HybridZ

Brakes?

Guest Anonymous

No. Arizona Z brake kit for the rear does not, at least the several year old version I have.

I've considered making a bracket to attacht to their bracket that mounts one of those small mechanical (e-brake) calipers. They are only a pound or so. Also a buck and a half a piece or more frown.gif.

That was THE reason I didn't use those brakes in the beginning. However, Now that I'm going to run Antique tags, all that has changed. I'm looking at maybe running the front four piston caliper/ rotor setup I have on the front on the back....

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Mikelly, yeah, the no Ebrake thing would cause problems at the inspection station. SInce I live in a state that only requires safety inspection when a car is re-registered, I decided years ago when I took the car off the road (thinking it would only be a few years - hah) I left the cheap liability insurance on it and kept renewing the registration. It's cost me a few hundred a year to keep it insured, but at least I don't have to be worried about the inspection Nazi's.

I do think I will put those e-brake mechanical calipers on though - shouldn't be a big deal to do.

Guest Carlissimo

I have the Toyota 4-piston calipers on the front of mine too. They work great for casual street driving.

I discovered a new limit now though that you may wish to be aware of with that setup. The other day, I boiled the break fluid while driving (and braking) moderately hard on closed course.

It really surprised me when the pedal went right to the floor.

Apparently, with the better calipers I can generate lots of heat. Now I need to do some things to get rid of it. The best thing I think would be vented rotors.

----------

Carlo Rao 327 5-speed

Carlo, what brake fluid are you using and how old is it? Which rotor are you using?

Four things I did:

Use the larger caliper from a V6 toyota 4x4 truck, use the 300zx vented rotor, which sheads heat, and use a hi boiling point fluid (500 degrees or more), which is changed before every race course romp. I also use 4inch brake ducts to help cool the front rotors.

Ford has a Hi Temp dot4 fluid that BAER racing recommends, and I have had good success using Valvoline Syntech fluid, which is also dot4. However, it is highly recommended to change the fluid in your system once per year, even on street cars. This is exactly why I have Russel Speed Bleeds. I have the best brake pedal feel I have ever had since installing those units on all my calipers.

This helped a bunch with boiling woes... did away with it!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited March 10, 2000).]

Guest Carlissimo

Mike,

I have fresh Valvoline DOT 4 fluid. I think ducting and maybe some different pads might help a little (I have even thought of a concept of adding water spray for on the track use). My gut feel though is that the problem will not be really fixed unless I go with some vented rotors like you have.

--------

Carlo Rao 327 5-Speed