spline) which are the same as the TT's (30 spline), and they ARE NOT twice the size of the 240sx splines which are 29 spline.

The 90-96 Q45's carrier (inside parts) will swap over to the 84-89 z31 r200 case. All that is needed is to swap ring gears. But then you have to custom make half shafts. This is where I am at now.

97 q45's do have the R200vlsd but it IS NOT the larger one like the 90-96. ONLY THE 6 BOLTS input shafts are the beefy 30 spline.

I have told a guy with a 90 model TT R230 that the popular S14 240SX/300Z brake conversion will not work due to the 29 spline axle vs 30 spline issue and that he needs a 90-96 300Z non turbo hub/brake assembly. My motive is to buy this from him but I think from what everyone is posting, I am not lying. I have a 95 Q45 complete assembly located but my 350 SBC roller cam is over 400HP and I am concerned about strength if I run the intended M/T ETs. Although I have broken u joints on the long nosed R200, I have never had differential problems including the phantom grip lsd.