HybridZ

New Toy-No Worky

Guest ArchAngel432

Guest ArchAngel432

I just bought a 1973 240Z and its in pretty rough shape. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on where to start. Oh and the car has been sitting still for 3 years!

I'd probably start by doing tons of research,planning,and expectations,for starters.You definately came to the right site.Check out the members galleries for ideas,and use the Search key up top for any Z question you can possibly have,because believe me,It's stocked with useful information that will help you each step of the way.I bought mine in October 05,and I started with gutting the car completely,and working on fixing structural rust,and frame strengthening.Check out my photos in the members gallery.The front suspension is almost complete,minus a couple of setbacks,but I think working from the front to the rear,is a pretty good basic start.IMO.I've been a member for a little while,and I've got to tell you,if it wasn't for this site,My Z wouldn't be a 1/4 as badass as it's going to be.Good luck,and have fun!:rockon:

Well first I would change all the fluids, including the gas. Do a complete tune up(cap, rotor, and wires). Then your probably going to have to go through the carbs because the gas that was in them is probably more like varnish now. So they will probably need some new gaskets.

If you arent going to keep the original drivetrain then dont bother with any of that. Just rip it out and start with the rust repair!

Guy

First of all, I would go through the car and check for spare change. Who knows, you might find a few dollars, and if it was a former drug runner, you might find a whole stash of cash that someone forgot about.
lol I found like $30 in quarters when I removed the center console in mine lol. I suggest use some penetrating lub insid the chambers to loosen up some rust(as mentioned before) and also change the fuides (also mentioned before), check if the battery is good and check the fuses/relays.

Interesting - ex naval aviator here. I'll be in Pensacola the Week of May 15th for some R&R with the family. Used to hassle with OV-10 pilots all the time when I was training at Whiting Field.

BTW - if the car has been sitting for 3 years you also need to drop the fuel tank, inspect it, and probably clean a lot of rust & crap out of it. Then new fuel lines & filters.