HybridZ

Highest Numbers for NA Stroker?

Marduke

I've seen lots of threads on build ups etc. But, the vast majority of dyno numbers that I have come across have been the turbo guys bragging (and rightfully so).

I want to know who has the big impressive numbers on a NA stroker? The only one I've seen with numbers is the guy with the Rebello Racing motor. I think his name is Jason ... nice car by the way.

Is there anyone else with numbers approaching the 350 range? Is that about the max you can make and still have a "streetable" car?

I apoligize in advance if I missed a thread that I should have picked up on.

hey your in simi... I got a l24 for sale.... you want it? Ill give you a deal... i just need to get rid of it befor i ship out end of the month.... its strong and i have a 4 speed that was rebuilt less then 5000 miles ago..... only reason i took it out was for V-8 power!!

Is there anyone else with numbers approaching the 350 range? Is that about the max you can make and still have a "streetable" car?

I would say no, having owned a racing 320hp 3L. To get real horsepower numbers around 300 and above you have to start bumping the compression beyond what 91 octane can support. The biggest horsepower number NA L6s are all racing 2.4L engines with some 9,000 rpm "special" engines reaching a rumored 365 horsepower. There are probably some drag racing stroker engines over in Japan that make bigger numbers but I know nothing about them.

Yeah there was some scpecial I watched that had a pure drag old school maxima with L6 making I think 600hp+. I'm being conservitive with the HP,It was a while ago that I saw it but I do remember it doing about high 6s on the 1/4 mile. I don't remeber if it was NA or turboed though. Guess that wouldn't be streetable huh.:mrgreen:

I think most streetable engines around aroun 200-250hp NA

I'm hoping to put down 210-220 with my NA setup

and as mentioned it takes ALOT of money. I'm now running MSnSE

fuel log, 60mm tb, custom intake, ported and polished and shaved N47 head (would love an N42) with a race cam from Japan, stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float, also standard 6-2-1 header 2 1/2" exhaust. Also I need to go to zx injectors as NA injectors approach very high duty loads around 3k and up.

When i get some money and more tunning i wanna get it dynoed.

till then, broke college student

-Ed

313 engine dyno (before any jetting changes) and 260 rwhp on chassis dyno. after some jetting changes it went to 269 rwhp then going from 2.5 to 3" exhaust our best was 278 rwhp) on our Rebello 3.2 stroker NA. thats with 9.7:1 compression on 91 octane. idles smooth at 750 and very streetable..

320hp at 6,800 rpm and 275 ft. lbs. at 5,900 rpm (SAE corrected and tested engine dyno). At least 200 ft. lbs. of torque from 3,800 rpm to redline at 7,500 rpm. From 276 to 294 whp on 3 different chassis dynos. 13.6 to 1 compression, 3.0L, Motec, lots of other stuff. Not streetable and not happy under 4,000 rpm.

Does the fact that Tony got 286 whp at 14:1 and John Coffey got 287 whp at 13.5:1 make you wonder about your 278whp at 9.5:1 Brian? Cause it makes me wonder...

i dont wonder at all...cause if you calculate the weight of our car with driver at 2710 lbs as weighed on calibrated digital 4 corner racing scales and plug it in to the 12.68 at 109.5 run we did then it is close to being accurate i think, but correct me if i am wrong. i know we arent over 10:1 compression either as we run it on pump 91 gas and have even run it on 87 octane with no problems either.

anyway, its a mute point and has been argued for over a year now on exact rwhp, then we went to the track and people were scratching their heads how we did it.

on a side note, the car is up for sale as we are heading off in a different direction with racing our Z06, Pontiac sd-455 and my sons new Yamaha R1 and are now in the market for a older Viper(97-2002) to race also. the Datsun has just taken a backseat to our other toys.

Does the fact that Tony got 286 whp at 14:1 and John Coffey got 287 whp at 13.5:1 make you wonder about your 278whp at 9.5:1 Brian? Cause it makes me wonder...

That's the difference between "east coast" horsepower and "west coast" horsepower. :) JohnC's engine dyno numbers were east coast. Rebello's numbers for the same engine (been there, dyno'd that) are always higher. Chassis dyno numbers are always argueable.

That's the difference between "east coast" horsepower and "west coast" horsepower. :) JohnC's engine dyno numbers were east coast. Rebello's numbers for the same engine (been there, dyno'd that) are always higher. Chassis dyno numbers are always argueable.

well...good assumption...but the chassis dyno numbers are not Rebellos... good try though!

I think what Keith was saying was that chassis dyno numbers are inherently all over the map and not repeatable. For my engine in my chassis I saw:

From 276 to 294 whp on 3 different chassis dynos.

I made no changes in engine tune after the first baseline at 276. Subsequent chaissis dyno runs were done chasing a cooling system problem and breaking in a new ring and pinion. The differences I saw were 6.5% which shows how inaccurate chassis dynos are for measuring power.

One of the big issues is that there are no SAE standards for chassis dyno setup, operation, measurement, and correction. Without those standards there is no way to compare numbers generated from on chassis dyno to another or from one day's testing to another on the same chassis dyno.

Just because I have a chassis dyno run showing 294 whp doesn't mean my engine is making more power then someone else's chassis dyno run that showed 276 whp.