HybridZ

Flat 4 ... Subaru WRX STI motor? mmm CG

proxlamus©

Soo... I've been researching..

why hasn't anyone done a horizontal (flat) 4 motor swap?

Hell 300bHP out of the box, LOW center of gravity.. and a beautiful growling sound?

Imagine the room in the engine bay too!! could probably do a nice V-mount setup with the intercooler and radiator...

Oh and if a H4 is too small for you.. Subaru also has a 3.0L H-6 that came in the outbacks

I was looking at WRX motors on ebay the other day wondering the same thing. Only thing I would be concerned with is how wide the motors are being flat 4's and the Z's narrow engine bay. Of course I havent seen a Subi flat 4 outside of a WRX so its hard to tell but it would make a killer combo in my opinion. Those motors are great powerplants.

• Administrators

LMAO… You’ve been reading TOO much KIT-PLANES!!! (Great magazine for the aviation enthusiast by the way…)

In all seriousness, I have been contemplating a Vans RV kit or the Zenith CH801 with a either Eggenfellner Suby or one that I personally build…

http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/index1.html

haha.. damnit BRAAP...

I was reading http://www.getnet.com/~bdhull/engine.html and http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/alwick/Ej%2025%20engine.html and http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/

Eggenfellner has awsome packages =)

I figured, hell if it's great for an airplane, it would be great for a car ;)

WRX engines are fun and 300 out of the box is nice, but,,,,they start to fall apart at 375, unless your really careful. meaning your gonna have to buy an expensive engine and completely rebuild it with stronger parts becuase we all have boost addictions and will never be satisified without adding one more psi. Which I know would be a shortside for me. Otherqwise, what would you do about trans options. the car is wider and shorter and there isnt a tranny i know thats only rwd. Maybe im wrong. Maybe you could adapt another trans to work. But the awd setup would require rediculous fabrication, and budget. But, if you could get around those obsticles it would be pretty cool. I would be jealous for sure.

I have an old aircooled vw type 4 engine laying about unused.

Low horsepower but engine weighs next to nothing.

no water cooling needed would make for an intresting hoodline.

difficulty: which way does the motor spin on tranny side?

and machining of an adapter to house clutch/starter/etc.

definatly a crazy cyril project.

Also wanted to an electric Z conversion, but nearly fainted

when saw the price list for componets.

-C

i used to be with the suby community and what people used to do with the wrx's and rs's to convert to rwd (mainly for drifting) was to weld up the center diff and then plug up the front cv's. there was also a japanese company that made a kit to do it but i can't remember who they were exactly. just search the suby forums (i-club.com, nasioc.com, or rs25.com).

A freind of mine has a WRX RS and he's getting the new STI motor put in soon (started last week). I've seen his engine bay, it might be a little bit wider than a Z, but not THAT much wider. It's still a small car to begin with.

I think it would fit, but what's the point if you don't have the AWD? But if you where only looking for 300 reliable HP I guess it would be a good choice. They're not cheep motors though. (the new ones anyways)

i used to be with the suby community and what people used to do with the wrx's and rs's to convert to rwd (mainly for drifting) was to weld up the center diff and then plug up the front cv's. there was also a japanese company that made a kit to do it but i can't remember who they were exactly. just search the suby forums (i-club.com, nasioc.com, or rs25.com).

WTF I utsa hang out with a few skyline guys that just had like A VSD I think it was called and set the car to all rear bias for drift... why do all that to kill the AWD?... also AWD drift is HOT...... I've seen Umm one of the Vr-4s drifting localy when i was into drift (not a GTO, it was a Galant) I've seen other AWD drifters too not to mention the Evo's are HOT drift cars and are AWD....

Although none of you have been to Mt. Haruna... Ill tell you this AWD drift > RWD > FWD (YES FWD drift CAN BE DONE I've seen an EF drift... Done by Kyle Arai at a few Drift events....