HybridZ

Talkin the talk... q45 r230 r200 z30 & so on & so on

HarrisonTX

I have told a guy with a 90 model TT R230 that the popular S14 240SX/300Z brake conversion will not work due to the 29 spline axle vs 30 spline issue and that he needs a 90-96 300Z non turbo hub/brake assembly. My motive is to buy this from him but I think from what everyone is posting, I am not lying. I have a 95 Q45 complete assembly located but my 350 SBC roller cam is over 400HP and I am concerned about strength if I run the intended M/T ETs. Although I have broken u joints on the long nosed R200, I have never had differential problems including the phantom grip lsd.

I ran the long nose R200 with a clsd and the 29 splines and pulled these numbers. My car weighs about 3000lbs and I make somewhere in the neighborhood of 450whp. Your 30 spline should be MORE than enough to hold the power/torque.

TimeSlip4.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased the 90 R230 TT setup less calipers and drums which I can get new Wagner parts for $250 or Brembos for quite a bit more. It only had 80K miles. Also, it looks like the 2000 Q45 rotors and calipers may work.

PS: I needed a muscled up friend to help me put the R230 in the back of a 4X4 truck. It is h_e_a_v-y!

I have told a guy with a 90 model TT R230 that the popular S14 240SX/300Z brake conversion will not work due to the 29 spline axle vs 30 spline issue and that he needs a 90-96 300Z non turbo hub/brake assembly. My motive is to buy this from him but I think from what everyone is posting, I am not lying. I have a 95 Q45 complete assembly located but my 350 SBC roller cam is over 400HP and I am concerned about strength if I run the intended M/T ETs. Although I have broken u joints on the long nosed R200, I have never had differential problems including the phantom grip lsd.

Just so you know, you can take your carrier out of your 95 short nose case and put it into your long nose case. This will save you some fabrication on diff mounts and what not. The only thing you have to do is switch ring gears, as the pinion gear is obviously going to be different lengths in long and short nose. Gotta keep them matching.

• 1 month later...
Guest seminoles2005

i was in a local junkyard when i spotted a z31. When i walked up to the car it had all of its numbers missing, what i mean by this it did not state what month/year it was made. The junkyard i was at puts the year and name of the car on its side and it said 1987 and it was a turbo model. I got under and looked at the differential and saw that it had the smooth cover and not a finned differential cover.

I wrote the vin number down and did a search but i didnt feel like getting a subscription for carfax just to see if maybe they will list the month of the car. I know that starting april of 87 they started putting the clsd in the turbo models but theirs no way telling what month this car was made in.

I decided to drop the differential and take it with me. If anyone can tell me a way to check if its a clsd differential or just a normal lsd thatd be great. Or even check its carfax for me if itll say the month.

JN1CZ14S4HX151188

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JN1CZ14S4HX151188&PopUpStatus=0

thanks.

• 1 month later...
i was in a local junkyard when i spotted a z31. When i walked up to the car it had all of its numbers missing, what i mean by this it did not state what month/year it was made. The junkyard i was at puts the year and name of the car on its side and it said 1987 and it was a turbo model. I got under and looked at the differential and saw that it had the smooth cover and not a finned differential cover.

I wrote the vin number down and did a search but i didnt feel like getting a subscription for carfax just to see if maybe they will list the month of the car. I know that starting april of 87 they started putting the clsd in the turbo models but theirs no way telling what month this car was made in.

I decided to drop the differential and take it with me. If anyone can tell me a way to check if its a clsd differential or just a normal lsd thatd be great. Or even check its carfax for me if itll say the month.

JN1CZ14S4HX151188

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JN1CZ14S4HX151188&PopUpStatus=0

thanks.

If it did not have the finned cover then chances are good that the previous owner DID NOT swap in the CLSD or VLSD along with not bothering to change to the finned cover. If you have the diff apart, you can look at the pinion gears inside. If it has four of them, it is an LSD, if it only has two, then it is an open diff.

Sorry for the late reply

• 1 year later...

I posted in this thread earlier that the 90-96 Q45 input shafts and the R230 input shafts are the same spline count and diameter. THIS IS WRONG. They are NOT the same diameter. The R230 spline diameter is 1mm larger than the Q45 spline. As far as spline count goes, I am still trying to figure out of the R230 is a 30 spline like the Q45 or if it is a 31 spline. Anyone know 100% by counting?

• 3 weeks later...
r200s come in some 280s, and i wanna say all 280zx's.......................................................

(if any of this is wrong anyone feel free to correct me)

Actually my source says only 280zx 2+2 manuals came with R200's. The 280zx automatic's and non-2+2's came with R180's.

http://www.zcarpartsindex.com/index.php?title=Differential_Listing

Here's my source, it has more detail about all Z's differentials, and other parts. I think every Z owner interested in modifying their car should have this link.

• 3 months later...

Okay all j30 are r200 viscous lsd Q45 are r230 they are to big. So this is how i builded one i found a r200 out of a 86 300zx longnose with 3.70 gears just look at the trans speedo gear they are color coded blue. Than i took a j30 r200 viscous shortnose i took it apart and remove the inner hub and bearing and races take the ring gear off it want help you. Now take the 300zx r200 diff cover off remove the inner hub dont mix any parts the shim that is on the left must go back on the left and the one thats on the right must go back on the right. Now remove the ring gear they both have 12mm bolts. Now install the 300zx ring gear on the j30 viscous hub clean and use locktite. Put the j30 hub inside the 300zx housing with the j30 races now put the shim that was on the left side back and the one on the right back install everthing back and tighten the back lash should be the same as it was on the 300zx before you took it apart. r200 is finshed dont forget oil. now you can use the driver side r200 alxe from a 280z the splines are the same. here is the trickey part you need the pasenger axle from the j30 its longer and must be used or you want have pos track. What i did is cut the five bolt flange off and my friend finshed it down with a lath than i took the a r200 axle from a 280z and cut the shaft as close as i could get to the yoke than i finshed it down with a grinder and sander than i put them together in the lath so they would be centered and spot welded them with a mig i did not weld the shafts are they will break. I spot welded all around than i welded in the lath it came out perfect i installed this in my 1971 240z with some other parts from a 280z and drove it today about 80 miles it great i have pictures if somebody needs to see them but i dont know how to put them on this site im new. but if somebody needs them you can email me at hlambjr@satx.rr.com and i will be able to send them to you i hope this can help somebody it wasnt hard.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay all j30 are r200 viscous lsd Q45 are r230 they are to big. So this is how i builded one i found a r200 out of a 86 300zx longnose with 3.70 gears just look at the trans speedo gear they are color coded blue. Than i took a j30 r200 viscous shortnose i took it apart and remove the inner hub and bearing and races take the ring gear off it want help you. Now take the 300zx r200 diff cover off remove the inner hub dont mix any parts the shim that is on the left must go back on the left and the one thats on the right must go back on the right. Now remove the ring gear they both have 12mm bolts. Now install the 300zx ring gear on the j30 viscous hub clean and use locktite. Put the j30 hub inside the 300zx housing with the j30 races now put the shim that was on the left side back and the one on the right back install everthing back and tighten the back lash should be the same as it was on the 300zx before you took it apart. r200 is finshed dont forget oil. now you can use the driver side r200 alxe from a 280z the splines are the same. here is the trickey part you need the pasenger axle from the j30 its longer and must be used or you want have pos track. What i did is cut the five bolt flange off and my friend finshed it down with a lath than i took the a r200 axle from a 280z and cut the shaft as close as i could get to the yoke than i finshed it down with a grinder and sander than i put them together in the lath so they would be centered and spot welded them with a mig i did not weld the shafts are they will break. I spot welded all around than i welded in the lath it came out perfect i installed this in my 1971 240z with some other parts from a 280z and drove it today about 80 miles it great i have pictures if somebody needs to see them but i dont know how to put them on this site im new. but if somebody needs them you can email me at hlambjr@satx.rr.com and i will be able to send them to you i hope this can help somebody it wasnt hard.

Lots of information here, but it is very hard to read due to the spelling, grammar and run on sentences. Looks like there is good info here, but just hard to make out.

Correction though. The Q45 differential is NOT an R230 like the twin turbo differential. It has a 200mm ring gear and will fit inside the R200 case from an 88 300zx.. I have personally done it with pictures to prove it. However the splines ARE larger than the z31 series and the s130 series differentials. Along with almost all other R200's for that matter.

• 2 months later...

Lots of information here, but it is very hard to read due to the spelling, grammar and run on sentences. Looks like there is good info here, but just hard to make out.

Correction though. The Q45 differential is NOT an R230 like the twin turbo differential. It has a 200mm ring gear and will fit inside the R200 case from an 88 300zx.. I have personally done it with pictures to prove it. However the splines ARE larger than the z31 series and the s130 series differentials. Along with almost all other R200's for that matter.

Agreed on all points. The differences is the 90-96 Q45 R200V is a 6 bolt output shaft, 3.54 ratio, the 97-2001 Q45 R200V is a 5 bolt shaft, 3.69 ratio (same as the TT). For a Z32, two ways to adapt, drill the input shaft with holes that fit the Z32 axle or swap the input shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it seem that no one buys an aftermarket lsd like a KAAZ from a 240sx and swap it in ? Did any one try it . I would have a good deal on one and i want feed back a little ?

Edited by Wedge

Why does it seem that no one buys an aftermarket lsd like a KAAZ from a 240sx and swap it in ? Did any one try it . I would have a good deal on one and i want feed back a little ?

They do, its called a Quaife.

Yes but Kaaz's seem to more readily available and slightly cheaper than Quife's. So I'm kind of in the same boat with him in wondering why it isn't done more often.

But I heard the LSD's for the 240sx's 12mm bolt diff's will work for older 12mm R200's. True?

Yes but Kaaz's seem to more readily available and slightly cheaper than Quife's. So I'm kind of in the same boat with him in wondering why it isn't done more often.

But I heard the LSD's for the 240sx's 12mm bolt diff's will work for older 12mm R200's. True?

It seems you can swap any aftermarket LSD made for non lsd 240sx and they will fit. I guess I will buy one and try its not like its going to be hard to sell if doent fit anyway and at first I was looking at an OBX helical but they dont seem to be of very good quality even when you upgrade the bolts.

And the other thing I am wondering is if all the DIY web sites that shows way to swap in lsds in 240sx open diff, will they work in a R200 long nose from a Z ?

If it is an R200 then it will work. Long nose/short nose does not matter. What matters is the ring gear/pinion shaft combo. You have to keep those the same. If it is a short nose case, then you need the short pinion shaft and mating ring gear to go with it. If it is a long nose, you need to have the long pinion shaft and accompanying ring gear.